Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, gear thread bare with me. I want specifics on 2012+ JKs and JKUs with a 6-speed and 3.73 gears, please tell me your experience. I feel the auto and 3.73s have the loudest voice I want hear from you stick drivers how the deeper gears behave for day to day use.

I am ordering my first new Jeep! 2016 JK sahara 6-speed. I'm completely hung up on gear selection.

I've read allll the repeat threads of 3.21 vs 3.73. I test drove a stock JKU with 3.21s and a 6 speed and honestly it felt pretty dang quick. This was on flat land and a quick highway stint, didn't need 6th until 65mph. I can only locate one 3.73 stick in my area, its on a rubicon. I'm hoping to give it a test drive in the next couple days before closing an order.

This is going to be my DD. I do not plan to lift or ever go bigger the 33s (but I would like the option for true-32s or 33s). I will wear the stock tires until I need to replace with skinny AT 32s or 33s pizza-cutters. Not going to rock crawl it, I like to camp, drive to the beach, yearly fly fishing trips to the rockies. 99% on road right now. No idea where I'll be or how much HWY driving I'll be doing in the future.

3.73s sound like the obvious choice, my only concern is I have a way-over-geared xj right now and it is no fun on CA hwys. For those of you with 3.73s and a stick are you bummed on highway driving?

Anyone with 3.73 and a stick want to report on the highway experience? MPG when driving normal traffic? Fun to practicality factor? I'm on the fence to go with 3.21s I just don't want to put a slightly heavier 32 on later down the road and lose all benefits to it. Someone talk some sense into me please.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I've got 3.73s and a stick. No complaints with highway speeds. There's probably a small hit to the gas mileage cruising 70 down the interstate with 3.73 vs 3.21, but I doubt it is significant.

If you think you might want to run 32 or 33 inch tires down the road, and are planning on driving in mountainous terrain, I'd go with the 3.73s.

·
Jeeper
49 Posts
Can't specifically speak about the 3:73 gears, but I have the 6-speed manual with 4:10 (factory) gearing, and it is quite excellent. Originally came with 31" KO tires - upgraded to 315 Duratracs last April with no issues. Always seems to be in the powerband, takes off like a shot, and with the Superchips Flashpaq "89 Octane" tune, I get 16 MPG around town, and right around 18 highway (doing 70). I would say that if you ever plan on towing anything, or loading the Jeep down with camping gear, that the 3:73 ratio would be the best option - the 3:21 tends to big down with anything beyond a few passengers.

Cheers

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've got 3.73s and a stick. No complaints with highway speeds. There's probably a small hit to the gas mileage cruising 70 down the interstate with 3.73 vs 3.21, but I doubt it is significant. If you think you might want to run 32 or 33 inch tires down the road, and are planning on driving in mountainous terrain, I'd go with the 3.73s.
Both of my Jk's are 6 spds have 3:73's in them and yes they can be hard to locate, even harder when your buying pre-owned like I did. My one has stock 17's and rubber and my other has 32" Duratracs. My plans are somewhat like yours, its my DD, not going bigger then 33's but I want to have a little there for offroad ability( plan to start doing some expedition/over landing) and pull a smaller trailer. I too drove a JK with 3:21's but an auto and it to be just perfect for road only, get you better highway economy but once you start to load it down you will begin to notice it in acceleration.
I regularly get 17-17.5 mpg in combined driving, 18-19 with 45-60 mph cruise and my max highway has been 20 mpg but thats running closer to 60-65 and I tend to be a 70+ driver. I think the 3:73's are the best all around option for economy, drivability, off the line power and good highway speed. So in short go for the 3:73's if your not going to be off roading a lot.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I've got a '15 Willy's JKU (6 speed 3.73 gears) that I've put almost 25000 on since February. My average is about 17 mpg. On the highway I'm a speed limit +9/14 guy and around town I'm speed limit + 5/9.

On the highway it's fine. Climbing hills you will downshift, I don't see that as a problem. Through south Texas on I-10 where the speed limit was 80 mph I set the cruise on 88 and it was just fine. NO ISSUES. Out west climbing major hills I would be down to 5th and maybe 4th to make the climb at speed.

In town it holds it's own. 0-60 isn't the greatest but that's not what it's about. I don't feel overly slowed down by it.

I can't tell you how it'll do with mods, mine is still on the stock tires. (Like you i'll wear these out before I go larger) Stock it's a lot of fun.

I do go out playing in the mountains and it stands up just fine. I would like a little more clearance but the gearing is not an issue.

Will

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I didn't think there was such a combo as Rubi stick with 3.73s? You might double check that before you use it for a comparison. Rubi is stock 4.10 with the stick.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I have logged all my fill-ups and miles for 46k miles since I bought my JKU Sport S with 2 miles on it (actual not computer). I ordered it with 3.73s and the 6-speed. I get roughly 18 combined and 22 highway. I drove to San Francisco and back from Portland and logged about 23 MPG highway on that trip.

The 3.21 gears are only marginally appropriate on the base Wrangler automatic with the smaller steel wheels and tires. You absolutely do not want 3.21s with the 6-speed and 17"/18" wheels. The only way 3.21 is better is if you drive 100% on the highway, where the highway is completely flat or downhill both ways. Even then, that ratio is highly undesirable for future resale and upgrades.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I had a two door stick rubi and loved it with 4.10s. I would not consider 3.21s.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I've put about 36k miles on my JKU with a stick and 3.73 gears, and also 285/70/17 tires. My daily commute is 60 sometimes hilly interstate miles and I do a fair amount of traveling to nearby mountainous territory as well. I've been very pleased with the level of 'get up and go' this setup provides.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am running the stock wheels/tires on my '15 JKU Sahara 6 speed 3.73 gears. Found no issues driving on the highway from NY to Atlanta over christmas. Averaged about 22mpg on the hwy with cruise set at 70 (for the most part).

·
Premium Member
10,468 Posts
3:21 are not something to get IMO. With my Rubi running stock tires and 4:10 gears I still have to down shift on any of our mountain passes. 3:73 may be ok but if you are going to add much weight to the vehicle or go any larger on tires I would think 4:10's are your best option.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I have a 2dr 6 spd stick with 3:73, I do around 20/21 mpg at 70 mph and 18 mpg around town. I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
I have a 2014 with 3.73s, stick, 2.5" lift, 16" wheels with 4.5" backspace, and 285/75-16 Cooper ST tires.
Absolutely fine until I tow. Then I wish for 4.10s or even 4.56.

If you're not going to tow and will never go bigger than 33s, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I went with the 3.73, after driving it back to back with the 3.21. After 5k miles I am averaging 18.7 mpg (by the evic's calculations). I am happy with my choice and feel that it has plenty of "get up" for my needs. I am also not as apprehensive to put on 33's or tow something.

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
BTW, my commute is via twisty 2-lane backroads with nothing faster than 45 mph. Bone stock on 32" TSRs, I was getting 22 mpg (gps mileage, hand calc).
With no lift and 255/80-17 Cooper ST-Maxx tires that dropped to 19 mpg.
With the lift and 285/75-16 tires that dropped again to a little over 17 mpg.

When these tires are gone I'm going back to skinnies. 255/85-16 ST-Maxx probably.

·
Registered
693 Posts
15-2 dr man 3.73 gears 305/70/16. I ordered it with 3.73 gears because I knew the first thing I was doing was adding wheels and tires. Mine was a base with 29 in tires. First gear was useless until I upgraded wheels and tires. Now at 70 mph I'm turning 2100 rpm. 65 mph at 2000 rpm 60 mph at 1900 rpm. IMO the 3.73 is the perfect fit for 32/33 in tires. Now first gear to 15 mph which is still pretty low for climbing. In 6th gear I can do 80 mph all day. If you shift at 2000 rpm you get your best gas mileage.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Have no complaints with my 15 jk set up with 3.73. Got the upgraded gearing knowing i was going to go with 33s. 3 pedals 2 doors.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
You're fine. I have an auto with 4.10s and it'll run 80-85 all day long. Well, not all day as you'll stop for gas often since 80 is like 3000 rpm. Haha. The Jeep will always be loud, the few hundred RPM difference (if that much) between 3.21 and 3.73 will be negligible. Always buy lower gears. Complaints of 3.21 are all over, no one ever complains about being too low geared (stock anyhow).

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you everyone! 3.73 it is :dance: I almost lost track of priorities there. You guys have eased my worries about over gearing hearing that 20mpg is achievable at 70mph, and on the stock 32s (31") that should be about 2250-2300RPM on the manual. I think if I was getting an automatic I would go with 3.21s, due to the slight better match up. Now only to decide on a color... :atomic:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts