Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to buy a new JK "S", I plan on putting 33's on it, my commute is almost 40 miles each way all highway, once in a while mild off-roading, I'm not against ordering my Jeep with 3.73's but I might be able to score a better deal on one thats already on a dealer's lot with 3.21's...Question is, should I order with the 3.73's or just go 3.21?

Ryan

·
Registered
710 Posts
I have 33s and use to drive 60miles a day, rode great afyer i us

·
Registered
710 Posts
I have 33s and use to drive 60miles a day, rode great afyer i used yhe procal. U gna wheel a to or is it your DD?

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Tough call...
You can get by with 3.21's and 33's...especially on a 2-door, but 3.73's would be better. Stick or auto?

I'd probably order. If you already plan on going with bigger wheels....you may end up with more mods down the road.

·
Registered
413 Posts
You could have the dealer do a search for other local dealers that might have an in stock unit with the 3:73's already on it. That is what my dealer did and I got the exact Jeep I wanted with the 3:73's, There were other options I wanted also so it made it slightly more difficult but if all your looking for is the 3:73's it should be pretty straight forward with their dealer networks.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its going to be an auto, daily driver, planning 33's and 15" wheels.....As for more mods, maybe a 2.5" lift, aftermarket bumpers etc, but off roading will be limited to once a month on pretty easy trails...(I'm in a wheelchair for a while recovering from a bike accident so I do have time to order) just wondering if its worth it or more worth possibly saving a few $$ and getting better mpg

Ryan

·
Registered
260 Posts
3.73 also opens up better "ableit still limited" towing options. I spent months looking until I found a Jeep with everything I wanted and a 3.73. Next time "a long way off with any luck", I'll order. The dealers have a ton of 3.21's. It was hard to find a 3.73 with what I wanted locally.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
3.73s. PLEASE. Got a great deal on my 3.21s- and I kick myself daily. And the re-gear will suck back $1500 of my "deal".
There are a gazillion threads on the driving difference and even more opinions. But bottom line the option is $50- and you can wait. I've said it before- think of it as insurance against the Jeep mod. bug.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Well, if ordering and actually concerned I would be getting 4.10s. The 4.10s are great with the stock tires, and I am already concerned about switching to 35s. I don't think there is any chance in hell that 3.21s would be close to satisfactory, and I am sure that 3.73s are frustrating if you are upsizing your tires.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If gas mileage is a concern go with the 3.21:punk:

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have a 12 2 dr. Sport auto with 3.73 with track lock. I looked for some time before I found the gears and track lock without ordering. I drive 52 miles round trip to work and am getting around 20 mpg. Do yourself a favor and put the Rancho RS 9000 XL adjustable shocks on they made a world of difference in the ride quality. There a little costly but worth every bit adjust the settings for what ever road/trail conditions you are driving on.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
According to the poll 89% of 2012+ 3.21 owners are happy with it. OP sounds like you need 3.21 for the better fuel economy. 3.21 with the auto is very capable of 33" tires. Go drive one with the auto and 3.21 and give it a good run you will be surprised how quick it is . For a Jeep the 3.6 is the best thing since sliced bread. My old cj7 with a 304 v8 didnt make this much power and dam sure didnt run or ride this smooth. My 2 cents if you think you may go bigger than 33" some day then sure 3.73 but if you are primarily using this as a DD and will only go 33" the 3.21 is a great set up.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/3-21-rear-axle-ratio-192437.html

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
For an auto the 3.21s will be fine. If you want a manual trans 3.73s are the way to go. The Jeep I test drove had 3.21s and 6 speed. I knew we would be happier with 3.73s and larger tires. After driving it for a year the 3.73s were a great investment, although it's 4 times the investment now.

·
Registered
16,641 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
According to the poll 89% of 2012+ 3.21 owners are happy with it. OP sounds like you need 3.21 for the better fuel economy. 3.21 with the auto is very capable of 33" tires. Go drive one with the auto and 3.21 and give it a good run you will be surprised how quick it is . For a Jeep the 3.6 is the best thing since sliced bread. My old cj7 with a 304 v8 didnt make this much power and dam sure didnt run or ride this smooth. My 2 cents if you think you may go bigger than 33" some day then sure 3.73 but if you are primarily using this as a DD and will only go 33" the 3.21 is a great set up.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/3-21-rear-axle-ratio-192437.html

The difference in fuel economy between 3.73 and 3.21 is negligable and well worth the extra little bit of money you'll spend. To the OP..... if you're ordering, you may as well get the 3.73's you won't ever regret it but you may regret the 3.21's at one point

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I had a 2012 auto with 3.21's. Don't do it. I ended up with 4.10's which are perfect. Spend the extra time & order the 3.73's if your dealer can't find one locally.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts