Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy recently gave me his rims and tires for my stock 2015 JKU. They are 285/75/17 cooper discovery tires with Monster XD rims. I couldn’t pass up the “deal”. I already mounted them and took them out for a test drive and all seems okay but I want to make sure I am safe in using them. Am I good to go?
Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Definitely no off-roading in my future. It’s a daily driver and bringer of children to practice vehicle. Besides the potential for occasional rubbing, it’s not unsafe or negligent? I don’t need spacers or anything else? I may get a get a small lift in the future but the height now is honestly perfect for me and my short in stature family.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I bought a JK 2dr with 285/70/17 BFG KO2 and they rubbed at extreme turns on my sway bar. I put 1.75" spacers on and no rub at all now at full lock. I've not been off road so I don't know about vertical travel.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
A "Rubicon suspension" will not necessarily give you a lift.

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
If they are 285/75 and not 285/70, they are almost 35's. You will rub at full lock steering and very well might rip a fender off if you articulate at all or even hit a large bump. That is not a viable setup in my opinion.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are indeed 285/75/17. I did check at full lock both ways and trimmed a little bit off each side of the front fascia under the bumper just in case. I backed up and went forward at full lock as well and it’s not rubbing. I do notice more tire noise and overall noise but I think that’s the tread pattern.

·
Super Moderator
6,783 Posts
They are indeed 285/75/17. I did check at full lock both ways and trimmed a little bit off each side of the front fascia under the bumper just in case. I backed up and went forward at full lock as well and it’s not rubbing. I do notice more tire noise and overall noise but I think that’s the tread pattern.
It is also when the suspension compresses that the tire is likely to rub things. Normally to run a tire that big you need a lift, at least extra bump stop.
If you hit a large enough bump it literally could rip a front fender off.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Most parking lots you pull into have a small lip to them. As you turn in under braking and hit that bump you could rub each time. That might become more annoying than hazardous at first. As others have stated, that one time you turn in a little early and hit that full curb instead of the small 1" or 2" bump is the one that could get you.

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,783 Posts
For a street oriented Jeep I think the Rancho 2" lift would be the best low cost lift to fit those tires. And I think it would probably ride better.
Also, on a different note, with larger tires people usually run lower air pressures. Larger tires don't need the same amount of air pressure to carry a given load. So most take advantage of that and run lower air pressures in larger tires for a better ride. For tires near 35" typical pressures would be around 30 psi, give or take.

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
A "Rubicon suspension" will not necessarily give you a lift.
I had one on my 2012 JK Sport and it yielded almost 2" of lift.
Rubicon JKU springs on a JK is a lift... But JKU to JKU is likely to produce less than 1/2" and may produce nothing as the springs can be exactly the same.

·
Premium Member
2,101 Posts
For street use, the Teraflex leveling kit. I have this kit with 285 75 17 BFG all terrains, but I am currently looking for a lift that is a little bit taller.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Do those Monster XDs have any backspacing? Might allow you to run a smaller wheel spacer (1.25-1.5”), saving some additional stress on ball joints.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator
6,783 Posts
For street use, the Teraflex leveling kit. I have this kit with 285 75 17 BFG all terrains, but I am currently looking for a lift that is a little bit taller.
Leveling kits are nice, but if you are trying to clear larger tires you need a lift that include bump stop extensions. The springs or spacers of a lift will increase the ride height, but only bump stop extensions will stop larger tires from rubbing if they are going to rub. A leveling kit may decrease how often a larger tire rubs, but unless something stops the up travel of the larger tire sooner it will still rub. Just maybe not as often.

·
Registered
427 Posts
If you're comfortable doing a little DIY, some long bump stops would eliminate the risk of damaging flares on compression.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do those Monster XDs have any backspacing? Might allow you to run a smaller wheel spacer (1.25-1.5”), saving some additional stress on ball joints.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Right now I am not running any wheel spacers. Should I?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts