Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd be content with my 35s (and, I am ... for the most part), but I'm kicking around the idea of going back to 37s on some beadlocks for off-road only.

So, my thought is to sell my 35s, pick up a set of 255/80R17s and throw them on the stock rims for DD use and lighter wheeling (e.g. Uwharrie) and use the 37s for the bigger trips (e.g. - Moab, etc).

Is anyone running the 255s on stock wheels (with a 3-4" lift ... I'm running 3.5") and are you having to run wheel spacers for them to clear?

T

·
Registered
132 Posts
I originally had my 255/80R17 BFG KM2's on my completely stock 09 Rubi and never had a single rub.

·
Registered
28 Posts
No, 255 will fit w/out spacers w/no probs...33.3" (KM2's) and same width as most tires that came on your rig from the factory.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, 255 will fit w/out spacers w/no probs...33.3" (KM2's) and same width as most tires that came on your rig from the factory.
Thanks --- FWIW, width was never my concern. Being a larger diameter, I was questioning whether they'd rub the radius arms at full lock. According to a couple of guys I've spoken with running them, though, they do clear the arms.:thumb:

T

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm running P255/80/17's on an AEV BB, stock wheels, no spacers and I do not have any rubbing while turning or flexing. Great combo in my opinion.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
I would not run 255/80s. They are too narrow in my opinion but in the end it's entirely up to you. If you are considering a pair for wheeling and a pair for daily driving, why not just pick up a set of 35" Duratracs and maybe even a set of smaller wheels 16s? You could certainly afford it if you're considering two full sets of tires to run.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I am running the stock duellers and rims for the winter months and I had to get spacers for my OME HD Coils spring lift (3"). I was rubbing slightly on my rear sway bar links when I turned corners. Popped on some 1.5" spidertrax's and the rubbing stopped, but with the added spacers the stance looks better IMHO.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would not run 255/80s. They are too narrow in my opinion but in the end it's entirely up to you. If you are considering a pair for wheeling and a pair for daily driving, why not just pick up a set of 35" Duratracs and maybe even a set of smaller wheels 16s? You could certainly afford it if you're considering two full sets of tires to run.
Good question ... Better gas mileage and acceleration with the 255s in theory due to the lower weight and lower rolling resistance. I also like the stock Moab wheels. ;) And, though I 'can' afford them, I'd rather chew up a $225 tire on the road rather than a $325-375 tire on the road.:D They'll also, IMHO, work better for the soft conditions here on the east coast.

As for narrow tires, I think you're right - it is a matter of opinion ...:thumb:

I've run narrow tires before on a variety of Land Rovers (real ones with coils and solid axles :whistling:) and love them for the right terrain.

There's a reason why narrow tires (think "Simex" or "Michelin XZLs") are run in many 'wet' parts of the world and in events like the Rain Forest Challenge in Malaysia or the, now defunct, Camel Trophy. IMHO and speaking from a fair amount of experience running narrow and wide tires over the past 17 yrs or so, better forward progress is made in soft ground/mud by cutting through terra firma with 'tall skinnies' than trying to 'float' over it with wide tires.

By most accounts, narrow tires make better overland tires, too (great write-up over on Expedition Portal on that).

But, many disagree with that - that's okay, too!:flowers:

All that said, I'm not really looking forward to running a Load Rating E tire.

T

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Good question ... Better gas mileage and acceleration with the 255s in theory due to the lower weight and lower rolling resistance. I also like the stock Moab wheels. ;) And, though I 'can' afford them, I'd rather chew up a $225 tire on the road rather than a $325-375 tire on the road.:D They'll also, IMHO, work better for the soft conditions here on the east coast.

As for narrow tires, I think you're right - it is a matter of opinion ...:thumb:

I've run narrow tires before on a variety of Land Rovers (real ones with coils and solid axles :whistling:) and love them for the right terrain.

There's a reason why narrow tires (think "Simex" or "Michelin XZLs") are run in many 'wet' parts of the world and in events like the Rain Forest Challenge in Malaysia or the, now defunct, Camel Trophy. IMHO and speaking from a fair amount of experience running narrow and wide tires over the past 17 yrs or so, better forward progress is made in soft ground/mud by cutting through terra firma with 'tall skinnies' than trying to 'float' over it with wide tires.

By most accounts, narrow tires make better overland tires, too (great write-up over on Expedition Portal on that).

But, many disagree with that - that's okay, too!:flowers:

All that said, I'm not really looking forward to running a Load Rating E tire.

T
Good advice, if possible I would stay away from a Load E tire at all cost. Your going to eat it every day with that even with new gears. There are many options in C and D that you can't discount them. I just got out of the tire/wheel rat race last year after 5x sets and I'm glad to be done. However...now I'm looking at 35x12.5R15 with a set of Yukon 4.88s :D

I need to get back up to the Boone area, is that where abouts you is?

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
ESP said:
Good advice, if possible I would stay away from a Load E tire at all cost. Your going to eat it every day with that even with new gears. There are many options in C and D that you can't discount them. I just got out of the tire/wheel rat race last year after 5x sets and I'm glad to be done. However...

"now I'm looking at 35x12.5R15 with a set of Yukon 4.88s"

:facepalm: :hide:

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Good advice, if possible I would stay away from a Load E tire at all cost. Your going to eat it every day with that even with new gears. There are many options in C and D that you can't discount them. I just got out of the tire/wheel rat race last year after 5x sets and I'm glad to be done. However...now I'm looking at 35x12.5R15 with a set of Yukon 4.88s :D

I'm in Asheville, but get to Boone a bit - we have property in the area and my parents live near there part of the time.

Where is you from? :rofl:

But, I hear ya' - I really don't like Es ... there is simply no other tire with that much height and that skinny available, though (Goodyear used to have one a number of years ago, but it's long gone) - which I want given that I will still get offroad with them. On another note, looks aren't the primary concern, but who wants a rig with 3.5" of lift and 32s. :facepalm: :rofl:

It's not the knowledge speaking tonight its the Capt. Morgans. Carry on...
:rofl: ... I'm partial to Tuaca or The Glenlivet myself. :D

T

1 - 13 of 13 Posts