Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I'm fairly new to the forums and I needed some input from some more educated folk. I have an '07 Jeep 4dr and I haven't really done anything major to it except for a front bumper and interior parts. I am ready to 'progress' my Wrangler from stock to a lifted, bigger tire idea vehicle. I have discussed this with my parents, as this is a huge investment for a college student who is on a tight budget. I have persuaded them that I want to upgrade to a 3.5 lift with 35' BFG A/T. I would like to hear what you guys have to say about what you would promote, what I may need in addition to the lift and tires, and just your overall input on the subject.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Read some of the threads on the benefits of 2.5" or less lifts kits. Just about every 2.5" lift talks about it.

If you still decide to with 3.5" prepare to buy other parts that are not included in the lift like driveshafts, adjustable control arms, ball joints, etc.

Your '07 has the 3.8L engine which does very poorly without the proper gearing. 35" tires are best fitted with a 5.13 gear ratio. Changing gears runs about $2K with labor.

Since you are limited on your parent's budget, be kind to them and stick with a 2.5" lift and spend the savings on gears. It will provide enough lift for 35" tires. It will make your Jeep a lot more drivable on the road.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Read some of the threads on the benefits of 2.5" or less lifts kits. Just about every 2.5" lift talks about it. If you still decide to with 3.5" prepare to buy other parts that are not included in the lift like driveshafts, adjustable control arms, ball joints, etc. Your '07 has the 3.8L engine which does very poorly without the proper gearing. 35" tires are best fitted with a 5.13 gear ratio. Changing gears runs about $2K with labor. Since you are limited on your parent's budget, be kind to them and stick with a 2.5" lift and spend the savings on gears. It will provide enough lift for 35" tires. It will make your Jeep a lot more drivable on the road.
okay thank you. Yeah I'm actually working full time while I go to school full time so it's a bit tough for myself to afford the more expensive items-I have about 3k saved up all together though. Do you suggest a 2&1/2 lift of some kind?

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Look at the Teraflex lifts if you're on a budget. You can do a budget boost lift for $500. I'd recommend getting a lift that includes new springs at least. You can reuse your stock shocks with brackets. I have a 3.5" lift on my Jeep and have not had any issues with needing a drive shaft and I didn't need anything that you wouldn't need with a 2.5" lift. However, I do have adjustable front upper control arms. You can keep it cheap and get some geometry correction brackets for your lower control arms and that will correct the caster on your front axle. They hang down a bit but work just fine. The above poster is right though on your 3.8L motor. It's kind of a dog. Unless you have a Rubicon with 4.10 gears, it's going to be a slug. Even with the 4.10s, it's still going to be kind of a pig with 35s. If you have 3.73s you're not going to enjoy driving it on the highway. If you have the 3.21s, you'll hate it. Regear is not cheap. A buddy of mine just paid $1,800 to have his done. You will also need a programmer like the AEV procal to adjust your computer for new tire sizes or axle ratios. I paid $160 for my Procal. Also, I have 35" BFG KM2s on my Jeep. But when I measure them, they're only 34" tall. I'm not sure if their A/Ts are the same way, but I'd guess they are. Whatever you do, it's not going to be cheap. If you just did four tires and wheels, you're still looking at $1,500 at a minimum and that's with about as cheap of wheels as you can find. A cheap ass budget boost is going to be $500 at LEAST. Add in the other odds and ends you didn't think of like geometry brackets, programmer, TPMS sensors, etc. and you're looking at $2,500 for a cheap lift with 35s and that's before a regear if you need it and you likely will. People drive them like this all the time though.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I agree, when you get over 3" of lift, the costs go WAY up. 2.5" is a great lift for 35" tires. I recommend looking at the AEV lift, it's going to provide the best onroad ride, yet be good offroad...

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
I went a different route and gained clearance with MCE flat fenders. I just recently added TF Leveling Springs and gained the clearance I wanted while taking away the rake. I had an AEV 2.5" lift and then had to add other things to make it work well. I think some people need even more things with a 3.5". I wasn't willing to go that high since my dog is getting old. Although I think 3.5" and 35's looks great!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts