Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I plan on getting 37's later this year on my JKUR and I really liked the quality and feedback from the Metalcloak lifts. However, I want to keep stock fenders and I'm not sure anything less than a 4" or 4.5" lift is going to work without rubbing. Since Metalcloak doesn't seem to have a 4.5" lift, is it possible to run a 37x12.5x17 tire on one of their 3.5" lifts without losing much stock travel or am I going to need to look for another lift vendor?

·
Super Moderator
22,061 Posts
The 3.5 is tall my buddy has one and they are tall
He could easily run 37's

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
Would not recommend 4.5 on a stock axle - the steering and driveline angles are too much. If you put in aftermarket axles, they have better ability to handle the geometry.

New Fenders (definitely doable with flats), new axles ($$$$$) capable of sufficient caster (and a drag link flip for sure)...or so much bump stop and/or trimming that you basically have zero flex.

On the street, 3.5 with maybe just a little trimming of fender/airdam with correctly backspaced wheels. But offroad is where the bigger issues would be.

·
Premium Member
7,353 Posts
Hey guys

I plan on getting 37's later this year on my JKUR and I really liked the quality and feedback from the Metalcloak lifts. However, I want to keep stock fenders and I'm not sure anything less than a 4" or 4.5" lift is going to work without rubbing. Since Metalcloak doesn't seem to have a 4.5" lift, is it possible to run a 37x12.5x17 tire on one of their 3.5" lifts without losing much stock travel or am I going to need to look for another lift vendor?
They do have a 4.5 inch kit:

JK Wrangler Game-Changer Suspension 4.5", Hi-Steer, RockSport Edition

Actually you can get in in all the shock options. And while MC does not recommend stock fenders at 3.5 I am sure you can run them. You will need to run 4 inches of bump stop and you will probably rubbing at full stuff. If you keep your jeep light it might not even rub.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Super Moderator
22,061 Posts

probably would need another inch of bump stops up front. They come with a good assortment of bumps stops

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have 37's on 3.5inch , metalcloak control arms, and metalcloak springs.

·
Premium Member
7,353 Posts
Hell just get Metalcloak's Overline Fenders. Can run 37 on stock suspension.

·
Premium Member
7,353 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hi Kcasey,

How much bump stop are you running? Which Metal Cloak fenders are those?
they are the hardline fenders, i love them, i also have the metalcloak sliders.

i think between 3 and 4. the guys at the shop made the tweaks so im right up to the fender they said i have about 1/4 inch at the fender. i prob could do with a bit more, but i have yet to ever rub.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Thanks!

You can count the number of pucks that they used; they are 1 inch each.

I've got the 3.5" Metal Cloak and running stock fenders for now with 3" of bumpstop. Looking forward to putting on new fenders and getting rid of even more pucks for more travel.

Only 35"s now, but want to step up to 37"s when these wear out.

·
Premium Member
7,353 Posts
Thanks!

You can count the number of pucks that they used; they are 1 inch each.

I've got the 3.5" Metal Cloak and running stock fenders for now with 3" of bumpstop. Looking forward to putting on new fenders and getting rid of even more pucks for more travel.

Only 35"s now, but want to step up to 37"s when these wear out.
Might want to play with that a bit. I running 2.5 inch lift with 3 inches of bumpstop and I don't rub with stock fenders on 35's.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
With the correct bump stops and at least 5.2 backspacing it should be no problem. I have 35's on my MC 2.5 with stock fenders. Could fit 37's with flat fenders.
You are going to need 3.5" backspacing on your wheels with 37's. I had 35's with 4.5" backspacing and started rubbing the frame and fender liners when I went to 37's. 5.2" backspace will not work unless you are going with a very narrow tire.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
I run a 3.5" Metalcloak Gamechanger with 37's and needed the flat fenders. Metalcloak has a chart that shows the recommended amount of bumpstop with each size tire with the 3.5" lift.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Might want to play with that a bit. I running 2.5 inch lift with 3 inches of bumpstop and I don't rub with stock fenders on 35's.
Been meaning to take one puck out and see if it will rub; trying to not tear a fender off, but I want new ones anyway :).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts