Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Long story short, just replaced my radiator due to one of the common corner failure areas (small pin hole leak at the driver side upper seam) and the new aftermarkt OEM style radiator seems to have a slightly undersized connection for the overflow hose. Jeep isn't over heating but when it tries to purge a bit of fluid it leaks between the hose and the connection on the radiator. It takes no force to slide it off. The jeep is a 2017 so the hose is nearly new and while I remember the friction connection on the OEM radiator was never super tight, it was certainly way tighter than this and never leaked.

Before I got through the hassle of replacing the hose, trimming it, etc, I was thinking of trying a clamp.

My question is have any of you needed to do something like this with a non oem radiator and oem overflow hose in the past? Just curious.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
You can clamp it with a zip tie.
Check also the plastic nipple if it has any extra plastic left at the seam after molding.
I sometimes apply silicone - it wont leak but its a pita to remove after.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
This hose connection was slightly loose on my 2014 when new. I used a small ty-rap on it.

Reactions: dmulk

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
Zip tie will work fine for that.

Just have to make sure it's not leaking at all, otherwise it won't suck coolant back into the system like it was designed to do.... but rather air.

·
Super Moderator
7,748 Posts
A zip tie will work. I prefer a "constant tension band hose clamp." You can get them in stores like NAPA or AAP, they come in many different sizes.

Reactions: dmulk

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies, all. Seems like others have indeed encountered this before.

I ordered a set of different size constant rate clamps (be good to have some around the garage anyway).

Cheers!
<D>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts