Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 285/70/17 on my 15 with a Teraflex leveling kit. Only problem I had is rubbing at full lock on the sway bar. For the taller 285/75 tires, is it the width or the height that causes the problem when flexing? If I went with a narrower tire that is still the same height, does that solve the flex problem?

·
Registered
23 Posts
285/75 will be taller, but both are 285 wide so you won't see much of a difference width wise. If you only have a leveling kit and no ride height increase, you'll likely rub both due to width and height running the 285/75s.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Only a slight increase in height (my 285/75/17 Falkens actually measure out at 32.75 mounted and loaded.) Rim BS will help with rubbing, or spacers.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just thinking if I went 255/85 I'd still have a 34, but it wouldn't contact when turning. Will the 34 still contact vertically during flex?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Just thinking if I went 255/85 I'd still have a 34, but it wouldn't contact when turning. Will the 34 still contact vertically during flex?

I think your answer is in here:
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/largest-tire-on-stock-jk-heres-your-answer-142837.html

I've subbed to that thread for over 4 years and have read most of it. Not that you need to (or even can in a short period of time, lol.) The first few pages cover a lot of the basic questions about what fits and what rubs.

Stock rims?

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I am running that size on my 09 with stock rims, 1.5" wheel spacers and a Q-tech leveling kit. No rubbing except at the fenders when I am really flexed.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Friend has those. 1 1/2 inch wheel spacer or wheels with less back space. I have 315-70-17s with 4 1/2 inch backspace and no rubs.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
I ran 285/75/16s (which are the same size as 285/70/17s) on 4.75bs wheels with a TF leveling kit on my old rig. Disconnected and fully stuffed, I would make pretty significant contact with my inner fenders. My old thread (linked a couple times above) contains pics of that I believe. Bump stop extensions would have prevented that of course.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I have a little 2" spacer lift and I recently put 285/75 tires on wheels with 4.75 backspacing. They rubbed my air dam at full lock. I had to trim the corners of the air dam somewhat.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
In your case, it's width not the height..

For example, a 285/70R17 tire is shorter than the 285/75R17, but is close to the same height as the stock 255/75R17.

In most cases with stock wheels, the 285/70 will rub on the sway bar, (and sometimes on the plastic air dam behind the bumper). The same will hold true for the 285/75 which despite being taller, is the same width.

As Col Sanders says above.. Spacers or new rims..

·
Registered
73 Posts
285 70 17 and 285 75 17 are technically the same width.
Maybe some difference in lug pattern between mfg.s

the 75 is taller by 1.1 inch.

I assume when you talk of flexing you are referring to the sidewall getting wider? so yes, if you deflate the pressure the taller sidewall will flex to a wider width when severly compressed.

your wheel offset and backspace are what typically need to change so that you can run " wider" tires. without using adapters or spacers which are kinda "hokey" as a way to correct a incorrect backspace or offset. unfortunately, cost is a consideration and we sometimes need to use adapters to make the change affordable.

I agree with the people that say go to a 15 inch or 17 inch diameter wheel if you want big tires that will actually work off road. My kid wanted an appearance so we went with 20" wheels a 33 x 12.5 tire MT and a minimal spacer level/left kit.

it looks pretty cool, but is not really serious off-road functional.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts