Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow -- last weekend I googled BFG KM2s in 285/75-17 (34x11.25). I've been planning to install these on stock Rubicon (WW, actually) wheels for about six months, just waiting to wear my OEM KMs out a little more.

So I was amazed and delighted on Friday to see Tire Rack had them on sale for... are you sitting down? $160 each. $800 for a set of 5. Half price. Don't know the quantity they had, but there were at least the 5 I put in my shopping cart, as it showed them to be In Stock.

I didn't need them yet (I only have 9500 miles and was trying to be disciplined and wait till 15,000 before yanking the KMs.) But at that price I thought I'd at least order them and store them for a few months till I get ready to install.

So I go back on Tire Rack Sunday, and they're gone. Like the wind. So I'm bummed that I basically just missed saving EIGHT HUNDRED FREAKING DOLLARS, but hey, it's only money, right?

So I start searching for them elsewhere to see if anybody else has them on closeout. Can't find a set anywhere in the free world.

In the ensuing week, my casual search hasn't turned any up anywhere. Tire Rack doesn't even have any tire at all in that size.

So here's my question:

I want to use my beautiful glossy black WW wheels. I want something at least 34" tall. I want to stay under 12" wide, and 11 would be great. I want a true MT, not an AT or hybrid of some sort. Light is really, really good in my book. Hey, I want it all! :)

BFG has d/c'd the KM2 in that size. So what is the semi-pizza-cutter dejour these days? I've been off the Jeep boards for six months or so, and things seem to have changed a bit.

Thanks if anybody has any good ideas for me!

·
Super Moderator
14,540 Posts
That sucks... I'd have bought those in an instant if I saw them. I'd say the Toyo Open Country M/T in that size would be a great choice.

Here is jkjeepit's rig with that exact 285/75-17 tire:

·
Premium Member
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That sucks... I'd have bought those in an instant if I saw them. I'd say the Toyo Open Country M/T in that size would be a great choice.

Here is jkjeepit's rig with that exact 285/75-17 tire:

Thanks, I'll check them out. That picture is making my knees weak!

·
Super Moderator
14,540 Posts
Thanks, I'll check them out. That picture is making my knees weak!
I know, right?? That picture initiated a lot of my choices. I have since deviated a little, with the intent of still coming out close in the end.

·
Premium Member
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Toyo's M/T 285/75 17 71 lbs.
stock BFG M/T 48 lbs.
Ewww... pretty heavy. Do you have another recommendation? Light, tall, skinny, MT tread?

·
Registered
927 Posts
Very hard to find, I have had 285/70/17s and 315/70/17s, next set will either be Toyo AT2s or Nitto Terra Grappler G2s in 285/75/17.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have the 285/75/17 Terra Grappler G2s. I like the size and I like Nitto tires. I had the first gen Terra Grapplers on my Land Cruiser and on my wife's Tundra.

·
Registered
710 Posts
BFG KO2s, 34x10.50/17s? 56 lbs. Should fit stock rims and not require any/much mods.

·
Premium Member
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BFG KO2s, 34x10.50/17s? 56 lbs. Should fit stock rims and not require any/much mods.
Yeah, the size is great but it's an AT.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Yeah, but the tread looks much like the Terra Grappler G2s, which may not be to your liking either. I do a lot more snow than mud.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I have the 285/75/17 Terra Grappler G2s. I like the size and I like Nitto tires. I had the first gen Terra Grapplers on my Land Cruiser and on my wife's Tundra.
What is the actual size? I am assuming a little over 33" tall.

·
Registered
201 Posts
That is correct, I just measured them at 33 3/8".

·
Registered
791 Posts
After my BFG M/Ts wear out Im going to go wtih Nitto Terras on my Rubi. I had them on my Silverado, best tires I ever had on that truck. So they have to be good for the Rubicon, right?

·
Registered
710 Posts
That is correct, I just measured them at 33 3/8".
Could you have gone with something like a Teraflex Basic or Performance 1.5" leveling kit instead of the 2.5"? Your rims have a 5.2" backspace. Does that work out okay with the swaybar disconnected? I didn't see a pic, but I kind of like to keep the tires inside the fender wells. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
14,540 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
just found them on 4wd.com
a little pricey but they are what you want

BF Goodrich Tires Part 79793 - 285/75R17, Mud-Terrain T/A KM2 - 4 Wheel Drive
Wow! Thanks! Just ordered five of the bastards. Fortunately, I was able to get them for only $800 more than they would have cost me 10 days ago. :lmao:

Well, can't be mad about it. They're usually 320, these were 310, free shipping, and I've always been planning to pay that for them, so it's not like they suddenly went up or something.

Thanks for the heads-up. Now I can sit on these for awhile and then at least have them when the KMs wear down a little more.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts