Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2021JLUR
Will be getting a 3.5in lift soon. (Teraflex or Metalcloak or combo of both)
Will upgrade to larger tire from stock 33in KO2, 35in min or 37in max.
personally would like to put the 37 on, but will the oem axle's be ok with this?
(2021 front has CV joints)
I believe I will be using drop brackets to keep steering geometry the same.

Some places say using 8in wheel will work, others say 8.5in and another says use 9in.
What would be the best? (I don't believe the oem 8in will do the job)

Is there any other things to consider if using 37in?
(I know about the tire carrier but I will deal with that unless someone has a good idea that isn't expensive like Teraflex option)
(also plan on getting a Tazer to remap the cpu etc.)

·
Grumpy Old Guy
4,271 Posts
Do a lot more reading before you go down that rabbit hole. If you think the Teraflex tire carrier is expensive, to do 37's right and not have shit break in less than 10k miles, it takes a lot of coin to do it right.

Reactions: GuzziMoto

·
Super Moderator
7,563 Posts
I am not a JL guy. So I am not sure what it takes to run 37’s on a JL. But for a JK that extra 2” of tire is expensive. Like USStrongman said, if you think a Teraflex tire carrier is expensive 37’s may not be for you.
If you have the D30 front axle you will want to swap that out for at least a D44. And you will want to regear to restore lost power from the taller gearing the larger tires bring.
And a common mod for 37’s is hydro assist steering because the 37’s can be hard to steer.

You might get more specific JL responses in the JL tech forum.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’m in a JLUR and have just started a similar journey. My first round was the 3.5 MetalCloak Dual Rate, MC skid system, New Front drive Shaft, new wheels, and 35 ridge grapplers.

My Spring round to get to the Ridge Grappler 38 will be the remaining control arms, track bar, Drag Link, Brakes, new gearing (at least 5.10), and my shop thinks I should truss the front axle. Admittedly some of those are wants, not needs but as best I can tell to get to 38s right it’s a non trivial set of upgrades. Weight starts to become a challenge at that level. Those Nittos are C tires and weigh the same as a 37 E.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
Probably best to stop at 35s unless you understand the money and time involved. For that case 3.5” lift is too much.

Reactions: USStrongman

·
Super Moderator
7,563 Posts
I’m in a JLUR and have just started a similar journey. My first round was the 3.5 MetalCloak Dual Rate, MC skid system, New Front drive Shaft, new wheels, and 35 ridge grapplers.

My Spring round to get to the Ridge Grappler 38 will be the remaining control arms, track bar, Drag Link, Brakes, new gearing (at least 5.10), and my shop thinks I should truss the front axle. Admittedly some of those are wants, not needs but as best I can tell to get to 38s right it’s a non trivial set of upgrades. Weight starts to become a challenge at that level. Those Nittos are C tires and weigh the same as a 37 E.

I am not a JL guy. But much of this is universal.
While you can truss your front axle, other than it looking cool there isn't a lot of benefit to that. A truss doesn't address most of the weaknesses of the stock axle. If your stock axle isn't strong enough, you are better off upgrading to a stronger axle. A truss does add some strength to the axle housing, it doesn't help for all the other weak points of an axle that isn't strong enough for the intended use. Honestly, if the housing isn't strong enough neither are many other aspects of the axle. If it needs a truss to do what you want it to do, it isn't strong enough to do what you want it to do.
Tires that large typically need a minimum of a D44, and really it should be an aftermarket 44. Better yet, D60 or larger axles. They also should be accompanied by larger brakes, proper gearing, better steering (hydro assist), stronger axle shafts and drive shaft, HD ball joints, stronger steering linkages (think aluminum), and more.
Good luck with it. Not saying it can't be done, just pointing out how expensive the extra couple of inches in tire over a 35 are.

·
Registered
7 Posts
JLs are a little different but I hear you. I was generally not convinced by the truss before doing some research.

The front axle on a JLUR is already a D44, so I’m good there. The truss isn’t so much about axle strength. The front axle disconnect is a known weak spot and the truss is there to shore that up.

·
Registered
202 Posts
2021JLUR
Will be getting a 3.5in lift soon. (Teraflex or Metalcloak or combo of both)
Will upgrade to larger tire from stock 33in KO2, 35in min or 37in max.
personally would like to put the 37 on, but will the oem axle's be ok with this?
(2021 front has CV joints)
I believe I will be using drop brackets to keep steering geometry the same.

Some places say using 8in wheel will work, others say 8.5in and another says use 9in.
What would be the best? (I don't believe the oem 8in will do the job)

Is there any other things to consider if using 37in?
(I know about the tire carrier but I will deal with that unless someone has a good idea that isn't expensive like Teraflex option)
(also plan on getting a Tazer to remap the cpu etc.)
37s are fine if they are on JL with the D44, I would not do 37s on a D30 IMO. Sitck with a 8.5 to 9 inch wheel if going to 37s.

If you can, get away from correction brackets and go with control arms.

For tire carrier there are soooooo many better options out there. Look at Rustys off road or Evo for tire carrier, similar to terrorflex but way better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts