Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

First posting on this site, I come here a lot. I was wondering two things. I recently bought a 2013 Rubicon Unlimited and after buying it realized that I wanted to lift it. Than called the dealer and they told me I have 3.73 gear ratio. I wanted to run 35" tires but am unsure about the power loss I will experience.

And also, a 4.5 AEV lift is being installed next week. So my question, is it a must to re-gear maybe 4:10 and will my black Rubicon look funny with 35" tires and a 4.5" lift.

Any pictures of other AEV 4.5 Lifted JK Unlim with 35" tires would be very appreciated.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My opinion...

the 3.5" lift from AEV is for the 35" tires, and the 4.5" is for 37" tires. Granted, the 35" tires are going to have all of the room needed to let that suspsension articulate all over the place on the trails. Running 35s will let you run your gears with minimal issues. You should see a difference on the highway in 5th and 6th gear going up hill, and from a dead start. On the trail, you might have a bit of steering difficulty in the heavy rock more difficult trails.

either way, you will love the suspension!

What wheel and tires did you go with?

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
It'll be fine. Not ideal, but fine. Going to 4.10s or 4.56s now is going to run $1200 to $2000.

Why so much lift? If you wheel a lot, then it could prove useful if you really like rock crawling and flexing the suspension. But otherwise that's a lot of height for 35s. It'll be okay, but it's a lot if height.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks very much for the replies! I went with 17" beadlock wheels by Spyderlock. They're a company based out of Colorado right down the street from me.
They're website is: Spyderlock beadlock home. I'm sure you guys have heard of them. 35x12.5x17 KM2 for tires.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It'll be fine. Not ideal, but fine. Going to 4.10s or 4.56s now is going to run $1200 to $2000.

Why so much lift? If you wheel a lot, then it could prove useful if you really like rock crawling and flexing the suspension. But otherwise that's a lot of height for 35s. It'll be okay, but it's a lot if height.

I went with the 4.5" lift thinking that there's a good chance I would want to throw 37" tires on in the future. And it was only a $75 dollar upgrade from the 3.5 price.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Indybear said:
I went with the 4.5" lift thinking that there's a good chance I would want to throw 37" tires on in the future. And it was only a $75 dollar upgrade from the 3.5 price.
Gotcha.

For that, you'll likely want to regear. Though it's really a preference issue.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
We've installed many lifts on JKs, and a good number of those were 12s and 13s. With 35s, you can get away without regearing and won't notice a big drop in power, thanks to the new 3.6 engines.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We've installed many lifts on JKs, and a good number of those were 12s and 13s. With 35s, you can get away without regearing and won't notice a big drop in power, thanks to the new 3.6 engines.
Well thats definitely good to hear! The salesman I bought the Rubicon from had only good things to say about the new engine design.
Thanks everyone, this makes me feel much better about everything.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey I saw your post. I have 35s on an '12 auto JKUR with 3.73 gears and it drives fine. Just get AEV procal and reprogram the CPU for the correct gear and tire size and you will be good to go!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey I saw your post. I have 35s on an '12 auto JKUR with 3.73 gears and it drives fine. Just get AEV procal and reprogram the CPU for the correct gear and tire size and you will be good to go!
Will the dealership not reprogram the CPU for me when they put on the lift? If not, guess AEV will be taking more of my money...
Thanks for the info:D

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Indybear said:
Will the dealership not reprogram the CPU for me when they put on the lift? If not, guess AEV will be taking more of my money...
You're having the dealer put on the lift? Why? There's a good chance you're paying through the nose--have you shopped around prices?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Indybear said:
It's my understanding that the dealership cannot reprogram for anything larger than factory Rubicon size tires.

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
I thought any lift over 4 inches requires more work in other areas? Plus, I would think beadlocks would be pretty heavy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You're having the dealer put on the lift? Why? There's a good chance you're paying through the nose--have you shopped around prices?
I had a somewhat less than positive experience with a company that installed a lift in a previous jeep I owned. The thing creaked and popped on every turn basically didn't feel safe. I vowed to have all the work done on my new jeep by a certified mopar/jeep mechanic. I might be paranoid but I've got a baby on the way and I can't afford to have shoddy work done on my vehicle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I thought any lift over 4 inches requires more work in other areas? Plus, I would think beadlocks would be pretty heavy.
I haven't purchased the the beadlocks yet I was planning on doing it this week. They are pretty heavy. Your comment is making me rethink my decision on the beadlocks. Heck, I might just keep the stock Rubi wheels on for the time being. They look pretty my fiance says so if she's happy I'm happy.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts