Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I considering Toyo X treme AT II 285/75R17 tires which are E rated and would like to know how stiff they may ride compared to 315/70R17 Duratrac's D rated tires on a two door AEV 2 1/2" lift. Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have no experience with either of your mentioned tires, but I am running D rated BFG AT/KO's in a 315/70/17 on Old Man Emu springs, Bilstein 5100's and a few other suspension bits with zero complaints. Good luck, report back.

·
Registered
603 Posts
With proper air pressure 28-30 lbs, the E rating should be good. I have 285/75/17s being installed with AEV 2.5 lift next week. Good luck. Where in Ohio are you? I'm in the northern half.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Located in Lancaster. I have Nitto Terra 285/75R17's on my cummins and love them but was concerned with the stiff sidewall and 80 psi rating on a light weight JK.

·
Premium Member
2,800 Posts
I have not tried the Toyos but I do have Duratrac 285/75/17 on mine and just completed a 1,250 mile journey including some advanced dirt roads (not really trails), a lot of winding two lane and some freeway. They handled great. I really leaned on them in a few corners and they did super with inflation at 32 PSI.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I just put E rated 2585/70x17 BFG KO's on mine a few days ago. Completely stock suspension and I think they ride a whole lot better than the stock tires.

·
Registered
560 Posts
So you are switching out of duratracs, why?

At the sizes you are looking at why not just go for the 35x12.50x17 toyo at2's?
They measure at 34.5" to toyo specs so I assume they are only 34".

·
Premium Member
2,800 Posts
Duratrac's are 285/70R17 I wish they made they in a 285/75R17 then my decision would be easy.
Yup, I had a brain cramp, you are right. I am very happy with my 285/70/17s but I am sure some folks want a bigger tire. I am happy with these right now. If I change up it would be to 315s. I have a Jamboree scheduled for this fall and that will help me decide if I have big enough tires. :)

·
Registered
634 Posts
I've got falken rocky mountain E rated tire and am considering switching them to duratracs to see if the ride smoothens out. I believe the RM's have a thicker sidewall compared to the duratracs.

At 28-30psi the ride seems rougher than it should. Stock suspension minus rancho 9k's and a TF leveling kit. Every imperfection I can feel throughout the vehicle.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have the those exact tires & chalked them down to 30psi cold. My wife daily drives it & we don't wish it rode softer. I would buy them again or maybe find some relatively light 18" wheels (+/-25#) & run the 285/75r18 version... They're 34.5 x 11.2" and weigh less (65#) than the 315's or 35's your considering. I'd suggest lower total weight, aired down to wear evenly (chalked) will perform & feel much better than other heavier, spec inflated options. I also prefer to keep my tires even with my flares & with 1.5" spacers, both the 17" & 18" 285/75's would be just even with the flares. The 315's & 35's will stick out & may require a washer in the steering to keep them from rubbing @ full lock. Hope this helps .

Attachments

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
So you are switching out of duratracs, why?

At the sizes you are looking at why not just go for the 35x12.50x17 toyo at2's?
They measure at 34.5" to toyo specs so I assume they are only 34".
I concur, that is a step down in tires.

It is also very difficult to predict the difference in ride quality of two different tires from two different manufacturers in two different sizes. Not all E rated tires have the same stiff sidewalls due to the materials and the sidewall construction. Goodyear tires tend to have more compliant sidewalls probably due to their extensive experience with passenger tires and OEM LT manufacturing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have narrowed down my decision to the Duratrac 315/70 R17 or Toyo AT2 285/75 R17. I would like to keep the tires under the flares as much as possible using either Aev Pinter or Quadratec Moab wheels. I think the 285 will track better on the road with less wander but really like the rain and snow characteristics of the Duratrac along with the reduced weight and D rating.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts