Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at a Wrangler (for a friend:jaw drop:) that is a nice Sahara trim but in the color we are looking at we find it has 3.21's with LSD. The second choice color comes in 3.73 with LSD. The tires are the Wrangler 245/55/17's that comes on it. The tires will be upped to something in the 33-35 inch range, probably closer to the 33/34 size though once the OE tires either wear out or we get tired of looking at them. I think when the tire swap comes the 3.21 will not be ideal. I also think that a 3.73 should be fine with that size? Intended use of the Wrangler is DD with off road fun as well. Not rock crawling, but maybe up to medium level PacNW trails. Would it generally be more desirable to change gearing to something like 4.11 or more? If so, maybe save the $$ and get the 3.21's?

Just looking for a best practice/experience lessons here.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I'd say if you're staying stock, the 3.73s are fine.

If you're ever planning on getting bigger tires, just get the 3.21 and do a regear before you get the new tires.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I believe if you gear up from 3.21 you have to change the carriers, so either way, getting the 3.73's might save money in the future.

If the 3.73's are acceptable to your friend with his desired tire change, then you save the money on the gear swap.

If you DO swap gears, and aren't upgrading the diffs, you save money on not having to purchase new carriers.

This is assuming all else is equal between the two choices, if not, I'd just go with whichever one he likes better, regardless of gears. If the color really is that important, it might be better in the long run to go with that one. He has to look at it every day, so he should be happy! Earlier this summer I let a terrific deal go by because I wasn't quite sold on the color (orange).

·
Premium Member
2,198 Posts
As you wheel and go up in tire size neither ratio with suffice, I would get the jeep that has the most stuff I wanted and drive it. Regear as needed. In the grand scheme of things regearing is not very expensive.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I'm currently running 3.73's with a 33in E rated tire. I'm averaging about 19mpg around town, and I haven't run into any issues with the moderate off roading I've done. Given the choice, I'd just go ahead with the 3.73's and assess your needs on down the road. By then you might be satisfied with your setup or feel like you want to go bigger and regear.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I'm currently running 3.73's with a 33in E rated tire. I'm averaging about 19mpg around town, and I haven't run into any issues with the moderate off roading I've done. Given the choice, I'd just go ahead with the 3.73's and assess your needs on down the road. By then you might be satisfied with your setup or feel like you want to go bigger and regear.
19mpg? Do you have a brick under your pedal so it only pushes down a 1/4"?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Go with the 3.73's for sure.

·
Registered
417 Posts
19mpg? Do you have a brick under your pedal so it only pushes down a 1/4"?
I'm the guy you hate on the interstate :beerdrinking:

Right hand lane, 60 in a 65, set the cruise and just bebop to work every day.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I'm the guy you hate on the interstate :beerdrinking:

Right hand lane, 60 in a 65, set the cruise and just bebop to work every day.
Interstate, yeah... but you said around town. ;)
I average 14 mpg around town (literally, no interstate) with 34's and 3.73. At sea level.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Take them both for a test drive, a good long one, to get a sense for what you (your friend) likes. I'm not a gearing nut or offroader but the 3:21s in the one I test drove (manual trans) quickly convinced me that Wranglers shouldn't even be offered with 3:21s in manual trim. The 3:73s are perfect for a stock Wrangler, note that my opinion doesn't apply to automatic trannys as I never test drove one.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have an auto, 3:21s and running 33" M/T MTZs. I drive anything but the interstate and get on average 17 mpg. It's by no means a hit rod, but it does what I need it to do.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
417 Posts
Interstate, yeah... but you said around town. ;)
I average 14 mpg around town (literally, no interstate) with 34's and 3.73. At sea level.
I did say around town. My reference to the guy you hate on the interstate is just me alluding to the fact I drive like an old man :p. My highway/interstate mpg is around 20-22 ish.

·
Super Moderator
8,195 Posts
3.73 so that your Jeep drives well on stock tires if it will be a while. Then regear when you do the 33-35.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Get the 3.73! 3.21 should not even be an option IMHO...

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm also running 3.73 gears and 33" E rated tires on my manual trans JK. It is my daily driver. Personally, I do not feel that the Jeep is underpowered, or undergeared with 33s and 3.73s. I've been getting 15-17mpg in town and 19-21mpg on the interstate. We don't have rocks (or any appreciable elevation) in south Louisiana, so my only off-roading so far has been fire roads, old logging trails, and the like. If I was a hard-core rock crawler, I'd probably consider taller gears and larger tires.

Reactions: Incognito_

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I'm also on 3.73s with 33" E rated tires, but I'm in a 2011 with the 3.8L.

I was okay with the power with stock tires, but it is well and truly underpowered now.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
314 Posts
3.73's with AT 33's here too and it is just about perfect with the auto tranny with a stock type setup.

35's wouldn't be terrible but not ideal but if you start adding armor, a bumper that eliminates the air dam, mud type tread, light bars, etc... then it will hurt...time for 4.56's.

When I was stock, with the tiny go-cart tires on the 16" wheels, I could average 19.5 - 21 mpg on the highway...not so much now :beerdrinking:

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I did say around town. My reference to the guy you hate on the interstate is just me alluding to the fact I drive like an old man :p. My highway/interstate mpg is around 20-22 ish.
Well then that has to be a record. ;)
I can drive like grandma around city streets, which I typically do, but still come nowhere close to that. When manually calculating it at the pump.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts