Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am on the fence about buying a new 2015 Jeep Wrangler unlimited, with either the 3.21 or 3.71 axles. There are a couple of new Jeeps in my area that are very basic models, (steel wheels, manual windows, etc.) one has the 3.21, and the other has the 3.71.

There is also a new Sport S with the convenience package, Max Tow with 3.71 axles, rear locker, etc..
I want to spend as little as possible, so then I can customize as inspired, but just wonder if I would regret the 3.21 axles later?

Any advice?

Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Unless you specifically plan to regear, lower (numerically higher) is always better.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Definitely go with the 3.73 gears. I had 3.21 on my sport (as basic as you get) - nice power with the 29" stock tires. Took those off within 6 months and put on Rubicon take offs (32") and lost so much power going up and down the canyon roads. Ok on the flat but any incline and you will feel the loss of power.

I have since regeared to 4.56 and put on some 35's. Now everything is good. You are just so limited with the 3.21 gear ratio. And if you can't do the work yourself it costs so much to regear later.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
If you decide to go to a different ratio later then you could keep the carrier out of the front axle, if you do 3.21's then you will need a new carrier which is more expensive then the 3.73 option from the factory to begin with so 3.73's is a big no brainer.

·
Registered
723 Posts
On a 2 door it's not a big deal but on a 4 door maybe. If leaving it stock and you like to drive cool and casual the 3.21s are a more relaxed and fuel efficient ratio. If you like to accelerate hard off the line, live in the mountains, or plan off road the 3.73s are noticeably quicker. I'll admit, my want of 3.73s was one of the reasons I moved up to a Willy's from a total Base model. I now realize I don't really drive my Jeep aggressively and would've been completely happy with the 3.21s. I also would've liked a more mellow highway drive. Admittedly off the line my Willy's smokes the 2014 Mustang V6 I had which had another gear, 10% more power, and 300 pounds less weight. The Mustang had super tall gearing and was a dog until you hit 25, my Jeep hauls ass immediately. Were also talking about at least $3,000-$5,000 more for the Sport S which is a lot of cash IMO.

·
Retired Moderator
100,487 Posts
3.73 Ratio..:thumb:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the advice!

Thanks to everyone who has helped out here. I definitely think going with the 3.73 makes sense in terms of climbing, acceleration, and maybe most of all resale value.
There are several vehicles available at 3 or 4 different dealers, (only one has the 3.21 gears) I test drove a few different ones, and they all seem OK just on road for a short drive. There is a 2015 Sport S for a good price with the 3.73 Max tow package, rear locker, electric windows, etc..
Does anybody have problems with the electric windows, doorlocks, etc? I had been thinking about just keeping it simple, but the electric windows and locks might be nice to have?
I have not owned a Jeep since I was about 20 years old. I had a Willys 1 ton military pickup with a 340 Buick V-8. I used it to go up in the woods and haul firewood. It would only go about 50 mph on the highway.:) I wish I still had it or at least some pictures of it.
I know it doesn't make sense logically to buy a Jeep, (I'll drive it 95% of the time on road) but there is something about Jeeps that makes me want to buy one. I have some property in northern Idaho, and I have never spent too much time exploring the backcountry around there, but now I am getting older, I have it on my bucket list to go there to explore the back woods.
Thanks again, Mike

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thanks to everyone who has helped out here. I definitely think going with the 3.73 makes sense in terms of climbing, acceleration, and maybe most of all resale value.
There are several vehicles available at 3 or 4 different dealers, (only one has the 3.21 gears) I test drove a few different ones, and they all seem OK just on road for a short drive. There is a 2015 Sport S for a good price with the 3.73 Max tow package, rear locker, electric windows, etc..
Does anybody have problems with the electric windows, doorlocks, etc? I had been thinking about just keeping it simple, but the electric windows and locks might be nice to have?
I have not owned a Jeep since I was about 20 years old. I had a Willys 1 ton military pickup with a 340 Buick V-8. I used it to go up in the woods and haul firewood. It would only go about 50 mph on the highway.:) I wish I still had it or at least some pictures of it.
I know it doesn't make sense logically to buy a Jeep, (I'll drive it 95% of the time on road) but there is something about Jeeps that makes me want to buy one. I have some property in northern Idaho, and I have never spent too much time exploring the backcountry around there, but now I am getting older, I have it on my bucket list to go there to explore the back woods.
Thanks again, Mike
I went round and round with this gear ratio issue when I bought mine. Ended up going 3.73 on an Unlimited Sport. Glad I did because within 2 weeks of buying it I swapped to a set of Rubicon take-offs. Even with that change I noticed a little drop in performance. It would have been a lot worse if I had the 3.21.

As for electronic gizmos, they are nice to have, especially if you have kids and you need to lower the back windows quickly. I had a 1993 YJ that was pretty stripped down and it was also great, but I appreciate the electric windows and such a lot more now that I'm older. Either way you can't go wrong. As you already know, there is just something about JEEPS that make it hard to go wrong.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mine is a 2014 JKU. I vote YES to the 3.73 and YES to the pwr windows/locks.

I was like you and debated 3.21 vs 3.73. Went with the 3.73 because that's what was in the Jeep that had everything else just the was I wanted it.
I put just 33" tires and new wheels on mine right after getting it---and I couldn't imagine it with those 3.21 gears.
On top of that, I tow a single axle utility trailer for hauling 'stuff' from time to time. Sure wouldn't want the 3.21 in there doing that.
Door locks are nice to be able to unlock all of the doors when going back to the vehicle with your hands loaded.
I've had no problems with the power windows. It's nice to be able to open up and lower the rear windows just the right amount when going down the road. Actually, I guess I should say the dogs love it as much as I do!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I bought mine new in May of '13. I kick myself for not getting the tow package for an extra $200. The tow package consisted of 3.73's and a rear LSD plus receiver and wiring. You aren't getting aftermarket 3.73's or an LSD installed for anywhere near that price.

Get the 3.73's.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have the 3.21 Shoulda got the 3.73s

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have the 3.73. Admittedly I didn't go looking for it, just happened to be on the Jeep I bought. Glad I have it, I think it will be plenty low enough for my next tire plans (275/70r18 BFG KO2s).

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Thanks again, Mike
Definitely get the power windows and door locks. I've seen a posts where people wish they had gotten them, but I've never seen a post where someone was sorry they got them. I would also get the Connectivity Group. No Connectivity Group is a deal breaker for me.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts