Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched YouTube came up empty on this one.

Anyone do just a resonator delete on a 3.6 JK ?

If so, any sound clips ?

·
Registered
317 Posts
I would be interested as well.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I doubt itll sound good. Just delete it and weld it back in if you dont like it

·
Super Moderator
23,490 Posts
I talked to someone who removed and he said droned terrible and he needed to replace it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Super Moderator
23,490 Posts
Was it on a 3.6 ?
yes it was a 2012 2 door hard top rubicon. He removed it because he was worried that it would get trail damaged but ended up putting it back on and making a skid plate for it. He said it was terrible on the highway.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
I removed mine and noticed a very small difference in sound...I didn't notice any drone sound.

·
Registered
468 Posts
First I installed a Flowmaster 40 series in the stock location, leaving the resonator in place. It made my exhaust a bit deeper, but still very quiet. I then removed the resonator, and now my exhaust is louder. It's not ridiculously loud, but definitely louder. I also have no drone. Not sure what it would sound like with a stock muffler, but it will probably be louder.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Interesting thread. I think I want to open my exhaust up a bit if for nothing else, a little more sound...not really worried about increases in performance.

Just found this system and am wondering what it would sound like.

·
Registered
34 Posts
On my 2012 2 door I have been running a Thrush muffler (same basic thing as the flowmaster just cheaper) in the stock location since a week after I bought it in Nov 2011. I have the resonator on and I like the sound. I have no drone on the highway but you can hear the exhaust if you stomp on the gas. I have thought about removing the resonator but just have not gotten around to it. With the thrush muffler and paying for an install I paid about $120 to go from silent to a decent sounding Jeep.

·
Registered
2 Posts
no resonator

I think the difference is marked when you drive a manual. People up-shifting at low rpm will experience the "dronning". Some people can live with it and love it, some others turn deaf after a few months....:lmao:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Has anyone that did exhaust mods on a 3.6 Wrangler notice any changes in performance and/or MPGs at all ?

·
Vendor
439 Posts
Has anyone that did exhaust mods on a 3.6 Wrangler notice any changes in performance and/or MPGs at all ?
I have. :) So on the old 3.8 we saw nominal gains in both HP/TQ on our systems, high single digits, low double digits. We haven't had our 3.6 on the dyno yet, but I would guess similar gains. But the 3.6 is a pretty efficient engine from the factory. The main benefit is to lose that bulky rear muffler and do a relocate if you want.

On my 2013 JKU I am on 37's, 60's and really don't look at MPG's. :jawdrop:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have. :) So on the old 3.8 we saw nominal gains in both HP/TQ on our systems, high single digits, low double digits. We haven't had our 3.6 on the dyno yet, but I would guess similar gains. But the 3.6 is a pretty efficient engine from the factory. The main benefit is to lose that bulky rear muffler and do a relocate if you want.

On my 2013 JKU I am on 37's, 60's and really don't look at MPG's. :jawdrop:
I would like to know if there is any gain on the dyno with the 3.6

1 - 17 of 17 Posts