Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at purchasing my first Wrangler Unlimited, probably will have the dealer order it. I pull a small Uhaul trailer once a year and thinking of maybe buying a small pop up trailer in a couple years (maybe).

I can't decide if I really need the 3.73 rear axle or can stay with the standard axle. Does the 3.73 rear axle doing anything more than provide more low end torque and increase tow capacity to 3500lbs? Does it provide any benefit when four wheeling and does the MPG drop?

Also does the Anti-Spin differential keep the wheels from spinning only in four wheel drive mode or also in two wheel drive for the rear wheels? Is the anti-spin something I should get, I go to Colorado twice a year for a week in the summer and winter. I four wheel over some rocks about a foot high by a foot wide.

I can't seem to get a real good answer from the dealers in my area as to whether I need the 3.73 and anti-spin, but they order all there Jeeps with these two options.

Thanks for the help

Greg

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Greg, Welcome Aboard! :wavey:

The limited slip (DSA anti spin) works all the time regardless of whether the Jeep is in 2 or 4WD.
IMO get the 3.73. Won't make a big difference in mpg and depending on the hills you encounter would actually benefit.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
I am looking at purchasing my first Wrangler Unlimited, probably will have the dealer order it. I pull a small Uhaul trailer once a year and thinking of maybe buying a small pop up trailer in a couple years (maybe).

I can't decide if I really need the 3.73 rear axle or can stay with the standard axle. Does the 3.73 rear axle doing anything more than provide more low end torque and increase tow capacity to 3500lbs? Does it provide any benefit when four wheeling and does the MPG drop?

Also does the Anti-Spin differential keep the wheels from spinning only in four wheel drive mode or also in two wheel drive for the rear wheels? Is the anti-spin something I should get, I go to Colorado twice a year for a week in the summer and winter. I four wheel over some rocks about a foot high by a foot wide.

I can't seem to get a real good answer from the dealers in my area as to whether I need the 3.73 and anti-spin, but they order all there Jeeps with these two options.

Thanks for the help

Greg
There are a zillion threads and opinions on this.

Get them both....especially on 4 door that will take trips to CO.

Anti-Spin (Trac-Lok/LSD) is located in your rear pumpkin and is always on (2wd or 4wd)...but only impacts your rear axle.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I would certainly get the 3.73s and the limited slip on a 4 door as well.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Agreed, if you're planning on doing a lot of towing, get the 3.73s. And LSD is a no brainer at like $75 or whatever the option costs.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
I don't know where your area is at...but in my area....you had to look long and hard to find both 3.73's and LSD. Consider yourself lucky.

But I'm in the burbs....where we big ball and mall crawl. :punk: So I guess people don't care about that stuff.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got both on my 2012 Sport and it owns! Specially when ppl tells you the contrary and you own em with videos off roading with Non Traction tires. Yeap I use my baby mostly for comuting but on the weekends i love to go to my dads farm and off road with the tools trailer :) Its not for it to work... you want it to PERFORM BABY! Yeah!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Fyi . . .

I have a 2012 JKU with both 3.73's and LSD and am averaging 21 mpg city and 23+ highway. I say, get both!

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I guess I'm the odd man out. I hate the LSD option. It's expensive, only works about half as well as a "lunchbox" locker, and the clutches wear out after about 50K miles leaving you with little or no LSD at all. It also makes the differential more complicated, and requires an additional additive for fluid changes. What a waste of money....especially now that BLD is standard on all JKs.

The 3.73 gears are a must, however. They make all your trans. gears work in the engine's sweet spot and are better for all-around use.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Ummmm. details??? I'm 16 and 19 with 3.73s and ASD. Even at stock I was 16.5 and 19.5.
Not sure what kind of details you're looking for, but I'll give it a shot. I'm not heavy footed and, unless I'm running late, I usually travel no more than 60 MPH on freeways, allowing me to enjoy the ride instead of having to look out for the highway patrol. Being 66 years old, I have moved past the heavy footed, gotta go fast stage (been there, done that).

I also tend to shift into higher gears earlier than later. From a standing start, I find that once the JKU with 3.73's has begun rolling, I can shift into 2nd earlier without any bogging down as well as the remaining gears.

Staying a good distance behind the car in front of me also allows one to not have to use the brakes as often when they hit theirs. I just take my foot off the gas and coast until I have to use brakes. The only problem I found to this technique is that often times others will cut in front of you. Coasting as much as possible and, again, not using the brakes because I was going faster than necessary, extends MPG. Paying attention to the traffic and traffic lights helps to predict your speed and braking requirements.

Easy starts, slow stops also helps.

Yep, I'm an old fart, but I'm enjoying my Jeep my way!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Ummmm. details??? I'm 16 and 19 with 3.73s and ASD. Even at stock I was 16.5 and 19.5.
Not sure what kind of details you're looking for, but I'll give it a shot. I'm not heavy footed and, unless I'm running late, I usually travel no more than 60 MPH on freeways, allowing me to enjoy the ride instead of having to look out for the highway patrol. Being 66 years old, I have moved past the heavy footed, gotta go fast stage (been there, done that).

I also tend to shift into higher gears earlier than later. From a standing start, I find that once the JKU with 3.73's has begun rolling, I can shift into 2nd earlier without any bogging down as well as the remaining gears.

Staying a good distance behind the car in front of me also allows one to not have to use the brakes as often when they hit theirs. I just take my foot off the gas and coast until I have to use brakes. The only problem I found to this technique is that often times others will cut in front of you. Coasting as much as possible and, again, not using the brakes because I was going faster than necessary, extends MPG. Paying attention to the traffic and traffic lights helps to predict your speed and braking requirements.

By the way, my MPG is calculated, not from the LCD readout, although it is very close.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts

By the way, my MPG is calculated, not from the LCD readout, although it is very close.

Yup...that will do it. You basically hypermile, but on a more limited basis. Plus, having a stickshift helps...a LOT. 6th gear was made a hair long on the 2012/13 stick than on the pre-2012's....so 3.73's are a relly good match with the manual IMO.

That is pretty much how I drive my stick shift Integra around town. I coast so much (and the car is so light) that I finally changed my rear brakes and rotors a few months ago. That was the first time they have been changed (still have not done the fronts). The car is 14 years old.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Going too early into the lower gears (1-4) will work against you and you will use more gas (reset your average and check). Think of a bike: it's harder to pedal at first, then it's easy to pedal fast, then you're pedaling super fast but not going much faster. Same in the jeep, it has to get itself going, and under revving will work the engine harder which will use more gas (despite the revs being low). 5 and 6 on the other hand should be switched into as soon as possible and held until you absolutely must downshift.

This is based on my '12 2 door 6-speed w/ 3.73s

1 - 17 of 17 Posts