Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a 2014 JK Willys Wheeler and it has the Rubicon suspension which gives it an inch of lift. I do not want the BFG KM's that come stock and want to get either the Silent Armors or Duratracs because of their better performance in ice, snow and wet roads which is fundamental here in Central PA. I do not plan to go mudding or rock climbing. I'd like to get the 285/70R17 mounted on the stock 17x7.5 wheels. I have read extensively on the rubbing/no rubbing issues and about spacers, but in PA you're not allowed to have more than a 1/4 inch wheel spacer. So will a 1/4 inch spacer suffice? If not, do I really need 1.5" spacers or could I get away with 1.25" spacers? I really don't want to sling grime up the side of my JKWW so a 'beyond the fender flare stance' isn't important. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Rubicon suspensions are not lifted vs sports or saharas (I had a 2013 jk sport and have a 2014 rubicon) same same. I put on 285/70-17's the day I bought my rubicon on stock rims and there is slight rubbing on the sway bar at max turn. I only kept that size a short time and moved to 285/75-17 again on stock rims. I then added spidertrax 1.5" spacers and no issues with rubbing now. (I have a 2" lift which is necessary off road or you will rub with both sizes of tires). I am just a hair past the flairs but pretty close to being even.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rubicon suspensions are not lifted vs sports or saharas (I had a 2013 jk sport and have a 2014 rubicon) same same. I put on 285/70-17's the day I bought my rubicon on stock rims and there is slight rubbing on the sway bar at max turn. I only kept that size a short time and moved to 285/75-17 again on stock rims. I then added spidertrax 1.5" spacers and no issues with rubbing now. (I have a 2" lift which is necessary off road or you will rub with both sizes of tires). I am just a hair past the flairs but pretty close to being even.
Cool. I read on here that the Rubicon stocks and springs give an inch of lift over stock suspension. Are you saying that's not so? Do you have Duratracs?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Cool. I read on here that the Rubicon stocks and springs give an inch of lift over stock suspension. Are you saying that's not so? Do you have Duratracs?
You misread.

Being a Rubicon has nothing to do with the suspension height, except for different shocks. What makes a difference is whether its an Unlimited, or what options it has. For instance, having a hard top and a tow package on an Unlimited gives you stiffer springs. But that doesn't actually change the stock ride height on any of them, its simply to compensate for the added weight of the different configurations.

In essence, all Wranglers have the same ride height, just slightly different springs to compensate for weight. If you swap those stiffer springs (i.e. 19/60) into your 2-door Rubicon, it will lift it slightly.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You misread.

Being a Rubicon has nothing to do with the suspension height, except for different shocks. What makes a difference is whether its an Unlimited, or what options it has. For instance, having a hard top and a tow package on an Unlimited gives you stiffer springs. But that doesn't actually change the stock ride height on any of them, its simply to compensate for the added weight of the different configurations.

In essence, all Wranglers have the same ride height, just slightly different springs to compensate for weight. If you swap those stiffer springs (i.e. 19/60) into your 2-door Rubicon, it will lift it slightly.
Is the stock suspension on a Rubicon the same as on a stock Sport? On the Club Willys' thread, it was reported that the Rubicon suspension that is on the WW gives it an extra inch of lift over a stock Sport. Are you saying that's not true?

I know that stiffer springs and shocks will give more clearance and that's what I mean by lift. Take a Rubicon, Willys and Sport with same options and wheels/tires, and the Rubicon and WW will have more clearance because of their stiffer suspension. Right or wrong?

·
Registered
483 Posts
The only difference between a Rubicon and a Sport with the same options that affect the spring rates (top, tow package) is the shocks, which do not add height. The springs will be the same.

Take the Rubicon, the Willy's and Sport with those same options, the Rubicon and Willy's will have the same clearance as the Sport. The only thing they'll have different is the shocks, which don't affect tire clearance.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
base sports come with 225/75-16 tires and that is the source of the higher lift on the rubicon with its 255/75-17 tires. my tires are toyo open country 285/75-17

·
Registered
712 Posts
SRTie is correct. My sport came with springs the same rate as my buddy's Rubi.

As for tire height, you are talking something different than lift. In the Jeep world, when people talk lift, the general meaning is suspension, not tire height.

Just google tire lift and see what pops up as opposed to suspension lift.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I should have said higher height not lift as that is what I meant. when a rubicon parks next to a base sport the rubicon generally is taller because the the 32 vs 29" tires so an 1.5" taller give or take a bit.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So the fancy red shocks and springs on the WW are the same as a stock Sport's and offer no advantage?

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
So the fancy red shocks and springs on the WW are the same as a stock Sport's and offer no advantage?
no the shocks are different but you do not get lift from shocks. The Rubicon shocks are mono tube and the sport are twin tube shocks. springs can be the same on all models.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
no the shocks are different but you do not get lift from shocks. The Rubicon shocks are mono tube and the sport are twin tube shocks. springs can be the same on all models.
Ok, I don't get a lift from the shocks but I get more clearance for 33's than I would with a stock Sport's shocks/springs?

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
ok, i don't get a lift from the shocks but i get more clearance for 33's than i would with a stock sport's shocks/springs?
NO..you will get more clearance under your differentials with the rubicon tires vs sport base model. YOUR SPRINGS/COILS can be the same between any of the models and you get no lift from shocks.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
NO..you will get more clearance under your differentials with the rubicon tires vs sport base model. YOUR SPRINGS/COILS can be the same between any of the models and you get no lift from shocks.
Ok thanks, what about the Rubicon springs? Are they different than the Sport springs? What is the minimum width in spacers that I could get without any rubbing? Do you think 7/8" would be enough?

·
Registered
581 Posts
I put the stiffest Rubi JKU springs on my JK. They popped me up an inch. The ride is stiff, amazing on the street, but off-road articulation... Not so much. The parts were free though.

Time for sway bar disconnects methinks.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I put the stiffest Rubi JKU springs on my JK. They popped me up an inch. The ride is stiff, amazing on the street, but off-road articulation... Not so much. The parts were free though.

Time for sway bar disconnects methinks.
Cool! Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Ok thanks, what about the Rubicon springs? Are they different than the Sport springs? What is the minimum width in spacers that I could get without any rubbing? Do you think 7/8" would be enough?
It is well documented on this forum and any other good wrangler forum that coils are coils are coils and it basically is the luck of the draw on what your wrangler is going to be assembled with. I my buddies sport base model came with the same 18/60 coils my 14 rubicon came with. Some come with lower numbered springs ie 14/56 and some with higher generally the coils are 13-19 up front and 54-60 in rear. these are the last two numbers of the part number which is on the tag on the coils. the numbers are followed by 2 letters ie AB or AC etc. 10A coils however are fronts 06 and rears 09's. 3/4" wheel spacers would not be acceptable. YOu need to get quality spacers like Spidertrax and they only come in 1.5" BORA makes them in 1.25" I believe but I would not go thinner or you will need to cut your lug bolts. 1.5" with 285/70-17 will put you at the edge of your flairs. put some mopar mud flaps on and you will have no issues with mud spray.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It is well documented on this forum and any other good wrangler forum that coils are coils are coils and it basically is the luck of the draw on what your wrangler is going to be assembled with. I my buddies sport base model came with the same 18/60 coils my 14 rubicon came with. Some come with lower numbered springs ie 14/56 and some with higher generally the coils are 13-19 up front and 54-60 in rear. these are the last two numbers of the part number which is on the tag on the coils. the numbers are followed by 2 letters ie AB or AC etc. 10A coils however are fronts 06 and rears 09's. 3/4" wheel spacers would not be acceptable. YOu need to get quality spacers like Spidertrax and they only come in 1.5" BORA makes them in 1.25" I believe but I would not go thinner or you will need to cut your lug bolts. 1.5" with 285/70-17 will put you at the edge of your flairs. put some mopar mud flaps on and you will have no issues with mud spray.
Ok thanks for all the info! It's just that I saw a pic of the red shocks and springs on the WW and then saw a thread were someone was buying a red shock/spring kit for $150 and they were supposed to be the same as on the WW/Rubicon and someone said that they gave an extra inch of lift.

I've seen the Spidertrax and also Synergy and Teraflex spacers. The smallest so far has been 1.25". But living in PA, I can only legally have 0.25".

I read here http://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/largest-tire-on-stock-jk-heres-your-answer-142837.html that "any tire larger than 11” in width" would rub without modifications. Then on tirerack.com I read that with a Duratrac on a measured 8.5" rim the section width is 11.5" but when you go down in width to a 7.5" rim, the section width would be 11.1" because the measured rim width goes down in 0.5 increments and decreases the width by 0.20". So with an 8.5" wide rim the section width would be 11.5" for the DT but 7.5" wide would be 0.40 less or 11.1". So with a 0.25" spacer that would put the width at less than 11". Here's links for that info:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...d White Letters&partnum=87QR7WDTOWL&tab=Specs

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=200

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
well a .25" spacer would be dangerous as all get out as that is the going to just sit between your hub and wheel and rely only on the lug nuts to hold it in place. real quality spacers are hub centric and actually bolt to your hub and the wheel in turn bolts to them.

your WW will have the same shocks as a rubicon and it will have the same coils as a sport, sahara and a rubicon. If it is a 2 door then most likely lower rated coils if 4 door with auto and hard top and tow package most likely on the higher end. There is no rhyme nor reason how these get what they get but generally 4 door with tow package get higher rate coils but I have seen some of those with 16/57 so anybodies guess. bottom line is a base sport can have the same coils as a rubicon.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well a .25" spacer would be dangerous as all get out as that is the going to just sit between your hub and wheel and rely only on the lug nuts to hold it in place. real quality spacers are hub centric and actually bolt to your hub and the wheel in turn bolts to them.

your WW will have the same shocks as a rubicon and it will have the same coils as a sport, sahara and a rubicon. If it is a 2 door then most likely lower rated coils if 4 door with auto and hard top and tow package most likely on the higher end. There is no rhyme nor reason how these get what they get but generally 4 door with tow package get higher rate coils but I have seen some of those with 16/57 so anybodies guess. bottom line is a base sport can have the same coils as a rubicon.
Ok thanks. My WW is a 2 door with hard top but no tow pkg. I guess I'll just go with the Duratrac 255's and play it safe. I like the WW wheels so I don't want to go aftermarket. I want to get an ARB Bullbar or Rampage Recovery bumper so maybe I'll need a leveling kit.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts