Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to have 29" tires for towing and long distance gas mileage, but thats pretty limiting as far as wheeling.

If I had two sets of wheels, one with 29" and one with 35" could I swap them somehow?

How much of a lift and fender modification would I need to go from one to the other? Is there a way to relatively quickly (i.e. 1 hour of work or less) "undo" a suspension lift so that the jeep is back to stock height for when I put the 29" tires back on and need to tow something 500 miles?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How are you planning to gear the axles? From one tire size to the other, you'll only be geared properly for one size.

If you make clearance for 35" tires, it'll look quite goofy with 29" tires on it.
How bad would it be if I kept stock gearing?

Im pretty sure I have the numericaly lowest diff.. 3. something. I already notice how things move a little too fast in 4L as it is, so I guess that means I'd need to change ratios to go any higher than 29", like youre saying.

Bah I shouldnt be putting 35" tires on a D35 anyway.

Okay new plan:

33" tires (swap to 29")
No lift
Diff ratio change
Instead, fender modification

I need to avoid the lift or make it return-to-stock somehow because it will really mess up fuel economy and towing handling.

How fast can a lift be undone?

The coil springs are fast
Shocks for a 3" lift could stay in when its returned to 0" lift couldnt they?
The leaf springs are easy but I dont remember how long it took to swap them
Shackles and sway bar links?

·
Registered
837 Posts
I would snag some stock rubicon wheels and tires and just do sway bar disconnects. Go with that. That lift and unlifting business is kinda silly over maybe 1mpg. The tires and wheels will affect gas mileage more than how high the vehicle sits off the ground.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts