Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's many times I'm sitting idle waiting and can see the benefit of my engine shutting off. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong that's avoiding it triggering, or if it's because it's a manual. I'd be nice if this feature worked. (I get it, it's a huge annoyance for a lot of people)

I've sat idle in neutral with the parking brake set and at lights with the brake down in neutral and the engine never shuts off. I do have a Tazer mini installed, but it didn't work before the install either. And I haven't turned on/off anything that should affect it afaik anyway.

It's done this since I bought it a couple months ago. 2019 2D JL 3.6 Manual. Any ideas?

·
Retired Moderator
13,157 Posts
Yes. Either (1) the auxiliary battery is not holding sufficient charge any more, or (2) you are not driving long enough to recharge the battery.

My bet is it is (1). The OE batteries are notorious for not lasting very long.

Good luck.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My bet is it is (1). The OE batteries are notorious for not lasting very long.
Great. I'm guessing there's no way to know without digging in there and testing it? And at that point, might as well replace it given the work needed to get to the damn thing? Would a bad aux battery affect anything else?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As an aside: I'm getting no errors, nothing. Just that the ESS does not function at all. I read in another thread someone's AUX went out and it started throwing errors. Not sure that matters, but strange to me that there's no indication it's bad other than ESS not working.

·
Retired Moderator
13,157 Posts
Great. I'm guessing there's no way to know without digging in there and testing it? And at that point, might as well replace it given the work needed to get to the damn thing? Would a bad aux battery affect anything else?
Yes. It will make your backup camera disappear and reappear, your CEL and TPMS lights to come on and go away, your speakers pop, your transfer case shift into 4H on its own, etc., etc.

As ridiculous as it all sounds, I am not kidding.

In my case, all of these gremlins appeared randomly over a two-week period. But when the speakers started popping, that’s when I finally replaced the batteries.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes. It will make your backup camera disappear and reappear, your CEL and TPMS lights to come on and go away, your speakers pop, your transfer case shift into 4H on its own, etc., etc.

As ridiculous as it all sounds, I am not kidding.

In my case, all of these gremlins appeared randomly over a two-week period. But when the speakers started popping, that’s when I finally replaced the batteries.
Crazy. None of that is happening in mine. Everything works great outside of ESS. I assumed (incorrectly it seems) it was somehow disabled since I'm getting no errors, everything else works as it should...

Given the age - it's a 2019 with 10k miles on it - I'll probably swap out the AUX this weekend. Looks like it's going to be a bit of a chore, but do-able. Hopefully that takes care of my problems.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Setting the parking brake will defeat the start stop process. Think I'd start there.
When driving a manual transmission vehicle, I've never used the parking brake for anything but parking. It would NEVER have occurred to me to try to use it while actually driving! Unless perhaps I were stopped at a light on a very steep hill, a situation I've never found myself in.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When driving a manual transmission vehicle, I've never used the parking brake for anything but parking. It would NEVER have occurred to me to try to use it while actually driving! Unless perhaps I were stopped at a light on a very steep hill, a situation I've never found myself in.
Parking lot waiting on family, sometimes for 10-20 mins. In neutral with the parking brake pulled.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And you are sure the ESS isn't disabled with the Tazer Mini...
Pretty sure. I had the car a good week or two before getting the Tazer and the engine has never shut off at a light. I’ll double check the settings, but I know I didn’t disable it - unless it’s disabled by default, or I did it by accident (unlikely).

·
Retired Moderator
13,157 Posts
You need to have your foot firmly planted on the brake for ESS to engage. It won’t come on any other way.

If you even shift your foot just a tiny bit on the brake pedal, ESS will disengage.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
You need to have your foot firmly planted on the brake for ESS to engage. It won’t come on any other way. If you even wiggle your foot just a tiny bit on the brake pedal, ESS will disengage.
I have to wonder how the ESS works for those many ignorant drivers who like to use the brake AND the accelerator simultaneously?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You need to have your foot firmly planted on the brake for ESS to engage. It won’t come on any other way. If you even wiggle your foot just a tiny bit on the brake pedal, ESS will disengage.
I see. So it won’t engage if I’m “parked” with it in neutral and the brake pulled.

Could you give me an example that would trigger it? Something I could do in my drive way - for instance.

Seems awful finicky. I figured by the posts here hating on it - I’d be coming on at every chance it has. ;)

·
Retired Moderator
13,157 Posts
I see. So it won’t engage if I’m “parked” with it in neutral and the brake pulled.

Could you give me an example that would trigger it? Something I could do in my drive way - for instance.

Seems awful finicky. I figured by the posts here hating on it - I’d be coming on at every chance it has. ;)
Yes. It is finicky.

For instance, when I drive to the gym, 7 minutes away, ESS won’t engage at the first stop sign, only 30 seconds away from my driveway. But it will engage by the time I hit the first light, which is 2 or 3 minutes away. I don’t know if it needs a little time or reach a certain speed first for a ESS to become available. At that point all I have to do is come to a complete stop and keep my foot on the brake. ESS will kick in right away.

If I shuffle my foot on the brake, though, ESS will disengage immediately and it WON’T COME ON AGAIN until the vehicle starts moving and I come to a complete stop at another light. At that point the cycle starts all over.

Those who don’t like ESS learn to shuffle their foot on the brake when they come to a full stop to prevent the system from engaging.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I have to wonder how those who drive with their feet on both the gas and the brake pedals get anywhere... :ROFLMAO:
Indeed. Although sad to say, that is far from the least stupid thing I see many drivers do. Such as this recent penchant many of them have to blindly barrel onto a freeway or highway without any consideration whatsoever for the existing traffic in the right-hand (merging) lane. I've narrowly avoided two separate collisions in recent months due to this --- in very light traffic!

·
Retired Moderator
13,157 Posts
PS - I HATED ESS at first, but I don’t mind it any more.

I now feel bad when I’m idling at a light, burning gas for no good reason.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts