Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 339 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last year I have been riding on Toyo 33's with 3:21 gears...Just went to Nitto 35's and 4:56 gears...

Why did I wait a year - wow, what a difference. Drives like it just came off the assembly line - great response with the heavy Nittos...

SO GLAD I CHANGED GEARS!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the 3:21 gears with my new black bear and it has the bf a/t KO2s on it that are 31.5"s. I feel like it's a little sluggish, or it may be the fact that I'm used to a v8. May I would be happier with the 3.73 ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I'm running BFG 34X10.5 K02's on 3.21 gearing,flashed for the bigger tire size.
She bogs in certain situations and down shifts on small grades while on cruise control,on highway, with the 3.21 gears.
I'm getting re-geared to 4.56 gears next week. Sounds like I'll feel a marked improvement with the re-gear.

While we're in there I'm getting E-locker in the back and tru-trak up front.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She bogs in certain situations and down shifts on small grades while on cruise control,on highway, with the 3.21 gears.
I'm getting re-geared to 4.56 gears next week. Sounds like I'll feel a marked improvement with the re-gear.

Yeah, I was truly wondering if I could tell a noticeable difference....and the answer is a YES! Does not bog down, great on the hills and acceleration is great. You will be happy! :)

Reactions: aqualungs

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Yeah, I was truly wondering if I could tell a noticeable difference....and the answer is a YES! Does not bog down, great on the hills and acceleration is great. You will be happy! :)
Glad to hear it.

I can't wait!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
Make sure to share your experience as the inevitable numerous "Do I really need to regear to run big tires" and "My Jeep is just fine on 3.21 and big tires" posts show up. The bulk of the folks in those threads have not driven a properly geared Jeep and do not understand the very significant difference being properly geared makes and benefit from hearing from folks who have "been there done that". It is a huge difference. Regearing appropriate to tire size is the absolute number one bang for your buck modification you can make to a Jeep.

·
Registered
49 Posts

Please let us know how it goes. I'm on 35s with 3.73 gears with a 93 octane tune and thinking about 4.56 with lockers and chromoly axle shafts. Wondering if I should go with a lower gear ratio so would like to hear your thoughts.

·
Super Moderator
6,809 Posts
I have the 3:21 gears with my new black bear and it has the bf a/t KO2s on it that are 31.5"s. I feel like it's a little sluggish, or it may be the fact that I'm used to a v8. May I would be happier with the 3.73 ?

Maybe you would be fine with 3.73's and those tires. But I have the 3.73's and those tires on our JKU BC and the gearing is clearly still too tall. We have a manual transmission. On the street it is over geared off the line and you have to down shift on the highway for hills (we live in the Appalachians so they are fairly big hills). In the dirt easy trails are fine but when you really need to slowly crawl over things you can't. Ours will get re-geared.
Maybe if I lived on flat land and only went to the beach I would be fine, but for where we live and what we do 3.73 gears is not so good with 32" tires.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Now I have the toyo 295 RTs and plan to go to 315's. Have the 3.73 now and plan to go to 4.56. Will it perform better with the bigger tires lower geras than it does now? The 315's BFG KO2's are 10 pounds lighter each than my Toyo 295 RT's. Out here in the west we have long grades some of 8% for miles. But for long trips and freeway speed I still need to be able to cruze at 75. It's a fine line to walk that many have to do.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts

3.21 is sluggish on anything over a 29 inch base Sport tire. I would recommend 4.10 - that is stock Rubicon gearing. 3.73 would be "ok". Go to a dealer and see if you can test drive a stock Jeep with 3.73, and a stock Rubicon with 4.10 and see which you prefer.

Reactions: patd4u

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Make sure to share your experience as the inevitable numerous "Do I really need to regear to run big tires" and "My Jeep is just fine on 3.21 and big tires" posts show up. The bulk of the folks in those threads have not driven a properly geared Jeep and do not understand the very significant difference being properly geared makes and benefit from hearing from folks who have "been there done that". It is a huge difference. Regearing appropriate to tire size is the absolute number one bang for your buck modification you can make to a Jeep.
So true...
It is soooooo much more fun to drive with proper gears. I am not just saying this, it was a huge difference.

·
Registered
15 Posts
3.21 is sluggish on anything over a 29 inch base Sport tire. I would recommend 4.10 - that is stock Rubicon gearing. 3.73 would be "ok". Go to a dealer and see if you can test drive a stock Jeep with 3.73, and a stock Rubicon with 4.10 and see which you prefer.

Damn I really didn't think the 3.21 would be that bad unless I had slapped on 33 or 35s. What is it like 1500 to do the higher gearing ?

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
Now I have the toyo 295 RTs and plan to go to 315's. Have the 3.73 now and plan to go to 4.56. Will it perform better with the bigger tires lower geras than it does now? The 315's BFG KO2's are 10 pounds lighter each than my Toyo 295 RT's. Out here in the west we have long grades some of 8% for miles. But for long trips and freeway speed I still need to be able to cruze at 75. It's a fine line to walk that many have to do.
It will be a dramatic improvement. I would even suggest looking at 4.88.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
Damn I really didn't think the 3.21 would be that bad unless I had slapped on 33 or 35s. What is it like 1500 to do the higher gearing ?

Gear costs tend to vary depending where you live. Here in Phoenix, around $1000-1200.

Reactions: jolo0427

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
It will be a dramatic improvement. I would even suggest looking at 4.88.
IMO the 4.88's will take 34.5 tall tires just a touch out of the cruze RPM sweet spot at 75.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
I have a Rubicon with 4.10's (AT) and just went to Toyo's (285/70-17) and IMO the Jeep is finally "correct" and by that I mean the gears and the tires seem to get along just fine now.
The OE size always felt a little over-geared to me.

Checking speed on Waze, it's dead-on now. It was off by a few MPH with the OE tires.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Please let us know how it goes. I'm on 35s with 3.73 gears with a 93 octane tune and thinking about 4.56 with lockers and chromoly axle shafts. Wondering if I should go with a lower gear ratio so would like to hear your thoughts.
Just went 3.73 -> 4.56 with my 35s. Got dual trutracs at the same time and its like night and day. Definitely worthwhile

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Will do. When I get the re-gear done and a few miles of both on road (city and highway)... and off road...I'll do a little wright up on how the Jeep performs with the new gearing.

Seat of the pants stuff...pull, torque,drive-ability ,and MPG changes,city-highway.

1 - 20 of 339 Posts