Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would share my MPG Avg at 20k and see what others are getting. I’m averaging between 22-23 using 87. It would be lower if I had more trail time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I just got mine a couple months ago and only have around 4K miles on it at this point. My overall average is 23.3 mpg. It hasn’t seen any trail time yet, but it did spend several hours on the sand in OBX. I have been pleasantly surprised with the mileage, but I’m sure it will be dropping in the near future once I put the lift, wheels, and tires on it.

·
Super Moderator
11,787 Posts
Mine barely breaks 18-19 MPG.

Between the 35 inch tires, short 1-mile runs to Trader Joe’s and the gym, and the ocasional trail ride, it is a miracle I get that much.

I have the V6 with the 8-speed auto and Selec-Trac.

·
Premium Member
7,626 Posts
My wife used to average 17 mpg as a dd with her old 2013 JK Sahara. Now she averages 21-22 mpg as a dd under the same driving conditions with her 2020 JLU Recon 2.0T and eTorque. Everything is pretty much stock.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Typically driving to and from work (mostly highway) I do about 21 mpg. I will be heading out to Colorado from Virginia and curious what I’ll get on that trip. Did have a bit a haul the other day only using highway and was up around 24 mpg. I’m sitting around 10,500 miles

Reactions: Jawjadawg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just got mine a couple months ago and only have around 4K miles on it at this point. My overall average is 23.3 mpg. It hasn’t seen any trail time yet, but it did spend several hours on the sand in OBX. I have been pleasantly surprised with the mileage, but I’m sure it will be dropping in the near future once I put the lift, wheels, and tires on it.

Yes it will change with those but if that is your priority...I don't plan on monkeying while its my daily driver or I break something on the trail lol

·
Registered
371 Posts
Mine barely breaks 18-19 MPG.

Between the 35 inch tires, short 1-mile runs to Trader Joe’s and the gym, and the ocasional trail ride, it is a miracle I get that much.

I have the V6 with the 8-speed auto and Selec-Trac.
I believe from seeing pics of your Jeep ours are pretty close to identical, being stock, same engine, trans, and tires. I've had mine up to 22mpg.. Right now I'm hovering between 20.9 - 21.2mpg. My driving mostly consists of an 18 mile drive to and from work, mostly county roads and a short stretch of a two lane state route. Another 18 mile trip on same type of roads to our favorite watering hole on weekends. Very little interstate miles, and no trails to date..

·
Registered
32 Posts
2.0T also. I average around 22 per tank. Mostly city.
The one thing not mentioned much about this engine is the sound. It really sounds like a Turbo diesel at idle. And the turbo whine is awesome when you get one it. The sound makes me smile more than the MPG.
Is there any way to open the sound up more? Not a fan of CAI it threw a bunch of CEL and I eventually went back to stock air box no more CEL.

·
Registered
371 Posts
2.0T also. I average around 22 per tank. Mostly city.
The one thing not mentioned much about this engine is the sound. It really sounds like a Turbo diesel at idle. And the turbo whine is awesome when you get one it. The sound makes me smile more than the MPG.
Is there any way to open the sound up more? Not a fan of CAI it threw a bunch of CEL and I eventually went back to stock air box no more CEL.
Oh, you're one of those types... Next you'll be rolling coal... lol 🤣

·
Registered
216 Posts
I would have thought the little turbo would have gotten better mileage. I guess the weight and lack of aerodynamics are hard to overcome. I was surprised to have my lifetime MPG for mostly country town driving and highway hit 30. I have the eco-diesel and was hoping for better mileage but was pleased with 30 it does dip lower if I’m doing short little trips around town or to kids sport practices.
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car

·
Super Moderator
11,787 Posts
Turbo engines are fuel efficient as long as the turbo is not blowing. The moment you get that blower going, efficiency goes out the window; and the longer the turbo is kept blowing, the worse the numbers get.

In Wrangler’s case, the reason the 2.0T doesn’t show better numbers is (a) aerodynamics —or lack thereof, and (b) 4,500 lbs of weight in stock form —much worse the moment we add a lift, big tires, heavy wheels, etc.

For instance, Bronco comes only with turbos: a 2.3T 4-cyl and a 2.7T 6-cyl. But the vehicle is an astonishing 800 to 1,000 lbs heavier than a comparable Wrangler, so it is no surprise Bronco owners are struggling to break 18-19 MPG, even with the smaller engine.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Typically driving to and from work (mostly highway) I do about 21 mpg. I will be heading out to Colorado from Virginia and curious what I’ll get on that trip. Did have a bit a haul the other day only using highway and was up around 24 mpg. I’m sitting around 10,500 miles
Quick Rundown for the route we took to Ouray, CO. We live in northern VA, so drove to Pittsburgh Saturday evening and stayed at in-laws house. Sunday drove to Kansas City, MO. Monday drove into Ouray (with an unknown last minute detour around Gunnison National Park. Total was 1986.7 miles at 115.859 gallons for a total of 17.14 MPG. Now through most of the Midwest I was around 75-80 mph with strong winds fighting the whole time. I fueled in Colorado Springs and from there to Ouray on hwy 26, 50 and including the detour at Sapinero (which took us onto 92 up and around to Delta and then down 50) the Jeep averaged just under 24 mpg. So safe to say that wind through Kansas and really a lot of the Midwest wasn’t helping….maybe my speed up around 80 too.

Reactions: Deuce88

·
Registered
895 Posts
Turbo engines are fuel efficient as long as the turbo is not blowing. The moment you get that blower going, efficiency goes out the window; and the longer the turbo is kept blowing, the worse the numbers get.
Exactly. The arguments we've seen in favor of the small engine have a self-contradictory flavor. They think the turbo is stronger, because they don't know that HP is the scientific measure of power. Then they tell us to ignore the turbo's higher cost of ownership, because you don't need premium gas (even less power than advertised).

It's understandable, because you don't need 285 HP to have a good time, but less is not more. More is more.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts