Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know each Jeep is different, but wanted to tap the collective experience of the forum...

I recently installed 285/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs on a stock JKU Rubicon, stock wheels. The clearances are very close.

I put a few washers on the front stops to keep from rubbing the sway bar when turning and there is maybe .5" to the lower rear control arms, 2+ on the uppers. I'm thinking they will rub hard off-road.

1.5" Spydertrax spacers would certainly gain some needed horizontal clearance, but would they not create problem with the fenders off-road? Some rough measurements would put the tire about 1" outside of the fender. I have about 4 - 4.5 inches of clearance to the bottom edge of the fenders. With only 4 - 4.5 vertical clearance, will the tire tuck in enough to not hit the fenders?

The springs are 58/17 and sit almost dead level. I have no interest in a lift, but would consider 1" coil spacers all around. Would that be enough to let the tires to tuck in and keep them off the fenders off-road? Will I also need to add bump stops to prevent contact?

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
This is my 285s with 1.5" adapters.

This is the view of the "Big" hill that I was testing with

If you go with flat fenders(or cut the stocks), you will be ok. This is with a 2.5" lift, you can look around there are a couple of threads about flats vs lifts.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. So in your experience, with 285's and 1.5 spacers I will need a 2.5 lift or flat fenders to prevent rubbing/impact off-road? It looks like you have some surplus space with the 2.5, I'm hoping 1" will be enough... hard to tell, but based on your first pic, it may work.

With 285/70 I've gone up .5 in height and width (from center) from stock so my logic is that 1.5 out and 1 up would be close to stock, but the 1.5 spaces put the tires pretty far out and I'm worried that a hard turn disconnected = bye, bye fender.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Just do a Leveling kit and increase your bump stop to prevent fender rubbing.

I run 305/70/16 which are quite a bit wider than a 285 and have no rubbing issues even when disconnected. I run a Teraflex leveling kit which is a 1.5" lift and perfect for 33's.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts