Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 TJ Dana 30 and 35 with 3.07's stock suspension 31x10.50 BFG ATs. Auto trans. Is this setup optimal for daily driving and off roading. No rock crawling or bumper deep mud. Occasionally needing 4x4 through slimy stuff.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,616 Posts
3.07 isn't really optimal for anything except for small tires and to maximize potential fuel economy for those small tires. For 31" tires, 3.73 would be optimal and a better choice with your 3-speed automatic.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I have 3.07 gears and 31's on mine and I'm rarely able to use 5th gear. Whoever decided to offer 3.07 in a Wrangler oughta be horse whipped.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,616 Posts
What differences / improvements would I see if I switched to 3.73?
Major power improvements, especially noticeable in 1st and 5th gears... and likely even slightly better mpg due to the engine running at a more efficient RPM.

Think of how it performs now in 1st gear... your TJ's present sluggish performance in 1st gear is pretty similar to how it'd be starting out in 2nd gear instead of 1st gear after you regear to the recommended axle ratio.

·
Registered
615 Posts
My 97 with 4.0 & 5 Speed came with 3.07's and I am running 31" Duratracs I regeared to 3.73 Mainly went with 3.73's due to getting a complete rear axle that was already 3.73 for dirt cheap & also found a Deal on the stuff to regear the Front axle,Huge diffrence in power after the 3.73's 5th gear is useable again ,You might get lucky & find a deal on some complete axles with 3.73's or 4.10's,In those Mountians I am sure your down to 3rd gear when pulling a grade instead of 4th.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts