Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2021 StingGray Willy's JLU
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read countless threads about re-gearing with 33's. However, within the threads, the conversation seems to jump between manuals, autos with 3 speeds, autos with O/D, and I end up thoroughly impressed with everyone's excitement to help and their own experiences, but I tend to end up confused as to how it may relate to my decision making process.

I have a 2000 TJ Sport with 3.07 gears and a 3 speed auto, 96,xxx miles. I purchased last September with a 2" BB and 32" BFG tires. With plans to begin trail riding (Uwharrie) and beach riding (OBX) and general comfort, I installed a 3" ZONE lift. I have been very pleased with the ride. As we move into spring time, the trail rides and beach "rides" are approaching.

I have never noticed any significant lack of pick-up/speed. I had a 2011 R/T+ with the hemi and am by no means looking for that, I just want to be sure I am not putting undue strain on the jeep. If the 3.07's are not what I need, what are the suggestions?

I have read many opinions saying the 4.10 is adequate for the 3 speed auto, but then threads seem to jump to a 4.56 is good, then to a total switch of axles.

My question is for my knowledge and consideration. Thanks for your attention to my post and any opinion you may have. I promise to wave and tread lightly.

·
Yipeee Kay Ayyy
2,839 Posts
4.10 is the recommended gear for what you have.

I also have a 3 speed auto and 33's.
I found with the stock 3.07's the engine was revving too low on the highway - on hills and headwinds I sometimes had to have the pedal to the metal just to get along and also had down shifting - this used a lot of gas.
Jeep also tended to keep going after taking foot off the accelerator and there was a loss of performance off road.

With 4.10's, the Jeep is revving higher on the highway but I use a LOT LESS accelerator to get along.
Other benefits in order of difference...

1. Performance has improved offroad.
2. No more downshifting on hills/headwinds
3. Can sometimes drive down steep descents without using the brake.
4. Jeep starts to slow down after taking foot off accelerator.
5. Improved pick-up. This is marginal, but noticeable.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Welcome! I too have the 4.0/3 speed combo. I have 31s now, shopping for 33s. I had the factory 3.07s in open d30/35 combo. Didn't seen terrible...until I upgraded. I swapped in a Ford 8.8 rear end in anticipation of together upgrades, and took that opportunity to regear. I went with 4.10s, and boy did that wake up my TJ! I selected that ratio based on my goal of 33s, so my rpms are a bit high on the highway with 31s. Hands down, regearing and adding a locker tie for best mods yet. It'll never be a hot rod, but hitting the throttle comes with much more confidence now, particularly when crawling up a hill. One can easily fall into information overload when researching this topic.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Can anyone chime in on what happens during a re-gear? I think it will be more than I can do, so, when i start shopping locally, what should the mechanic tell me needs to be done. Do both axles need to be re-geared? Novice question, but need to know what to expect. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
That's one area I would have a shop install instead of DIY. They can warranty the work if there are any issues because theres no room for error with gear installs. You will also want front and rear gear ratios to match.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
That's one area I would have a shop install instead of DIY. They can warranty the work if there are any issues because theres no room for error with gear installs. You will also want front and rear gear ratios to match.

X2.
Read and learn as much as you can about what regearing means, hopefully someone has a link to a good explanation. Once you decide what you'd like to do, have the shop supply all parts. This removes the chance of blaming bad parts if you run into an unfortunate warranty issue. Front and rear gears work in unison when 4 wheel drive is engaged, so it's critical that they are geared the same.
Another thing to consider is what rear end you have currently, dana 35 or 44? Any chance you may go with larger tires in the future?
As I believe you mentioned you hadn't noticed any lack of performance, you could drive it as-is on a few trails and get a feel for where you'd like improvements.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,638 Posts
X2 on the 4.10 recommendation for 33's and your 3-speed automatic. Regearing is a very technical and challenging job. I do pretty much all my own Jeep work and have a shop full of tools but that's a job I'll leave to experienced ring & pinion gear installers. Costs vary widely but you should be able to get both axles done for under $1500 if you shop around.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great information, thanks again for taking the time to reply. It is awesome to have such a forum to ask these types of questions and research "ideas."

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the Dana 35 with no plans to go any bigger as far as tires are concerned. 33s are fine with me and probably the max height for the Jeep to fit in the garage!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Since you are planning Uwharrie and OBX, I'm guessing you are in NC. Just to give you an idea of pricing, mine is in the shop now in western NC at $1000 for both axles, including the gears and rebuild kit.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am in Southeast NC. I have a local shop that installed my lift so I will check with them. I appreciate the ballpark price.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I know this post is old but I'm looking to regear as well soon. I also have a 3 speed auto with overdrive and I'm looking to go to 4:10 gears as well. I'm going to have a shop do it for me since I don't have the knowledge to do it myself and I don't want to spend a ton of money on the tools needed like a case spreader everything else. Although I'm having a shop do it, I don't want to just drop the jeep off and say "get it done". I want to buy everything I would need before hand so I can get good parts for a good price but I'm not entirely sure what new parts I would need. I know I need new 4:10 ratio gear and pinions for both axles and I believe I need master install kits, with shims and such, for both diffs also. Is there anything else I need? I had read in another discussion that I might need new carriers, is that necessary with 4:10's? and I was wondering about the speedometer or tach being off. Is there something I need to do or buy and have the shop do, to fix that?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,638 Posts
I know this post is old but I'm looking to regear as well soon. I also have a 3 speed auto with overdrive and I'm looking to go to 4:10 gears as well.
What model year TJ do you have? If you truly have the 4-speed automatic that became available in 2003, 4.10 is not the right ratio choice. If you have the '98 TJ I see in your 'Garage' area, it's actually a 3-speed with no overdrive so 4.10 would indeed be the correct ratio for 33" tires. What size tires do you plan to install?

That additional reduction in RPMs you're thinking is an overdrive on a '98 TJ is really just the torque converter locking up which drops the RPMs 100-150 rpms.

The only thing you'll need to do to recalibrate the speedometer after regearing the axles is to snap in a new speedometer gear into its holder that is located on the transfer case which is only a 5 minute job.

Finally, the installing shop will only provide a warranty for what it provides. So if you provide the rears & parts needed, they'll only warranty their labor and not the parts. So if a part you provided fails, it'll be up to you to get the part replaced under warranty and the shop will make you pay for the labor again. The dealer you bought the parts from will blame the installer's installation which is usually the cause of a part failing and the installer sure won't accept his installation as being faulty.

So it is a false economy to buy the gears on your own, have the installing shop provide ALL parts so if anything goes wrong, they'll have to take care of it. Not to mention they'll discount the parts if you push them to. Their real profit is made from the labor charges so they'll very likely discount the parts to get the business.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have a 3 speed auto 6cyl 1997, it has 33's on it and originally 3.07's. I drove it like that for a little while. It was not bad on the straightaways and around town, but I live in the very hilly section of North eastern Pa. And it was not fun on the hills.

I found a set of completed axles 3.73's for sale locally and swapped them out. Much cheaper but much more work. I drove about 1000 miles on them and honestly they were just about perfect. If I did more highway driving than mountains I'd say so. The speedometer was right on also.. All that being said I just swapped in 4.10 rear axles. I can honestly say the only reason I went with that gear was the rear axle I found was from a rubicon. I wanted a 44 rear and this one came along. Thinking back if I found a 44 in 3.73, I'd have just stayed with that This 4.10 upgrade cost me a fortune. I had to regear the front, as I could not find a 4.10 dana 30. So I did a HP 30 from a cherokee. I also found out my discount rear axle was bent. I fixed all that and it's almost road ready.. I'm expecting 3K rpms on the highway but I can live with that..

I plan to do more trails and offroading so I decided to go this route. There are a lot of factors to consider before you change gears. How deep your pockets are, how competent with a wrench you are, time and a loving significant other, and how you plan to use the jeep.. Keep in mind 4cyl jeep tj's for the most part came with 4.10's, and is about the cheapest swap you can do, if you can do it yourself..

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I have a 3 speed auto 6cyl 1997, it has 33's on it and originally 3.07's. I drove it like that for a little while. It was not bad on the straightaways and around town, but I live in the very hilly section of North eastern Pa. And it was not fun on the hills.

I found a set of completed axles 3.73's for sale locally and swapped them out. Much cheaper but much more work. I drove about 1000 miles on them and honestly they were just about perfect. If I did more highway driving than mountains I'd say so. The speedometer was right on also.. All that being said I just swapped in 4.10 rear axles. I can honestly say the only reason I went with that gear was the rear axle I found was from a rubicon. I wanted a 44 rear and this one came along. Thinking back if I found a 44 in 3.73, I'd have just stayed with that This 4.10 upgrade cost me a fortune. I had to regear the front, as I could not find a 4.10 dana 30. So I did a HP 30 from a cherokee. I also found out my discount rear axle was bent. I fixed all that and it's almost road ready.. I'm expecting 3K rpms on the highway but I can live with that..

I plan to do more trails and offroading so I decided to go this route. There are a lot of factors to consider before you change gears. How deep your pockets are, how competent with a wrench you are, time and a loving significant other, and how you plan to use the jeep.. Keep in mind 4cyl jeep tj's for the most part came with 4.10's, and is about the cheapest swap you can do, if you can do it yourself..
Only the 5speed 4 cyls came with 4.10 gear ratios. The autos came with 3.73's with some select newer yr models having 4.56s.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well you're right about it not having overdrive, it's a 98 so what I was referring to would be the torque converter locking thanks for correcting me.

I'm not absolutely set on what gears to throw in but I plan on running 33's. I'm midway through getting parts collected for a 4 inch lift so I hope to have it lifted and on the new tires sometime before next winter. That part I am doing myself. Right now it's on 29 inch stock tires and with the 3:07 gears it already struggles uphill. So I'll have the shop collect all the parts for me since you have a point about them getting them for cheaper than I could. But is my list of parts correct for what they would need? I want to know a little bit more about what I would have them do. All it requires are new ring and pinion gears and master install kits?

Also what gear ratio would be recommended for 33's?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Well you're right about it not having overdrive, it's a 98 so what I was referring to would be the torque converter locking thanks for correcting me.

I'm not absolutely set on what gears to throw in but I plan on running 33's. I'm midway through getting parts collected for a 4 inch lift so I hope to have it lifted and on the new tires sometime before next winter. That part I am doing myself. Right now it's on 29 inch stock tires and with the 3:07 gears it already struggles uphill. So I'll have the shop collect all the parts for me since you have a point about them getting them for cheaper than I could. But is my list of parts correct for what they would need? I want to know a little bit more about what I would have them do. All it requires are new ring and pinion gears and master install kits?

Also what gear ratio would be recommended for 33's?
If you can do the lift yourself it's not much more difficult to swap axles if you can find a set in 4.10. I originally went with 3.73's cause they were close , did not need to be rebuilt and cheap. I think I had about $400 total into them. If you want them I'm not to far away in Pa 18707 $350 for the pair.

All that being said, If you plan to pay to have someone do it then just do it once and do it right. If you ever planned a locker do it then ect..

I have about $600 into my front axle, you will need to add housing seals and a carrier to your list. I paid a friend $250 to instal them and about $350 in parts figure about the same for the rear. Rates for install will vary greatly. Its generally cheaper if you pull the axles yourself.. but then if you can do that you can find a set to swap in...

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
UPDATE: I got the re-gear done and am in the process of "breaking-in" the new gears. The shop suggested driving it granny style for the first 500 miles, not to exceed 55, and then change the oil, and check for any metal pieces. I will change within the next week or so, but I will say it feels better, more power under the right foot. It wasn't a tremendous change, but enough that I notice. We regeared the speedo as well. All seems good, so thanks for the advice and suggestions.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have a 99 with the 3 speed Auto, 3.07s and 33s, Found a pair of axles with 4.10s for 500, just curious as to how big of a job it is to swap the whole assemblies ?

Also I was thinking about eventually swapping in a 5 speed, how would the 4.10s Work with that?

I'm also curious of the RPMs at highway speeds around 65/70/75, if someone could chime in with those.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts