Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Commercial Member
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just mounted (not wired yet) my new 126W 20" LED lightbar. I'm just wondering if anyone on here has tried using the fog light wiring and circuit (factory) for something similar.

I dunno what the 2 fog lights draw, but I'd think that the lightbar shouldn't exceed that.

Thanks in advance,

Pat

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
I ran 2 incandescent lights off of the circuit along with the fogs. they were small, didnt pull much, but I would bet they pulled more than a 20" lightbar.

·
Commercial Member
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Settled...

Thanks Tweak....that would settle it then. I'm also sure your setup would pull more. Mainly looking for the convenience of just using the fog switch setup and not having to run new wiring to the cab.

Pat

·
Registered
264 Posts
The stock fogs are rated at 24W each, 48W total draw. Your 126W lightbar draws considerably more current. You better check your fuse for the fogs. 48W/12V= 4 amps draw, 126W/12V=10.5 amps. The stock wiring may not be rated for 14.5 amps total draw. For safety sake, you should wire a relay triggered by the fogs on a separate 15amp fuse.
Good luck.

·
Commercial Member
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right

The stock fogs are rated at 24W each, 48W total draw. Your 126W lightbar draws considerably more current. You better check your fuse for the fogs. 48W/12V= 4 amps draw, 126W/12V=10.5 amps. The stock wiring may not be rated for 14.5 amps total draw. For safety sake, you should wire a relay triggered by the fogs on a separate 15amp fuse.
Good luck.
Yes, you're right. Thanks. It's all simple enough...and really really enjoying the thought of not having to do the switch thing. Time is a very hot commodity for me these days.

Pat

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
Have you considered that the lightbar is not really aim able so is not safe to be used in traffic. Having it only come on with the low beams is not usually the best configuration.
A simple relay and switch direct to battery is preferred for auxiliary lights so they can be used at any time and with highbeams.

·
Commercial Member
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you considered that the lightbar is not really aim able so is not safe to be used in traffic. Having it only come on with the low beams is not usually the best configuration.
A simple relay and switch direct to battery is preferred for auxiliary lights so they can be used at any time and with highbeams.
Yes I have. Never used fog lights (on any vehicle). IMO they're not helpful - to me. The led lightbar won't be used on highway. That's crazy. I've posted on another thread, some time ago, that I feel that the high beams on the Jeep are less effective than the low beams. Again, I'm speaking only for myself.

Having said all of that, I'm fine with using the existing route. Thanks for the input, though.

Pat

1 - 7 of 7 Posts