Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am ordering an Sahara Unlimited. The one thing I know I will be doing (once I find a set for sale) is switching out the wheels with Rubicon or Willys. Knowing that would it be best to add the 3.73 axle?

·
Registered
384 Posts
My jku has manual 373, my wife's has auto 321. Just ordered my 15 jku with 373 again. I would never get another one with 321 unless you plan on doing 90mph on the highway

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
If I would have gotten a 2 door auto, I would have been happy with 3.21's. But on a 4 door or stick, get the 3.73's.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
My jku has manual 373, my wife's has auto 321. Just ordered my 15 jku with 373 again. I would never get another one with 321 unless you plan on doing 90mph on the highway
I have a 2015 Sahara JKU with 3.73s. This weekend on a road trip I found myself cruising at 85 - 90 mph with no issues.........I still have the stock 18 inch tires if that makes a difference? What is the reason 3.21s would be better for this driving speed? Better gas mileage? I'm a NewB so I have no clue. Please let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I have a 2015 Sahara JKU with 3.73s. This weekend on a road trip I found myself cruising at 85 - 90 mph with no issues.........I still have the stock 18 inch tires if that makes a difference? What is the reason 3.21s would be better for this driving speed? Better gas mileage? I'm a NewB so I have no clue. Please let me know. Thanks
Better gas mileage but you sacrifice on performance, especially when going with larger tires and wheeling.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
3.21's are better on fuel, sure. you might get 15 as opposed to 14. my point is, MPG doesnt matter when you get a jeep, and if you cant afford to fill up 20 miles earlier, go buy a prius.

·
Registered
615 Posts
The ONLY reason 3.21's are even offered is because on paper it looks like they will get 1 more MPG to boost Jeeps CAFE requirements. Jeep really pushes the 3.21's for this reason.

In the real world if you drive on the interstate, on level ground, with no AC running, at or below the speed limit, you might actually see that 1 mpg difference. The way most people actually drive the 3.73's will give more power, and at best equal mileage and under many conditions get better mileage.

·
Registered
326 Posts
My 2012 Wrangler Sport has 3.21's and I really want to switch to 3.73's. Guess I need to find a complete kit and have it installed.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
3.21's are better on fuel, sure. you might get 15 as opposed to 14. my point is, MPG doesnt matter when you get a jeep, and if you cant afford to fill up 20 miles earlier, go buy a prius.
:mooning:

Concerned about gas mileage LOL I don't think anyone who is concerned about gas mileage would be spending $32k+ for a JKU Sahara no matter what it has. This is my 3rd Jeep I've owned (1st Wrangler) BUT it actually is getting better gas mileage than my Cherokee or Commander.

·
Registered
384 Posts
3.73 are actually better for city driving, less strain on the engine at lower speeds especially when you go up to 33". 4.10 gears are really not necessary unless you plan on going bigger like 35+

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Rubicon wheels are pretty easy to come by. They can usually be found on ebay. Often times a site out of Ohio (where Jeeps are made) will have them. Usually new take-offs that run between $1200 and $1400 shipped.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I've done over that with 3.73's and actually get the best gas mileage when I do. On three separate occasions I've opened her up for extended periods and averaged over 20 mpg. Normal driving gets me, at most, 18.5 on a good day. Apparently these 3.6L really enjoy high speeds. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts