Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2018 Wrangler JKU brand new a little over 2 years ago and it's time for some big boy mods. This is my daily driver so I'm set on the 285/75r17s, just not sure what size lift I should get. I have the max tow package so I'm on 3.73 gears.

The lift options are the Rancho 2" lift kit vs. the 2.5" WF most popular lift kit with Rancho 9000XLs. Not including the Mopar 2" lift kit as an option since it's significantly more expensive. I'm also planning on ordering a steel stubby front bumper, steel rear bumper, upgraded tire carrier, rock sliders and steel flat fenders.

Naturally I want to go with the bigger lift but I'm concerned the tires will look too small with the flat fenders. I would also save about $500 going with the Rancho 2" lift. Will the Rancho 2" lift hold with the heavy steel mods, or should I just pony up the extra cash and go for the 2.5" but possibly have too much space between the tires and fenders?

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'm on the TF leveling kit and here is how she sits before, and after installing my flat fenders.

I'm on 33's currently and will be moving to 35's this summer.

·
Premium Member
8,388 Posts
It is not that simple. If you are going to end up with a heavy build you are really go to want to look at the more expensive lifts. You are going to want a lift that will give you the 2.5 inches after the mods are complete. I would be looking at AEV or MetalCloak for your needs. I have the full blown MS 2.5 GameChanger, and this is what mine looks like running stock fenders. As has been said before pay once, cry once.

Attachments

·
Registered
447 Posts
285/75/17s will fit with no lift if you're doing steel flat fenders. It's kind of up to you how much higher you want it.

·
Premium Member
8,388 Posts
285/75/17s will fit with no lift if you're doing steel flat fenders. It's kind of up to you how much higher you want it.
He is doing much more than just fenders and the stock suspension will not do.

Reactions: CapnCrunch

·
Registered
284 Posts
I bought my 2018 Wrangler JKU brand new a little over 2 years ago and it's time for some big boy mods. This is my daily driver so I'm set on the 285/75r17s, just not sure what size lift I should get. I have the max tow package so I'm on 3.73 gears.

The lift options are the Rancho 2" lift kit vs. the 2.5" WF most popular lift kit with Rancho 9000XLs. Not including the Mopar 2" lift kit as an option since it's significantly more expensive. I'm also planning on ordering a steel stubby front bumper, steel rear bumper, upgraded tire carrier, rock sliders and steel flat fenders.

Naturally I want to go with the bigger lift but I'm concerned the tires will look too small with the flat fenders. I would also save about $500 going with the Rancho 2" lift. Will the Rancho 2" lift hold with the heavy steel mods, or should I just pony up the extra cash and go for the 2.5" but possibly have too much space between the tires and fenders?
Yeah, that stuff is all heavy, right?

·
Registered
372 Posts
My 2018 JKUR Recon came with steel bumpers. I added a winch before doing the WF Most Popular Lift and only netted a little over 2" of lift. I've still never had to pull cable on the trail to get ME unstuck, but it's a matter of time considering the crew I run trails with. Here's the before/after:

·
Registered
284 Posts
You're right of course but in this case I'm guessing all that steel for bumpers and fenders is going to require some sort of lift like dev says.

I just ordered what may be the last of the factory high top fenders for jk's from my dealership. I'm thinking of running the 285/75/17's on mine but I want to run much lighter than this guy so I'll get away with it.

·
Super Moderator
5,344 Posts

I can say that the Rancho 2" progressive spring lift uses fairly stiff progressive springs, and as such it does hold extra weight fairly well.
The Rancho progressive springs are about the same length as the stock springs our JKU came with. But they don't sag as much under weight giving you the advertised amount of lift. That means they are noticeably stiffer than stock. And they are progressive. Which also helps carry extra weight.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I know it's not a 4-door but the fender/tire gap can give you some reference. This is following the Rancho 2" lift with RS9000 shocks & JL Rubicon take-offs (285/70-17). I added 3/4" coil spacers in the rear after taking this picture. I agree wtih alot of others posts that the Rancho coils are stiffer than factory.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
He is doing much more than just fenders and the stock suspension will not do.
Terry knows of what he speaks. I recently bought a JK Sport 2dr, and am running 285/70/17's with flat fenders and stock suspension. The addition of people in the back seat alone, causes my suspension to bottom. If I was to outfit the Jeep with a rack and carry any significant weight, the suspension is not up to the task.

I'm not an expert on lifts but my research has led me to those lifts with variable rate springs like AEV. If you're going to add heavy bumpers and a winch and a rack and carry gear, a 2" spacer lift with stock suspension is definitely going to be less than ideal.

·
Premium Member
8,388 Posts
My 2018 JKUR Recon came with steel bumpers........
The stock steel bumpers are pretty light weight. No where near as heavy as 3/16 plate steel bumpers.

·
Premium Member
8,388 Posts
Terry knows of what he speaks. I recently bought a JK Sport 2dr, and am running 285/70/17's with flat fenders and stock suspension. The addition of people in the back seat alone, causes my suspension to bottom. If I was to outfit the Jeep with a rack and carry any significant weight, the suspension is not up to the task.

I'm not an expert on lifts but my research has led me to those lifts with variable rate springs like AEV. If you're going to add heavy bumpers and a winch and a rack and carry gear, a 2" spacer lift with stock suspension is definitely going to be less than ideal.
Yep steel weighs a lot. Currently just the steel and winch I have on my rig is 602 lbs. My stock payload capacity was only 675 lbs. Once I get around to adding my flat fenders it will be 755 lbs.

MetalCloack and AEV advertised lift height are based on having all this steel in place. Rock Krawler also has and overland setup with this in mind. If going heavy you need good springs.

Reactions: Pressurized

·
Registered
32 Posts
I forgot to mention that I have Smittybuilt XRC front and back bumpers with spare tire carrier. I don't have a winch yet, but the bumpers are heavy by themselves. With chains, jack and recovery gear in the back, my stock suspension is very inadequate. I had other mods in mind to start, but an AEV 2.5" lift is now the first thing to be done. After that I'll get to the re-gear, tru tracs, and then the winch.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My 2018 JKUR Recon came with steel bumpers. I added a winch before doing the WF Most Popular Lift and only netted a little over 2" of lift. I've still never had to pull cable on the trail to get ME unstuck, but it's a matter of time considering the crew I run trails with. Here's the before/after:

That's a sharp looking ride:worthy:

·
Registered
390 Posts
My wife's JKU with a 1" spacer front and 10mm spacer rear. 285/70's incl spare, Stock rear bumper. We had the Rancho 2" kit installed before returning to stock springs and adding the spacers. The Rancho springs sat 1.5" higher front and just over 1" higher rear. As GuzziMoto said, the Ranchos are stiffer and hold weight better than stock
I would imagine you'd have plenty of room for the 285/75's even without the flat fenders.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the input guys. Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the Rancho 2" Progressive Sport Lift and WF 2.5" Most Popular Lift Kit were both suspension based coil/shock lifts that included at least front and rear steel bumpers when taking lift height into consideration? Will definitely look more into the AEV Dualsport 2.5" lift as well.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I ran the Rancho 2" with 285/75/17s, steel sliders, and steel stubby front bumper for about 1.5 years without any problems. Decided I wanted a bit more lift so I swapped out the Rancho coils for the Mopar 2" coils. Picked up about 1" all the way around and much prefer the stance. I've also added a steel rear bumper and noticed no difference in height.

The way it sits now, I do feel like the tires would look a bit small with flat fenders.

Not the best pics, but Mopar on top and Rancho in bottom.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 51 Posts