Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to decide on lift and tires for a 13 unlimited. It has 3:21 gears and I'm worried 35" tires will be to much drag. Should

I just go with 33". Really don't want to get into new gears right now.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
It will definitely not perform as well as stock with 3.21's.

I have met a lot of Jeepers that are happy with the set up and just as many that opted for a regear.

If you are thinking about 35's then you will likely end up with them sooner than later. I would just budget for a full build and regear, if you are happy with it after the upgrades then you have $$ left over, if not, you can regear.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I ran 35's on 3;21's and stick tranny for 2 years in my 08. Fine of road, no real issues. 6th gear was pointless tho. Basically made it a 5 speed to keep rpms where they needed to be. I've heard its worse on an auto trans. I didn't mind much tho.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I will go against the grain and say my 3.21 and auto (2013) 4 door with 33"s does great. Not sure why tho as seems like most complain. I must have just got lucky. I am used to driving fast cars and motorcycles so it is not that I am not used to good get up and go. I do know that my jeep accelerates as fast as a 2013 2 door automatic with 35" tires and 4.10 gears on the street.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
I have 3.21 gears / 3.6L / auto and for my first drive on the 35s I pulled a 1500lb+ trailer on the highway. Everything went well, but I stayed out of 5th. I'd get the 35s.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Don't do it- not only will you have to beef up your Cs and axles, you will hate how sluggish it will feel. 4.10s are just barely adequate with 35s.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
It's all opinion from everyone the only person that will know is you. Go with your gut feeling an drive on that size tire. If you are ok with it then your fine if not then regear

·
Registered
88 Posts
It didn't work for my situation, went to 4:88's and am very happy...

Good luck with your decision...

Hydro

·
Registered
599 Posts
It didn't work for my situation, went to 4:88's and am very happy...

Good luck with your decision...

Hydro
How's 4.88 on gas?

@OP.

I have 35's and 3,21. It does not bother me even coming from a mustang with lots of getgo. I'm putting in lockers though and might as well throw in a bigger gear.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Well I run 3.73 with 35's and it is good, but when you really need it like pulling into fast moving traffic.. Well it just aint there.. I would go 33's and Beef up the axle and do other things to prep for 35's. Guess it depends on where you line as far as down south where it is flat or here up north where it is Hilly. What kind of if any off road riding you plan to do?

·
Registered
88 Posts
How's 4.88 on gas?

@OP.

I have 35's and 3,21. It does not bother me even coming from a mustang with lots of getgo. I'm putting in lockers though and might as well throw in a bigger gear.

16-17 mpg combo driving...

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
16-17 mpg combo driving...
that is about what I average with 3.37 and 35's, my concern with going 4.88 over 4.56 was RPM's want to keep them down for these long drives back to Alabama.

·
Registered
88 Posts
that is about what I average with 3.37 and 35's, my concern with going 4.88 over 4.56 was RPM's want to keep them down for these long drives back to Alabama.

I cruise right along @ 65-70 mph on the interstate with no problems, and have made some hauls from West LA to Central FL without any issues ...

Good luck :thumb:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
ID say go with the 35"s. you will have the tires you REALLY wanted, and you can build up along the way. Once you have them on, it won't be that big a deal and once it becomes a big de,al, do the regear. The way I look at it is, you should get what you want and get ready for any problems, don't settle for less just so you don't have to worry about problems. 3.21 suck on any tire over a 32, so wether it's a 33" or 35", you might as well just regear eventually.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Don't do it- not only will you have to beef up your Cs and axles, you will hate how sluggish it will feel. 4.10s are just barely adequate with 35s.
Wow really? I have 3.73s and 35s and it's not that bad at all. I would have thought with 4.10s it's great.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Trying to decide on lift and tires for a 13 unlimited. It has 3:21 gears and I'm worried 35" tires will be to much drag. Should

I just go with 33". Really don't want to get into new gears right now.
I recall lots of hills around your area.

I checked the topo map view and confirmed what I remember.

There are lots of long mild to moderate grades on PA highways. I would think 3.21 and 33 would be pushing it while 3.21 and 35 would be a real pain in the ass.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I recall lots of hills around your area.

I checked the topo map view and confirmed what I remember.

There are lots of long mild to moderate grades on PA highways. I would think 3.21 and 33 would be pushing it while 3.21 and 35 would be a real pain in the ass.
I live in western Montana and it does not get too much more hilly then that lol. Go from 3000 feet to over 7000 feet on a regular basis with lots of ups and downs in between.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts