Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for recommendations for a 3"-4" lift kit. My issue is I have a pretty rough commute and do about 50 miles a day on the highway so I need a lift that will still have good steering at high speeds. I do take it off road on the weekends so I need something that will perform on and off road. I know there's some expensive kits out there that would work but is there an option that won't break the bank?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Your going to be asked the following and probably more;

What is your price point? Do you have a 2dr or 4dr? What size tires do you eventually want to run? Your off road time what does it entail, mud, rocks, fairly tame trails? Do you want shocks included in the kit or no?

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
I'm looking for recommendations for a 3"-4" lift kit. My issue is I have a pretty rough commute and do about 50 miles a day on the highway so I need a lift that will still have good steering at high speeds. I do take it off road on the weekends so I need something that will perform on and off road. I know there's some expensive kits out there that would work but is there an option that won't break the bank?
What is "break the bank" to you?

2 come to mind immediately, the JKS 3.5 J-Spec J Kontrol and the AEV 3.5 Dual Sport SC. Both around $1800 and they are both a "do it right" solution for your application.

So why are you going that high? Running 37" tires?

·
Registered
312 Posts
It is all perspective. I have a 2012 Ford F350 Crew Cab, with the heavy duty suspension and extra tow capacity. I also put on Carly 2" lift springs to level the front and I run Toyo Open Country 37" by 13.5" tires on 20" ford wheels.

When empty the truck rides like a Conestoga Wagon. It is so harsh it will jar your teeth.

My Jeep is a 2017 Rubicon Recon 2 door. I just had a Rough Country 3.5" lift installed. The wheels are 18" and the tires are 35". The Jeep is WAY softer than the F350. It remains far more composed on the highway over potholes and bumps. It is more "bouncy" but nowhere hear as harsh as the Ford.

The Jeep is no luxury car, but after 6 years of daily driving the F350 in the DC/Baltimore area, the Jeep is a clear relief in comfort.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your going to be asked the following and probably more;

What is your price point? Do you have a 2dr or 4dr? What size tires do you eventually want to run? Your off road time what does it entail, mud, rocks, fairly tame trails? Do you want shocks included in the kit or no?
2dr JK, i don't really want to go over $1200, i would say $1500 max for the perfect kit that includes everything . I want to do 35's and i read that 35's with 3.5"-4" was a good combo. Just moderate trail riding right now but i want to be able to expand on that in the future.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
2dr JK, i don't really want to go over $1200, i would say $1500 max for the perfect kit that includes everything . I want to do 35's and i read that 35's with 3.5"-4" was a good combo. Just moderate trail riding right now but i want to be able to expand on that in the future.
Honestly, for a 2 door, 2.5" lift plus 35s is a sweet spot. I would suggest 3-4" for a 4 door only because the break over angle and the long wheel base tend to aid in the 4 doors getting stuck on the belly.

Sticking with 2.5" i think is really the thing to do. if you do this, you can EASILY get a good quality lift with everything you need for under 1500 bucks.

Here is a really good thread: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/most-popular-lift-shock-setup-on-wf-1136938.html

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
I'd say 2.5-3.5 on 35's... A 4" lift is more suited to 37" tires. Most people here run a 2.5 with 35's.

Take a look at the Rubicon Express RE7125M if you want a 3.5. It's going to be around $1200 but at least it has caster and steering correction included with Bilstein shocks...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So if i went with say a 2.5" plus 35's and then had rubbing with the sway bar disconnected would wheel spacers correct that?

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
So if i went with say a 2.5" plus 35's and then had rubbing with the sway bar disconnected would wheel spacers correct that?
You will have to have either properly back spaced wheels or wheel spacers no matter what to run 35's.

Fender rubs are prevented by having the proper bump stop size installed. Most kits are prepared for the use of 35's and include the bump stops needed.

A real popular 2.5 set up is the Teraflex WF most popular lift set up.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/most-popular-lift-shock-setup-on-wf-1136938.html

Another very popular build today is the Mopar 2". It can be had for $910 plus geometry correction on Amazon. While it says 2", it really is a 2.5.

Reactions: Heavy-Metal

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You will have to have either properly back spaced wheels or wheel spacers no matter what to run 35's.

Fender rubs are prevented by having the proper bump stop size installed. Most kits are prepared for the use of 35's and include the bump stops needed.

A real popular 2.5 set up is the Teraflex WF most popular lift set up.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/most-popular-lift-shock-setup-on-wf-1136938.html

Another very popular build today is the Mopar 2". It can be had for $910 plus geometry correction on Amazon. While it says 2", it really is a 2.5.
Great info, thanks.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
I just pot the TF 3 inch on and it's really a full 3 inch. Same kit on a 2 door is 4 inch. If I was doing it all over again I would just go to 2.5. My front DS looks pretty stressed at the TC end. My rear got a full 3 inches and it sits level so front got close to 5. 25 inches from wheel center to flare bottom front and rear.

·
Premium Member
9,593 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
i did the teraflex 2.5 and added 1 1/4 body just because i like a little gap in the wheel well. It looks tall without messing up the geometry to bad. I also added core 4x4 front adjustable arms and it made a huge difference in how it drives

·
Registered
157 Posts
To answer the OP question....I have Rubicon Express 3.5 lift w/35's on my 4dr, I also have a 70+ mile daily commute. The jeep rides very nice and has good road manners. As far as offroad I have no complaints there either, whether it is trails or rocks.

·
Premium Member
9,593 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I would recommend the following kit. The only extra thing you need is exhaust spacers. I really don't know anyone who has not been happy with this kit.

JK Wrangler True Dual-Rate Lift Kit, 2.5"/3.5", RockSport Edition
I gotta agree with this too. Great kit on and off-road and great price / setup - no compromises here. On-road, I can't tell the difference between the rocksport and 6pak shocks. And off-road the rocksports perform pretty good too.

Only thing I'd question since your budget is limited...those rocksport shocks are pretty long, (same length for their 2.5" and 3.5" lifts) - so watch your front driveshaft boot.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts