Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
1+ year into my frame-off 250k miles TJ resto. Frame coated, new suspension/lift - chassis looks sweet.
I'm up over 200 hours now - learning as I go.
Motor on stand, disassembled, head sent out and redone.
(4 valves replaced, springs shimmed, only 5 thousandths shaved off - guy said, "that head was in great shape for 250k")
Also, inside oil pan looked very clean, no metal, very light crud build-up for about 1.5" around the drain plug.
I can still see the cross-hatching on the cylinder walls, if that means anything (will gauge them this weekend - finally got the tools)
Questions:
Every camshaft lobe is shiny new in the middle, with wear-discoloration out toward each side. A fingernail scrape reveals a very mild "roughness".

I'm leaning toward the $200 replacement. Thoughts? Is there a micrometer measurement I could take, or is the pic above clear evidence of needing replacement?
Also, it is highly probable that I mixed up 2 or 3 of the lifter positions (forgot to remove, 3 fell out as I rotated the engine on the stand - doh)
Should I buy new lifters and push rods?

Thanks!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Looks similar to the wear I had on mine (190k miles roughly) after loosing a piston skirt last year. Before stripping it down I'd decided to replace the camshaft and lifters. I went for the Melling kit off Rockauto that also included additive for use during break-in. I replaced the rods and rockers too for good measure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! Ordering today...hope to get this engine back together this weekend and finally mounted to frame
Cheers

·
Registered
198 Posts
Cam doesn’t look bad but once the hardness wears off the it goes quickly. I would replace it because it simply will not last forever and you don’t want to have to disassemble again for a $200 part.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks DCLXVI,
I have come to that conclusion too. Picking up camshaft, lifters, push rods, distributor, freeze plugs, and oil today. I hope to have the motor back together and mounted back on my jeep by the end of this weekend - for the first time in over a year.
Cheers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts