·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up this 1994 YJ
Not running
Non opped at DMV since 2013

Cost me $1000

It has a 4.0L AX15 Hard top and full doors.

Plans? Ill either flip it, or build it up and then sell for MORE money!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Its UGLY!
Got it home, and took inventory:

Hole in dash at driver speaker location.
No front bumper or frame cover.
No shifter handle, and brass pipe over shifter.
No start, no fuel, no spark, but it does have injector pulse (after a battery replacement).
No radio.
3 Cargar wheels, and one stock wheels, on 31s (need one Cragar wheel and a good 31)
NO KEY, missing lock cylinder....

But then:
No real rust,
No missing parts (except bumper and frame cover)
116K Miles!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, It was at work, found the no start issue, no power to pin 9 on the ECM.
Jumpered that and it fired....
Tach does not work, Ill sort that later.
Sector behind lock cylinder was busted up.
Got a lock cylinder, sector, and ignition switch it and it starts normally now (Ill re-key the door locks later).

Attachments

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
OK, its running, and moves on its own:
Cooling system was disgusting, so flushed it out REALLY GOOD, I installed all new hoses, Thermostat, and radiator.
Smog Check, because in Cali, we are emissions Nazis here (And I can do it myself cheap!)
Got it registered, till AUG 2018!

Got it home (seems fate had a hand as the Spartan in my 93 YJs 8.8 decided now would be a good time to start going out $1600 later.....)

Took some time and scraped lots of OVERSPRAY from all the windows and headlights, even the mirrors...

Truns out the guy I bought it from had a bad habit with spray paint, he seems to have sprayed everything with paint, and he was not good at it!

Changed the air filter, front and rear diff fluid

Ordered some parts!
Ebay Dash cover in Spice/Tan (original interior color).
Cragar wheel (Summit racing)
Cowl grille kit (Amazon)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So driving this for a week, it runs GREAT till it gets up to full temps, however only at full hot does it start cutting out at higher RPM. Its like someone is hitting a switch and it just stops accelerating, occasional pops into the intake.
I ordered a MSD coil, if that doesnt help Ill Sea Foam the shit out of it!

Good thing about this build is, I can order parts new or upgrades, install them in my '93 and out the "Known good parts" from my '93 into this '94!

Inc pics of the old radiator, and cleaned (as good as I could) view into the Thermostat hole in the head.
And some Diagrams I used to trace the pin 9 issue out from post 3

Attachments

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It has a Rancho Air shock adjustable system, setup in it, Not sure if Ill keep is as I plan on lifting it at least 3", for about a 5" lift from its currently severely sagging springs.

Attachments

·
Registered
250 Posts
Still shocked on the deal that you got this for! Would you be interested in selling the full doors??

·
Registered
33 Posts
Glad that you saw the potential in it.

I would've probably looked at it, then imagined all the time and money I'd have to dedicate, and run away lol.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glad that you saw the potential in it.

I would've probably looked at it, then imagined all the time and money I'd have to dedicate, and run away lol.
If it was a 2.5L I still would have bought it, Top and doors alone are worth more then I bought it for...

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
OK, having an issue:
When it gets warm it starts to cut out, like someone is turning off the key, the warmer it gets, the more it does it.
Not the ignition, everything is on, but the engine ACTS like someone is turning off the key, all the lights are still on and everything else is normal....

Already replaced the coil (Upgraded my 93s coil and use the old one on this Jeep), and eliminated the O2 sensor
(Left it disconnected and drove it till it started happening again).
Id be doing more to this Jeep (and have more stuff to post), but id like to figure this issue out before I sink more money into it.

Only thins I can think is excessive carbon on the valves causing them to hang under load, a bad cat, and low fuel pressure.
Also the Tach is not working, Im kinda wondering if some resistance could be building up as the Jeep is driven causing it to "load" up the circuit.

Basically the hotter it gets the more it does this under load.

Pic of the tach, old and dirty, before I really did anything to it...

Attachments

·
Registered
250 Posts
I had my 1990 F-250 doing the same thing. Turned out to be the alternator. It would heat up and short out. Didn't find out the root cause until the alternator gave out entirely on Christmas day. Might be worth looking into.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
OK, started on the Dash.. the original one came with a GAPING hole where the driver speaker SHOULD have been....
Got it out, and im ready to install the replacement, but forgot I needed SPEAKERS, and a new cowl seal....
Speakers and cowl seal on order, should be here Friday thanks to AMAZON PRIME!

Hardest part, was the HVAC cables...

Might be crankshaft position-er.
I replaced that already when I was getting it running, it is a Autozone part though...
I still have the old sensor, Ill pop it back in and see if there is a change...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
OK, having an issue:
When it gets warm it starts to cut out, like someone is turning off the key, the warmer it gets, the more it does it.
Not the ignition, everything is on, but the engine ACTS like someone is turning off the key, all the lights are still on and everything else is normal....

Already replaced the coil (Upgraded my 93s coil and use the old one on this Jeep), and eliminated the O2 sensor
(Left it disconnected and drove it till it started happening again).
Id be doing more to this Jeep (and have more stuff to post), but id like to figure this issue out before I sink more money into it.

Only thins I can think is excessive carbon on the valves causing them to hang under load, a bad cat, and low fuel pressure.
Also the Tach is not working, Im kinda wondering if some resistance could be building up as the Jeep is driven causing it to "load" up the circuit.

Basically the hotter it gets the more it does this under load.

Pic of the tach, old and dirty, before I really did anything to it...
Did you even suspect it could be a bad coolant temp sensor for the shutting down issue? Run a resistance test on the sensor

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Did you even suspect it could be a bad coolant temp sensor for the shutting down issue? Run a resistance test on the sensor
Could be, Its kinda been on the backburner for a bit. I have an old Vantage meter, I love seeing the voltage signal instead of just seeing numbers...

Finally have some light after work so I decided to pull the dash and get that started to kinda bring back my motivation...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Amazon Prime screwed me!
I paid an extra 6$ to make sure I got a cowl seal and speakers Friday!
Currently its Saturday, and they are sitting at the Fedex depot....

So, its still not drive-able, BUT...

Got the replacement dash in place, not bolted in... PIC DUMP!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Got some pretty clear NEW tach and Spoedo gauge lenses....
Cleaned the POs over-spray off the gauge cluster...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts