Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was curious if I had limited slip differential? how to tell? does anybody recommend getting Tru Trac in the front? I have a Dana 35

·
Registered
304 Posts
spenserb said:
Was curious if I had limited slip differential? how to tell? does anybody recommend getting Tru Trac in the front? I have a Dana 35
My 3.73 LSD 35 has two tags on it. A larger one with the gear ratio and serial number and a smaller one that says limited diff lube only.

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
3:73 is only the ratio not the slip capabilities.

Jack the back and/or front end with both of the tires up off the ground.

Spin a tire, does the opposing tire move the exact same direction at the exact same time? If yes, then you have a locked POSI setup on there. If you spin say the drivers side forward and the passenger side rolls the opposite way, you have a limitied slip dif.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,627 Posts
...Jack the back and/or front end with both of the tires up off the ground.

Spin a tire, does the opposing tire move the exact same direction at the exact same time? If yes, then you have a locked POSI setup on there. If you spin say the drivers side forward and the passenger side rolls the opposite way, you have a limitied slip dif.
Clutch-based LSDs like the Tracloc that some Jeeps come with will spin the other tire the same direction when spinning a tire. And a "Posi" is actually a limited slip differential, not a locker. :)

·
Registered
304 Posts
spenserb said:
Thanks guys I was looking on my build sheet and didnt see anything about it...
Put a true trac in it. 400 bucks and It would be a good mod. Add a lunchbox locker up front for 250 and you would be amazed.

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
so do you guys recommend lockers or a LSD
Neither for stock Dana35. I'd keep it "Open" for the sake of reliability. But if you upgrade it to a Super Dana 35, then I would do the locker.

·
Registered
304 Posts
An LSD will be fine in your Dana 35. I put a locker in mine and its awesome on 33's.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey guys one more thing havent had a chance to get under jeep, does the towing package have anything to do with the differential set up. Thanks again

·
Registered
372 Posts
There is a thread in here that gives you the email address to get your build sheet from mopar. They will tell you what came from the factory and they typically respond in 24-48 hours. This way you can be sure. Just search build sheet.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I already have the build sheet. I know my gears 3.73. Will it actually say LSD on build sheet somewhere.

·
Registered
304 Posts
spenserb said:
I already have the build sheet. I know my gears 3.73. Will it actually say LSD on build sheet somewhere.
Yea it would say 3.73 trac loc if you had an LSD.

·
Registered
598 Posts
You can also look at the Differential Tags. There should be one that says "Use LSD Fluid" or something like that

1 - 17 of 17 Posts