Votes: 21 17.2%
  • Owned 2Dr before, 4Drs now

Votes: 26 21.3%
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a thought at lunch after exchanging waves with an old YJ.....

I wonder how many JKU owners have owned 2Drs in the past? Or if the 2Dr crowd (old schoolers like myself) are the folks who have owned CJs, YJs, TJs, and now JKs and wouldn't consider driving a Jeep with more than 2Drs?

Not trying to pick a fight, or start (all over) the argument about 2Drs vs. 4Drs or that JKUs aren't "real" Jeeps....just wondering.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
My first vehicle was a 71 Jeepster Commando, 2 door.

About 8 years ago my dad had a YJ that I drove more than he did...should've bought it off of him before he sold it.

And, until a couple weeks ago I had an LJ (see my avatar).

Fixing to buy a JKU...so, here's one future JKU owner who owned 2Drs in the past!

Of course, I've also had 2 Grand Wagoneer's, a 90's Grand Cherokee Limited, and I recently bought my daughter an 07 Grand Cherokee, so I've had 4Drs in the past as well.

Never had a Jeep truck...

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
My JKU is my first Wrangler, but it's pretty routine to see comments around here from folks who are considering or already have a JKU and are coming from either (a) a prior generation of Wrangler (all 2 doors) or (b) already had a JK and are now married/kids/etc. and are considering or have moved into a JKU.

Even if you prefer the look of the 2 doors (not everybody does . . .), many folks can't afford multiple vehicles. If you can only have one vehicle and it must serve as a daily driver, toy, and kid hauler, a JKU is about the only choice there is unless you want to move on from Wranglers entirely.

If the stars aligned in the right way, I bet you'd consider it. Unless you're a retired grandfather enjoying his twilight years, be careful declaring now what you "wouldn't consider." I know I've seen more than a few posts that start with, "I thought I'd never consider a 4 door, but . . . ." :D

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the stars aligned in the right way, I bet you'd consider it. :D

Nah, my kids are grown now and the wife has a little SUV. I'm old school, middle-aged, and set in my ways....I LIKE my "little" 2013 JK and wouldn't have it any other way, but I DON'T have a problem with what somebody else wants to drive. It's my toy, toy hauler (kayaks), DD, and work "car" and OMG so much better than my 13 year old TJ it's hard to believe.

The reason the thought occured to me to put up this poll was that it seems like it's the older 2dr Jeeps who seem more inclined to waive back/at my new 2dr Jeep; that's all.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My first Jeep was a new '88 YJ. Had it for 10 years. Now have an '07 JKU (since new). The extra room in the JKU is just awesome. As far as waves, some older 2-drs return a wave, some don't; some JKU's return a wave, a lot don't. Most female JKU drivers don't - they are usually on their cell phones!

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Careful careful careful. This is a neat poll, but don't let it turn into a "wave thread." Those all get closed and merged/directed to the official forum wave thread. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I'm a 2dr to 4dr convert. I've owned a CJ, 3 IH Scouts, and a '73 Bronco. I love the looks/feel of the old school 4wd's. I love my 4dr Wrangler just as much. I've hit the age (37, not old but getting wiser) where I like to add in a little comfort with my fun. My wife has a 2dr JK, and honestly it's a pita to get more than 2 people in. Long live the unlimited!!!

·
Registered
823 Posts
My JKU is my first Wrangler, not my first Jeep (had '96 and '10 Grand Cherokees); but I assumed from your post that you were referring to only Wranglers.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I can understand fully the need and popularity of the 4-door for some, but for me it's 2-door only.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I can understand fully the need and popularity of the 4-door for some, but for me it's 2-door only.
Same here. :thumb: Although for me it's not just a Jeep thing. Most of my cars have been 2 doors.

Monte Carlo
Bronco
280ZX
Celica
Camaro
Thunderbird
2 Jeeps

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
I've never owned a Wrangler.

I do own a Libby and I also still have my old Integra.

While I prefer the "looks" of a 2 door (especially in stock format vs the 4 door), I prefer the room and towing capacity of a 4 door. I looked at 2 doors for a hot minute....one glance at the "back seat and trunk"....and back to the 4 door I went.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I'm "all of the above".

I started with an XJ then got a Grand Wagoneer, both 4 doors. After that I got my CJ7. Then I was in and out of several more full size Jeeps. A couple of 4 door Wagoneers, a couple of 2 door Cherokees. I finally settled on a 2 door J10 pickup. The CJ stayed the whole time.

I just bought my JK about a month ago and I stayed with a 2 door. Mostly because I only have myself to carry around and I didn't want to blow 4 door money.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
No soccer mom vehicles for me. 2 doors forever.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Missed one category on the poll. 4dr before 2dr now.

Not that I am in this category. Just thought it would be interesting to see. I know there has been a thread on here about it.

I have always liked the 4dr. They just seem to look more massive and tough. 2dr just look more nimble to me.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I wanted a Jeep when I was in my 20's, and was in the market for one but settled for a Z71 Step-side Chevy. It was a cool little truck, and served the purpose at the time.

But that Wrangler seed I planted lay dormant until I started my mid-life crisis (according to my wife). I didn't need a pickup that often, and I have a Bantam military 1/4-ton trailer for when I do need to haul something, so I decided to make the jump. One of the things I didn't like about my last truck was that it was a 4-door Quad Cab, so that had me leaning for the two-door from the start. I read some reviews in a couple of 4WD magazines and they gave the 2-door the edge (ever so slightly) due to the shorter wheel-base, and I used that for the rest of my justification for the 2-door route.

·
Registered
531 Posts
The 4 door is definitely more practical but unless you constantly carry more than 2 passengers its pointless. I chose the 2 door because I honestly don't need the bac seat for my daily commute. I guess it all depends on what you need.

·
Registered
24 Posts
We traded our 2 door for an Unlimited only so we could fit our 3 kids in car seats. It just comes down to your needs. I'll get another 2 door later down the line.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Traded my 06 TJ Rubicon for a 12 JKUR. It was a great decision. Lots of room for passengers and "stuff". A lot of my 2 door wheeling buddies are telling me they are starting to get 4 door envy. :D

1 - 20 of 48 Posts