Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally going to put lockers on my tj: Detroit EZ in the rear and TruTracs in front. I have a Rocky Mountain edition TJ: Dana 30 & Dana 44, 3.73 gears. I've decided to stick with the 3.73 for now as I drive it on the road a lot too. I can't figure out if I have 27 or 30 spline gears. How do I tell? I've sent for the factory info, but don't see anything there. . . Anyone know?

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
Your Dana 30 will have 27 spline shafts.

Your Dana 44 will have 30 spline shafts.

You will want to purchase your lockers appropriately with this data.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. I ordered a Detroit locker for the rear and a truetrac for the front. D44 rear: shouldn't need beefed up axles should I? I'm pretty light on my rig - not a risk taker.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
thanks. I ordered a Detroit locker for the rear and a truetrac for the front. D44 rear: shouldn't need beefed up axles should I? I'm pretty light on my rig - not a risk taker.
Yeah, you will be fine up to and including 35" tires on your 44. Axle shafts can and will still break on any vehicle in the right (Or wrong I should say :D) conditions. But with the setup you described you will be fine with the lockers you have chosen.

·
WINNAR!!!!!!
6,805 Posts
There are a couple manufacturers that make a 30 spline upgrade for the Dana 30. Superior being my favorite. That's the reason for the difference in spline count. I agree with Jack that you can make your Dana 30 last with larger tires and stock shafts. The front axle is usually the lesser abused of the pair :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts