Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's involved in regearing from standard 3.21 to 3.73 or higher? How much does that run? Who does it?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Here's a video on Youtube that'll show you the basics:
Ford 8.8 Ring and Pinion Swap - YouTube

It involves some special tools if you are doing it yourself. Otherwise, it'll run $500 or more per axle. Your local 4x4 shop or rear end/transmission shop should be able to do the swap for you.

Your tire size and vehicle use will dictate your gear ratio. You may want to go something more than 3.73. 4.10, 4.56 and 4.88 are all common.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's a video on Youtube that'll show you the basics:
Ford 8.8 Ring and Pinion Swap - YouTube

It involves some special tools if you are doing it yourself. Otherwise, it'll run $500 or more per axle. Your local 4x4 shop or rear end/transmission shop should be able to do the swap for you.

Your tire size and vehicle use will dictate your gear ratio. You may want to go something more than 3.73. 4.10, 4.56 and 4.88 are all common.
Thanks for the link & info Stan.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was hoping you would say something different lol. My friend just bought the 2013 sport, she is actually being told that with the new motor, there is no reason to regear...

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I was hoping you would say something different lol. My friend just bought the 2013 sport, she is actually being told that with the new motor, there is no reason to regear...
depends on tire size. I am running 33's with 3.21 gears and my 2013 jku does well.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I would be running 35x12.5
might be a little much for the 3.21's depending on what kind of use you have planned for it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The V6 engine has been a nice surprise. I was hoping to get a V8, but looks like it will have to be a aftermarket upgrade. I haven't noticed ant sluggish-nish with the stock 32's. I might just upgrade to some 33's and a bit wider…breaking in the wife to mods.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have an 07 jk with the 3.8l. I have a cold air intake and a stage 1 chip. So I don't have the sluggish anymore with my 35" tires. But I've noticed a big difference in her stock from when mine was stock

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a 2013 sport running 35 x 12.5 with 3.21 gears it sucks. There is no take off, no climbing power, no gas mileage, and don't even try to drive on the highway with an incline drops to third with the slightest grade. I'm just trying to decide if I want 4,56 or 4.88 gears but honestly don't know which one will be better for me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks mckiven. I've been searching for that answer for days now!!! I'm just going to throw 4:88 in my friends 2013 sport and be done with it

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
What kind of tires do you have?
Toyo Open country at2 285/75-16
I have an automatic and I live in Montana where you are either going up or going down.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts