Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the 2013JKU Sport, what is the benefit of this option, over the 3.21? Also, Anti-Spin Diff would/should help controlling rear tire spin in winter weather. Anything else? Both seem like minimal cost options (both total $500), if not manually upgraded in the future. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
449 Posts
3.73 allows you to run bigger tires and revs higher at speed than 3.21. If you plan on wheeling get the 3.73. LSD is a no brainer. Get it.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Get 3.73s no matter what. The 3.21s are not appropriate for a JKU and do not net better mileage in the real world. All they do is lug the motor, reduce your acceleration, reduce your tow rating from 3500 to 2000 lbs, and kill any future tire upgrades that you may want to do. Re-gearing them afterwords costs $1-2k.

LSD is up to you. It's not really necessary, but it does help out on the road in slippery conditions. It adds additional maintenance cost because it is a clutch-type LSD. The traction control system does work well and we have a computer-controlled brake lock differential for off-road purposes.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Get the 3.73. I got the 3.21, (very stock sport, no power anything) now I'm looking at spending about $2000 parts and labor in a couple years instead of the $100 option price at the dealership.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Get the 4:10 my dealer gave it to me as a free upgrade. I believe in the JK if you get the manual then it comes with the 4:10 in auto they drop it down to the 3:73 to keep your gas mileage up. The 4:10 will support tire size up to 37 without any gear change.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Get the 4:10 my dealer gave it to me as a free upgrade. I believe in the JK if you get the manual then it comes with the 4:10 in auto they drop it down to the 3:73 to keep your gas mileage up. The 4:10 will support tire size up to 37 without any gear change.
you can't upgrade to a 4.10 on a sport only up to 3.73

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sport has 3.21, or 3.73 that I can see. The 3.73 is offered as single option or part of the Max Tow package. So I would benefit from better gas mileage and "easier" modifications (bigger tires, etc...) at a later date. Correct? Thanks again.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Sport has 3.21, or 3.73 that I can see. The 3.73 is offered as single option or part of the Max Tow package. So I would benefit from better gas mileage and "easier" modifications (bigger tires, etc...) at a later date. Correct? Thanks again.
You would get better gas mileage with the 3.21 just keeping your stock tires and all but yes if you get larger tires it is more beneficial to get the 3.73 gears. You will notice the difference on the highway. If your going up a hill (depending on size) you could keep it in 6th with the 3.73 but if you have the 3.21 you may need to downshift to 5th as the larger tires will be bogging you down a bit. Also you will get more torque out of the 3.73

Its really a no brainer I would say get the 3.73 you don't want to spend the major dollars it cost's to upgrade at a later date. Also get the limited slip if you are getting the sport s package. I didn't get the s package so i wasn't able to grab the limited slip diff but i did upgrade to a 3.73. I wanted to keep my jeep base without a lot of the fancy stuff. I ended up paying under 20k before taxes/fee's etc. Yes it's real nice to have a rubi but if it's not being used the way it should be is it really worth spending an extra 14k just to say you are in the "rubi club" haha:D

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Since you have a heavier 4 door, get the 3.73's. It will up your tow rating to 3500 pounds.

If you live someplace that has a lot of rain or snow (and won't be doing serious off-roading), get Anti-spin as well unless you plan on getting an aftermarket LSD.

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts
Since you have a heavier 4 door, get the 3.73's. It will up your tow rating to 3500 pounds.

If you live someplace that has a lot of rain or snow (and won't be doing serious off-roading), get Anti-spin as well unless you plan on getting an aftermarket LSD.
^^ not going to get much better advice than that. :thumb:

if you know you're going to open the axles up, throw bigger gears and a locker in there.. then sure it's a waste of money i suppose..

BUT... if that's probably not going to happen for a year or two - the 3.73 gear ratio gives you a little pep when you accelerate, makes towing anything that much easier, will make adding 33s or 35s a little less painful... and well LSD/BLD shouldn't be an option in my opinion. all RWD vehicles should have it. :whistling:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts