Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got stock 4:10 gears, already on the carrier. Can I just install them to my Dana 30 front and Dana 44 rear or is there anything else that needs to be changed?

·
Super Moderator
22,073 Posts
Spline count is different on axle shafts between rubi and non rubis. I agree with the above post not enough diff going to 4.10 vs 3.73's unless it is free or close to it. 3.21's yes 3.73 only if dirt cheap

·
Administrator
12,467 Posts
do you have the matching pinion gears as well.. If so and assuming they are the correct parts.. you will need install kits... and some tools to make sure the gears mesh correctly.. it is not a plug and play install.

·
Registered
907 Posts
You could just use the Ring and pinion gears on your carriers. As said if the gears and carriers you got came out of a Rubi the axle shafts are diff.

·
Registered
907 Posts
But then again bolt holes might be diff..doh...!

·
Super Moderator
22,073 Posts
But then again bolt holes might be diff..doh...!
I looked into this a few years ago and could find no feasible way to make rubi 4.10's work in a sport. Apparently it is near impossible to redrill the holes as so hard.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I looked into this a few years ago and could find no feasible way to make rubi 4.10's work in a sport. Apparently it is near impossible to redrill the holes as so hard.
It's because the ring gears are different diameters between the Dana 44 and Dana 30. The D44 ring gear is way too big to fit on the carrier, much less fit inside the case. And even if you could physically squeeze it into the carrier, it wouldn't line up with the pinion in the Dana 30, which would have a different gear pattern that wouldn't mesh with the ring gear. And good luck trying to fit a Dana 44 pinion into a Dana 30.

Bottom line, if you want to change gear ratios in your axle, you need to get a matched ring and pinion gear set that is designed to fit in the axle you're trying to upgrade. And that matching has to include the gear ratio. You can't use a 4.10 ring gear with a 3.73 pinion gear any more than you can squeeze a Dana 44 pinion into a Dana 30 housing. They just don't fit.

Beyond that, trying to reuse gears that were in another axle is not a good idea. Getting them to mesh together correctly is substantially harder after they've been run in another axle, to the point where installers never warranty their work installing used gears.

If you're going to change the gears in your Jeep, spend the few extra dollars getting a set of new gears. Compared to the rest of the install, the added cost for new gears is trivial.

Oh, and don't bother changing from 3.73 to 4.10. The change between them is hardly enough to notice. If you're going to upgrade from 3.73's, go with 4.56's or don't upgrade at all.

·
RETIRED MODERATER
36,003 Posts
It's because the ring gears are different diameters between the Dana 44 and Dana 30. The D44 ring gear is way too big to fit on the carrier, much less fit inside the case. And even if you could physically squeeze it into the carrier, it wouldn't line up with the pinion in the Dana 30, which would have a different gear pattern that wouldn't mesh with the ring gear. And good luck trying to fit a Dana 44 pinion into a Dana 30.

Bottom line, if you want to change gear ratios in your axle, you need to get a matched ring and pinion gear set that is designed to fit in the axle you're trying to upgrade. And that matching has to include the gear ratio. You can't use a 4.10 ring gear with a 3.73 pinion gear any more than you can squeeze a Dana 44 pinion into a Dana 30 housing. They just don't fit.

Beyond that, trying to reuse gears that were in another axle is not a good idea. Getting them to mesh together correctly is substantially harder after they've been run in another axle, to the point where installers never warranty their work installing used gears.

If you're going to change the gears in your Jeep, spend the few extra dollars getting a set of new gears. Compared to the rest of the install, the added cost for new gears is trivial.

Oh, and don't bother changing from 3.73 to 4.10. The change between them is hardly enough to notice. If you're going to upgrade from 3.73's, go with 4.56's or don't upgrade at all.
^^^ View attachment 2302913

^^^What derf said.......:thumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts