Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have located 2 Arctic vehicles one with 3:21 the other with 3:73. My big question is does the 3:73 make a big difference for a daily driver? I know it's an off-road thing, but is the acceleration that much better than the 3:21 that you feel the difference? I'm not planning on any wild off road ventures any time soon. Thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Are you planning to tow anything, or someday buy larger tires and a lift?

If not, you'll be fine with the 3.21.

However, if you even THINK you'll ever go for some of the above, spend the extra (what...$50?) to get the 3.73's. Once you buy the Jeep, if you decide at any time that you need lower gears, it'll run you around $1500 to get em. Even with a small lift and moderately sized tires, the 3.21 will suffer in high gear on hills and passing on the freeway.

JMO. :D

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I've only had the 3.73 but I love it. It gives me the option to put larger tires on and I'm averaging high 19's mpg.

As you mentioned though it depends on what style of driving you will be doing with your Jeep.

Based on my "limited" experience I'd say go with the 3.73's and don't look back.

·
Banned
764 Posts
The only 12 jesus jeep I have driven was a 3.21. Total dog on the highway and downshifted all the time hunting for a gear. Get the 3.73 or walk. The Jesus motor has no low end power so it needs all the help it can get. Just another mini van motor dumped on the wrangler as jeep is CHEAP. And a sick 5 speed Auto. Should of been in the 07 JK and a six speed ought to be behind the lords engine. Jeep is slower then the second coming, at making improvements. Time they do it's already outdated technology!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Get the 3.73 and don't look back.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
The only 12 jesus jeep I have driven was a 3.21. Total dog on the highway and downshifted all the time hunting for a gear. Get the 3.73 or walk. The Jesus motor has no low end power so it needs all the help it can get. Just another mini van motor dumped on the wrangler as jeep is CHEAP. And a sick 5 speed Auto. Should of been in the 07 JK and a six speed ought to be behind the lords engine. Jeep is slower then the second coming, at making improvements. Time they do it's already outdated technology!
Not sure what you're trying to say. Clarify? :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
So are you guys saying NOT to get a 3.21 5-speed automatic? I was looking as well at an Arctic and the one I saw is only a 3.21. Seemed "ok" on the highway, but far from powerful. Would the 3.73 be more solid?

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
So are you guys saying NOT to get a 3.21 5-speed automatic? I was looking as well at an Arctic and the one I saw is only a 3.21. Seemed "ok" on the highway, but far from powerful. Would the 3.73 be more solid?

Yep, get the 3.73. You'll be glad you did! :thumb:

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
holyjeepers said:
Yes. 3.73. Do that.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
I've test driven both.....back to back.
Took my 3rd test drive in a Saraha JKU with 3.21's about 2 hours ago.....
kbwwolf had it correct.....

I've talked to three different sales people about it...they said the same thing as well. Basically, unless you plan on towing, going with bigger wheels/heavy armor, or live in the hills/mountains, the 3.21's will do for most people.

If you want more pep, get the 3.73's....no big deal. You can't go wrong.

The MPG will be about the same up until about 50 or so mph.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Considering I'm not much a a Jeep or car expert for that matter, would you mind explaining to me what the 3.73 versus the 3.21 gives me? In what way would I notice the differences, especially during daily driving?

FWIW, I live in Florida and we get some unreal rain storms in the summer. I have been in Land Rover's for years and have always felt safe while driving and want to make sure I feel the same in the Jeep. Thanks for the help.

Yep, get the 3.73. You'll be glad you did! :thumb:

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Higher RPMs at a given speed = more horsepower. Selecting 3.21s is like choosing to have 15 or so fewer horses. This gets debated over and over, and it never makes any more sense. For $50?? Get the 3.73.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Just to clarify...

If I were the one buying the Jeep, I'd go 3.73's, regardless of present or future intent. :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Does the MPG get better or worse over 50 mph with the 3.73 versus the 3.21?

I've test driven both.....back to back.
Took my 3rd test drive in a Saraha JKU with 3.21's about 2 hours ago.....
kbwwolf had it correct.....

I've talked to three different sales people about it...they said the same thing as well. Basically, unless you plan on towing, going with bigger wheels/heavy armor, or live in the hills/mountains, the 3.21's will do for most people.

If you want more pep, get the 3.73's....no big deal. You can't go wrong.

The MPG will be about the same up until about 50 or so mph.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Considering I'm not much a a Jeep or car expert for that matter, would you mind explaining to me what the 3.73 versus the 3.21 gives me? In what way would I notice the differences, especially during daily driving?

FWIW, I live in Florida and we get some unreal rain storms in the summer. I have been in Land Rover's for years and have always felt safe while driving and want to make sure I feel the same in the Jeep. Thanks for the help.
The gearing won't have any impact on how it handles in the rain. Both will be fine.

At the same given speed, 3.73's run at a higher RPM than 3.21's...just as 4.10's run at higher RPM's than 3.73's.

Since you are running a bit higher in the RPM band, you tend to have "more power" on tap, but at the expense of some fuel economy. OR if you are towing or running bigger wheels, you need to offset that extra power needed by running at a higher RPM.
Now, the JKU's are heavy beasts with big wheels...so you have to find the best mix of power vs economy. Prior to 2012, the old tranny and engine had a really bad match for gearing....so 3.73's with the 42RLE and 3.8 engine basically had the RPM's run too low....as if the engine was always lugging. So the best fix was to change the rear axle ratio to get the engine to run in a higher RPM range.

To be safe, you should go with the 3.73's. It will be a slight hit at MPG at higher speeds, but it leaves you more options down the line.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Worse, but man...it's like the difference in calories burned when you type and when you text, IMO. :D

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
holyjeepers said:
My response would be that the 3.21s will get slightly better mpgs, but a Ford Explorer will get better than either one. And a Prius beats'em all. You don't go to KFC for salads. If you care about such slight differences in mpgs at the margins, you're looking at the wrong vehicle. Get the 3.73s.

kbwwolf said:
Just to clarify...

If I were the one buying the Jeep, I'd go 3.73's, regardless of present or future intent. :D
^^This.

·
Banned
764 Posts
Not sure what you're trying to say. Clarify? :D
For some of you EINSTEINS that can't understand English. I said, GET THE 3.73 or walk! Go find one with a 3.73 or buy a underpowered pos with the wrong gears and spend 2 to 3 thousand later to correct the problem that jeep and some greedy stupid salesman threw on your lap.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Coming from a Range Rover which gets about 12 feet to the gallon, I don't care about the MPH, but I want to get one that has enough raw power, especially IF I want to tow something down the road.

My response would be that the 3.21s will get slightly better mpgs, but a Ford Explorer will get better than either one. And a Prius beats'em all. You don't go to KFC for salads. If you care about such slight differences in mpgs at the margins, you're looking at the wrong vehicle. Get the 3.73s.

^^This.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts