Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered some and im only prepared to put in extended brake lines, is this everything that needs to be done? And steering components? An extender for my pitman arm maybe? Not quite sure,

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
I am assuming it is a 2 door from your profile. If it is, then your u-joints are going to be toast at some point because of the angle of the drive line at that lift and probably need at least extension brackets for shocks and rear trackbar or front control arm or both. Without needing anything on a 2 door then 2 1/2" is the highest.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im picking up the extended rs9000xl shocks from rancho tomorow, do you really think new control arms would be necessary? What would new ones do anyway? Btw why a new rear trac bar?

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
They make brackets to extend them where they connect. As far as the U-Joints. 3 1/4 is fine with the JKU but the JK has a shorter drive line. So where your transmission and rear axle where close to a level plane. The drive line ran fairly straight from transmission to axle. Now with the lift the transmission now sits 3 1/4" higher then it did before compared to the axles. So now the drive line is no loner sitting at a level plane but rather 3 1/4 inches higher on the transmission side. The transmission and axle where your u-joints connect still point level yet the drive line that connects to them is now at an angle so there lies the problem

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aha! So what may i do to achieve the straightening of this problem? (pun intended:D) and how hard is it replacing u joints on the drivetrain?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And what do you guys think is the most important things to do first? How long should my driveshaft last in a manual? (if you have any idea)

·
The Bad Guy
23,233 Posts
And what do you guys think is the most important things to do first? How long should my driveshaft last in a manual? (if you have any idea)
There's no way of knowing. Strictly driving on the street you should be ok. Flexing off road, not so much.

·
The Bad Guy
23,233 Posts
I have a manual, and where can i pick up replacement parts?
All of the aftermarket places (Quadratec, 4Wheelparts, Morris4X4, Northridge4X4) sell driveshafts.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
daggo66 said:
There's no way of knowing. Strictly driving on the street you should be ok. Flexing off road, not so much.
I go offroading quite a bit, i guess im going to be taking a break for awhile. Ha, could i just not disconnect my swaybar when i go wheelin?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
daggo66 said:
All of the aftermarket places (Quadratec, 4Wheelparts, Morris4X4, Northridge4X4) sell driveshafts.
If i break the u-joints on the driveshaft while on the trail... Are they a difficult replacement if i carry extras?

·
The Bad Guy
23,233 Posts
If i break the u-joints on the driveshaft while on the trail... Are they a difficult replacement if i carry extras?
That's not the problem area on the driveshaft. That's the problem with 35's on the D35. Go look at your driveshafts. You'll see a rubber boot. That boot is hold in the grease for your axle. When that tears the grease comes out and the axle eventually breaks.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
daggo66 said:
That's not the problem area on the driveshaft. That's the problem with 35's on the D35. Go look at your driveshafts. You'll see a rubber boot. That boot is hold in the grease for your axle. When that tears the grease comes out and the axle eventually breaks.
Ohh, so cant i simply replace the boot with a better one? Since the only driveshaft problem is the boot?

·
The Bad Guy
23,233 Posts
Ohh, so cant i simply replace the boot with a better one? Since the only driveshaft problem is the boot?
Did you read the article I posred and look at the pictures? See how thick the stock shaft is? It's not the quality of the boot, it's the fact that there is one and it will tear when it rubs.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
daggo66 said:
Did you read the article I posred and look at the pictures? See how thick the stock shaft is? It's not the quality of the boot, it's the fact that there is one and it will tear when it rubs.
Yeah i read up on that, now the question would be should i just get a transfer case lowering kit and hopefully take care of my front and rear drive shafts? Or is the best way to go gonna be replacing the shafts altogether?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Your trac bars is what will keep your axles centered underneath the jeep. They are not neccessary for us yj guys because we have leaf springs and they do just fine keeping the axle centered with out the tracbar. But with you jk and tj folks you have the coil springs so with out the trac bar your axle would be all over the place making it uncontrolable almost. When you lift your rig the mounting point for the tracbar on your frame is raise making the trac bar on a steeper angle so it will pull your axle to one side and make a mess. Best thing to do for you guys is to get new adjustable tracbars.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts