Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire: 295 70 17 Nitto Trail Grappler
Wheel: Stock 2013 JK
JK: 2 Door sport, 3.15 gears
Why: They look bad a$$!

1) How much do these weigh?
I can't find anything on the nitto website about this.

2) Too heavy for the stock tire carrier?
I see pictures with these mounted to the stock tailgate. Has anyone had any issues with this? I assume I will need the Spider Trax spacer 2.5" for this as well?

3) How many miles can I expect to get with these?
I plan on doing 95% highway driving. I've read that some people have pushed these to 70k miles on the lighter 2 door JK.

4) What kind of gas mileage loss can I expect with these tires over the stock JK sport tires?

5) Anything else I should know?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I just bought the same size. I saw somewhere that this size weighs 70.6 lbs. if you don't bounce around a lot, you might be OK but I wouldn't risk it, with the wheel your looking at about 100lbs.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I bought a set of similar size (285/65R18) Trail Grapplers a few months ago. Did a review of them here:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/295-70-17-vs-285-75-17-a-902033-2.html

I purchased the AEV rear tire carrier to go with my AEV rear bumper. Just dropped it off today for install next week. The tire juuuust fits on the stock carrier, but not taking a chance with that kind of weight on it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just bought the same size. I saw somewhere that this size weighs 70.6 lbs. if you don't bounce around a lot, you might be OK but I wouldn't risk it, with the wheel your looking at about 100lbs.
Throw up some pictures!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Tire: 295 70 17 Nitto Trail Grappler Wheel: Stock 2013 JK JK: 2 Door sport, 3.15 gears Why: They look bad a$$! 1) How much do these weigh? I can't find anything on the nitto website about this. 2) Too heavy for the stock tire carrier? I see pictures with these mounted to the stock tailgate. Has anyone had any issues with this? I assume I will need the Spider Trax spacer 2.5" for this as well? 3) How many miles can I expect to get with these? I plan on doing 95% highway driving. I've read that some people have pushed these to 70k miles on the lighter 2 door JK. 4) What kind of gas mileage loss can I expect with these tires over the stock JK sport tires? 5) Anything else I should know?
3.15 gears?

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Holy crap batman! 70 lbs for 295s? Nittos are bad a** looking to be sure- but heavy. That's why I swapped mine for KM2s before I even put them on.
You do realize that you'll see a performance decrease with a tire that heavy? Do you mean 3.21 gears? If so...you'll want to do some research on your gear ratio before you buy those tires.
Read TBizness post to be sure. He doesn't see the need to re-gear. But I did- and that was on 45 lb. 33"KM2s.
And I would plan on upgrading your stock carrier at some point to be sure.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Holy crap batman! 70 lbs for 295s? Nittos are bad a** looking to be sure- but heavy. That's why I swapped mine for KM2s before I even put them on.
You do realize that you'll see a performance decrease with a tire that heavy? Do you mean 3.21 gears? If so...you'll want to do some research on your gear ratio before you buy those tires.
Read TBizness post to be sure. He doesn't see the need to re-gear. But I did- and that was on 45 lb. 33"KM2s.
I almost got the KM2s in a 305 but they were 64lbs. I figured what's another 6lbs, might as well get the better looking Nitto's (IMO)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I almost got the KM2s in a 305 but they were 64lbs. I figured what's another 6lbs, might as well get the better looking Nitto's (IMO)
I don't like that they weigh so much. But, IMO, they are the best looking tire available for the wrangler, hands down.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is the 305 65 17 KM2 really only 45lbs?

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Wow! You're right! Even MTRs are that heavy too. No difference between them currently. Nitto's for sure for looks then. MTRs or KM2s for crawling; but that's just me.
When I bought my 305/70/17 KM2s 2 years ago they were about 45 lbs a piece. No doubt- I lifted them both side by side. I wish I could find my old thread- I had some great comparison photos.
Thanks for the correction.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow! You're right! Even MTRs are that heavy too. No difference between them currently. Nitto's for sure for looks then. MTRs or KM2s for crawling; but that's just me.
When I bought my 305/70/17 KM2s 2 years ago they were about 45 lbs a piece. No doubt- I lifted them both side by side. I wish I could find my old thread- I had some great comparison photos.
Thanks for the correction.
Did you fit those 305s on the stock wheel and if so how is the wear?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts