Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
21 - 40 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
You know, Trainman, I like the fact that the Willys Sport does NOT (yet) have power windows, power locks, or the bigger touch screen (and that I can get manual transmission with it, too). Give me knobs and buttons over stupid touch screen controls any day!

I will be adding a number of accessories and mods to my Jeep, though. But almost all of them will be purely functional things that will pertain to my use of the Jeep, such as beefed-up brakes, air springs for the back end, LED headlights, and an ESS disabling module. The one mod I am looking into right now, which would be the single biggest one, is an aluminum front bumper, as I just don't think I'd feel comfortable with just that flimsy plastic bumper out front (yeah, I know there's SOME steel hidden in it somewhere). The steel ones would add just too much weight for me, and I am very leery of any of them not rusting out after just one winter.
what is ESS ?

·
Registered
263 Posts
what is ESS ?
We all do what works for us, I have two other vehicles that have more features then I can work, in fact my wife's new Lexus RX 350 has so many features that I haven't even driven it yet and it's 6 months old, luckily I figured my new RAM out enough to get it going. So the Jeep as I said, is a play TOY to go to the Dairy Queen for a burger and shake and cruise the streets of Ft. Worth at night. So for me a bare bones Wrangler is what I want, old school for an old guy. I realize that this is not what most do with the Wranglers, but then I'm not most people either.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
We all do what works for us, I have two other vehicles that have more features then I can work, in fact my wife's new Lexus RX 350 has so many features that I haven't even driven it yet and it's 6 months old, luckily I figured my new RAM out enough to get it going. So the Jeep as I said, is a play TOY to go to the Dairy Queen for a burger and shake and cruise the streets of Ft. Worth at night. So for me a bare bones Wrangler is what I want, old school for an old guy. I realize that this is not what most do with the Wranglers, but then I'm not most people either.
i am also kind of lover of old classic, bare bones etc. but some features are relevant to the time we live. for e.g. mobile. if you are going to mount the mobile on the dashboard then an integrated screen is clean. may be that is the only thing i like in the modernized design, because i hate mounting phone on dashboard. but if i buy a real classic one ever, i will live with what it has.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We should have a clearer idea of what 2022 will bring when ordering opens in October. I will be placing my order at some point, and I am hearing Hella Yella is going to be discontinued. I hope they have something bright to replace it. I have always liked the brighter colors for my fun cars. Hella Yella is very close to AA Yellow, which was the color of my D90. I still miss that truck.

·
Registered
467 Posts
We should have a clearer idea of what 2022 will bring when ordering opens in October. I will be placing my order at some point, and I am hearing Hella Yella is going to be discontinued. I hope they have something bright to replace it. I have always liked the brighter colors for my fun cars. Hella Yella is very close to AA Yellow, which was the color of my D90. I still miss that truck.
I hear you there, PoorDad!

Myself, I'm hoping that they bring back one of the purer yellows for 2022 like Detonator Yellow. HellaYella, to me, is not a pure yellow, but has an orange tinge to it. It's still a good color, but I like the straight yellows a little better.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
i am so desperate to place my order. but i still want to wait to see 2022. i just want to see do they add anything to it

·
Registered
654 Posts
i am so desperate to place my order. but i still want to wait to see 2022. i just want to see do they add anything to it
You could play that game for decades!
Troy

·
Registered
756 Posts
Just wait.I bet they dont change much,except colors and it will be one model year newer.Me I like the basic blah colors. white,silver,red,etc.

·
Super Moderator
11,801 Posts
Just imagine you were ordering a Ford Bronco: you’d be stuck in limbo waiting anywhere between 8 to 18 months...just to get a VIN!

All of a sudden a couple of months doesn’t seem like much wait... :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have an appointment to order on 9/11. I am glad that you guys are hearing that 2022 orders will start in Oct or Nov, I had heard Sept. I have also heard rumors of the bigger screen which I do not want. I am afraid that they will change the rims if I wait. I like the current Willys rims but did not like the 2019 rims at all. I was debating holding out for a return of Sahara Tan, Mojave Sand, Gobi or something close but don’t want to lose the rims.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have an appointment to order on 9/11. I am glad that you guys are hearing that 2022 orders will start in Oct or Nov, I had heard Sept. I have also heard rumors of the bigger screen which I do not want. I am afraid that they will change the rims if I wait. I like the current Willys rims but did not like the 2019 rims at all. I was debating holding out for a return of Sahara Tan, Mojave Sand, Gobi or something close but don’t want to lose the rims.
FD, I am right there with you on NOT wanting the bigger UConnect screen, and the loss of the simple and intuitive climate control knobs that would come with it. That is my big worry about the 2022s. I hadn't even thought about the rims, but as they keep getting uglier and uglier, that's a new worry as well.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
you are making me nervous 🤞

·
Registered
263 Posts
i am also kind of lover of old classic, bare bones etc. but some features are relevant to the time we live. for e.g. mobile. if you are going to mount the mobile on the dashboard then an integrated screen is clean. may be that is the only thing i like in the modernized design, because i hate mounting phone on dashboard. but if i buy a real classic one ever, i will live with what it has.
My 2017 Willys 2 dr. was the Willys model with all power and automatic trans and it had the Premium Soft top option. I will say that I totally enjoyed it, but since it was a third vehicle and I only put some 3600 miles on it in 3 years I sold it, wish I didn't now, but that's life. So now the same vehicle will cost me some $4000 more which isn't the problem, but once again I will be driving even less, or about the same as the 2017. At this time in my life (76 years old) the more the vehicle takes me back to my days in the 1960's and crushing the streets of Dallas, Texas, the more I will enjoy it. Why the Willys Sport model over just a stand Jeep, it would work just fine for what I want a Jeep for, but for me the Willys just says Jeep and feel it still has that off road appeal. For me the Willys with a 6 spd. manual just says old school and not having all the power options fits the bill. To be honest, I will probably remove the Willys decal on the hood and install the old style Islander decals on the hood and sides and it will become a street cruiser and will never see much of the off road that many Jeeps see.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Inside sources have been saying for a long while that 2023 is the mid-cycle refresh year for JL/JT and the Ram HD line. With that news, and all that's going on in the world right now with a pandemic and chip shortage and all.... I'd be shocked if 2022 was anything other than a carry-over year.

They'll do 2 maybe 3 new colors. And maybe a new trim package. But the 2022 will not be new and won't have anything you can't already get on a 2021. You can bet there's going to be a substantial price increase though.

That's why I went ahead and ordered a 2021. Picked it up this summer and have been loving it.

·
Super Moderator
11,801 Posts
Agreed. Jeep is going to save any new wheel designs for the mid-cycle refresh in 2023.

Honestly, wheels would be the least of my concerns. They are a dime a dozen, new or used.

21 - 40 of 108 Posts