Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

How often do you go topless?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this may just be my own bias, but last summer in my area I saw many 2-door Jeeps topless/doorless -- but almost all of the 4-doors had their hardtops on. I'm curious if that's true across the country, and if so I wonder why that might be...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Being that I'm in New England I'm limited, but I'm topless/doorless as much as possible. I have to really pay attention to the weather due to my commute. Although I can usually squeeze out 2 weeks straight in mid July, then it's random. Have the soft top back as much as possible until I switch over to the hard top for winter.

·
Registered
2016 Wrangler JKU sport.
1,056 Posts
My new (to me) 2016 JKU has the Bestop Sunrider which I plan on using a lot this coming spring and summer. It also came with a almost brand new factory soft top which will probably never get installed unless I move to the south or southwest.

FWIW IMO the JKU however looks decent without a top on.....

Attachments

·
Registered
932 Posts
Now that the Wrangler is available with 4 doors, interior space comparable to other SUV offerings, and an ever increasingly refined interior, you have a percentage of buyers who aren’t truly “Jeep People”. buying them. They have either never considered going topless / doorless, did it once and found it too much work, or got caught in the rain once and will never do it again.

This group of buyers is much less likely to buy a 2 door than a 4 door, so you see a higher percentage of 2 doors without tops or doors than 4 doors.

IMHO, anyone running a hardtop during warm weather either never planned on going topless or didn’t think it through. I run a hard top in the winter for the added security, ease of rear access, and slight benefit in heat and noise, but as soon as the temps start rising the hardtop gets stored and the soft top, which spends much more time folded back than closed up, goes on until we start getting frost. Even with a lift, the hardtop is too cumbersome to take on and off regularly and when it’s off, it’s off. There is no throwing the top up in a downpour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,875 Posts
Now that the Wrangler is available with 4 doors, interior space comparable to other SUV offerings, and an ever increasingly refined interior, you have a percentage of buyers who aren’t truly “Jeep People”. buying them.

That’s me, truly not a member of “Jeep People.” I’m a member of the “Outdoors People.” If there was no four-door I would not have a Jeep. I enjoy exploring, camping, hiking, and shooting and that’s why I own an off-road vehicle. I also really enjoy turning wrenches and the Jeep is a great hobby vehicle. You won’t find me on the main popular trails. I go places where I can drive all day and never see another vehicle. I go out for a week at a time, and the hard top allows me to handle any kind of weather situations. My Jeep isn’t refined, I have roll up windows and manual door locks, a chunky 6-spd, and an underpowered engine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My 2dr has had the top off more than on this year. Last weekend we were driving it with winter coats and hats. Our 4dr has only had the freedom panels off ever. Hard top is a PITA.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
So, this may just be my own bias, but last summer in my area I saw many 2-door Jeeps topless/doorless -- but almost all of the 4-doors had their hardtops on. I'm curious if that's true across the country, and if so I wonder why that might be...

I have 4 doors. I don't use the locking screws on the doors anymore. The locking clips have been cut off of all the door plugs. I can put the soft top down and doff the doors and don the mirrors in a total of 8 minutes... 10 to get it all back together at the end of the day.... and I do it pretty much 7 days a week in the Summer. Sometimes in the Winter too even with the hard top on. :)

030 (15).jpg

·
Registered
932 Posts
Leadnut, hope you didn’t take my comment the wrong way. I meant no disrespect with the Jeep People categorization. For me, top off, doors off, off road is the total Jeep experience, but I’m not trying to take anything away from those who bought a Jeep with a bigger emphasis on off road than the open air experience. I was thinking more of those that are just as unlikely to drive down a dirt road as they are to remove their top.

My first 2 Jeeps were 2 doors, but I’m not sure I could justify still driving one without the added utility of having 4 doors and the additional cargo space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,875 Posts
Leadnut, hope you didn’t take my comment the wrong way. I meant no disrespect with the Jeep People categorization. For me, top off, doors off, off road is the total Jeep experience, but I’m not trying to take anything away from those who bought a Jeep with a bigger emphasis on off road than the open air experience.

I actually thought is was kinda funny. There may have been a typical Jeep person a long time ago in a far-away land, but those days are pretty much over. People’s lifestyle and uses are so much more diverse today, which is a good thing. It’s funny because when I hear people in other states talking about an off-road Park I have no idea what that is. Pretty much all of Arizona is an off-road park.

The way I do off-roading is almost always involves staying over night serval nights. With that in mind I face enough of the elements of dust, rain, snow, cold, heat, where I really want my Jeep to be dry and moderate when I get back on the trail. I also carry fairly expensive shooting gear and want some security when back in town. I think the overnighting experience may be atypical of Jeep owners actually. I get it some people just want to strictly off-road and go back to their motel room and that’s cool. For me going without a shower for one week is no big deal. That’s why I say I more identify with an outdoor experience (on foot and down on the ground) than a Jeep experience. For me any vehicle that does the job is fine. Just so happens the Jeep can accomplish my goals. - At least after extensive mods.

The forums will produce a bias towards top off for the simple reason that they attract more dedicated enthusiasts.

So even though my hardtop is on, I may not be the person you think I am behind the wheel. I also wave to every Jeep no matter what it looks like.

·
Registered
200 Posts
4 door-No top, no doors 9 months of the year. I do have a soft top that I leave on for the "topless" 9 months in case I get caught in inclement weather unexpectedly. It makes for a tough drive when the inside of your windshield is getting rained on...

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: cadman99

·
Registered
‘17 JKU Big Bear
496 Posts
I have a ‘17 jku big bear with soft top only. My top is off as much as possible. If the temp is 60 degrees & dry my top is off. If weather is on the border line I use the sun rider. If weather is good for a couple days in a row my doors are off as well. April-September...this year deep into October...is top down season in my area

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
I’m fortunate to have a garage so my Jeep stays topless and doorless or in half door mode a long time “in season” So to speak. Often with the entire soft top removed and hanging on the wall. I drove soft top YJs for nearly 30 years before getting my jku. I still wanted a soft top, manual, and half doors but I did want 4 doors. I wheel a little less rough these days but I’m impressed with the jku off road and on road. I especially like it with half doors. Mine are not oem, still looking for them, but they do just fine for now.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Well, my 4 door is my daily driver, and given that I carry about $10K worth of dive and swiftwater rescue gear with me at all times, as well as a $2000 radio and a second $8000 radio, security is a big issue for me, so getting a hardtop Jeep was absolutely essential, and it never comes off.

·
Registered
274 Posts
My two door isn't my daily, so once its warm enough the top comes down and the doors come off. It will stay that way 90% of the time.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The 4 doors are big and heavy and are self-conscious about taking their tops off.
That's funny right there!

I run with a soft top from May to November on our JK here in North Alabama, then it's back to the hard top. Fortunate to have a garage to store hard top. I'll pull the doors and side curtains and run in safari mode in the summer but they started major construction near my office so not so much this year. Alabama red dirt is bad enough on the outside of my Jeep, don't want the interior covered too. Maybe next year!

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Like EricW above, my 2016 2dr isn't a daily driver. For the first two years, I had the top off for most of the summer. If it rained or looked like rain, I'd take the car and leave the Jeep in the garage.

Last spring, I picked up a Trektop soft top and a set of Trektop fabric half doors. I plan to switch to it every summer. I normally run it with the windows out leaving just the 'bikini top'. But I can put on the full doors and zip the windows back in if I want to go somewhere when it's raining.

·
Premium Member
7,477 Posts
Well, our JK is my wife's DD. In the area where she currently works, having the doors and/or top off would not be a very good idea when it is parked on the street for 8-16 hours each day. Thus, the top and doors rarely come off. They were not removed at all this year.

Sometimes, when you see a Jeep going down the road on a nice summer day with the tops and doors on there is a valid reason for doing so.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
My wife is a teacher so during the summer I can take the top and doors off her jku with no concerns for weather except for the 4 or 5 times she actually has to go somewhere so it isn’t uncommon for it to be naked for over a month without before something to come up where I need to reassemble it. I work in the building trades and usually in hot unclimate controlled environments and after working in a boiler room on a 95 degree day ac is pretty freakin sweet so I don’t take the top off my jk nearly as much.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I'm in the same boat as @Leadnut, I'm an outdoorsman first (hiking, backpacking, climbing mountains, etc) and a 4 door hardtop is the best Jeep for multiday backcountry adventures. I do like taking the freedom panels off when out on the trails in good conditions, but also like to be able to seal it up in bad conditions.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts