Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, I am looking at buying a set of new wheels and tires for my Jeep. I like the 15" MB TKO. Tires are 33x12.5. The 15" wheels have 3.75" backspace. I know this will make the tires likely stick out about an inch past the fenders. Other than dirt and mud be flung up on the side of the Jeep, are there any other problems that I would encounter with this setup? This is a 2012 JKUR COD with stock, non-trimmed fenders and currently stock suspension. I plan to eventually get a 2 1/2" lift.

·
Registered
313 Posts
kramer2k said:
My 15" Black Rock Vipers also have 3.75" backspacing. You won't have any issues with them. Like you mentioned, the only slight downside is about .75" more rubber is sticking out past the fender than a more traditional 4.5" backspaced wheel.
Can you send detailed pictures ? I was thinking the vipers and was worried about how far they do actually stick out .. and an exeact measurement how far they stick out please :)

·
Registered
928 Posts
Puts more stress on the front axle, you can get a ticket in some states to have the tires extend beyond the fenders.
For all the money you spend on a new Jeep I do not see the point in putting wheels with the wrong offset on just to save a couple hundred dollars. Get a quality 17" wheel that is a reasonable offset and hubcentric like the wheels from AEV.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Can you send detailed pictures ? I was thinking the vipers and was worried about how far they do actually stick out .. and an exeact measurement how far they stick out please :)
I'm not going to be able to give you an exact measurement, but these pictures may give you an idea on the look.

I'm installing Bushwacker flat flares this weekend, so this look only lasts a few more days. :D

The front tires are turned in the picture.

My build thread with tons of other pics: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/kramer2ks-build-thread-191626.html

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
A minor gripe.. but one thing I don't like is that you can't get close to drive thru windows/ATMs anymore. So you really have to reach.

And yes, the sides of the Jeep are constanstly dirty now. But it does look nice and in rutted trails it keeps your fenders from damage.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
A minor gripe.. but one thing I don't like is that you can't get close to drive thru windows/ATMs anymore. So you really have to reach.

And yes, the sides of the Jeep are constanstly dirty now. But it does look nice and in rutted trails it keeps your fenders from damage.
My problem isn't getting close to windows, it's being too high. LOL At the ATM I have to opne my door to reach low enough to grab my cash or deposit checks or cash. Oh the burdens we bear to lift our Jeeps. :p

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MacCTD said:
Puts more stress on the front axle, you can get a ticket in some states to have the tires extend beyond the fenders.
For all the money you spend on a new Jeep I do not see the point in putting wheels with the wrong offset on just to save a couple hundred dollars. Get a quality 17" wheel that is a reasonable offset and hubcentric like the wheels from AEV.
I live in the south of Florida, big truck and rigs with even bigger wheels. I am not really worried about ticketing here. Plus I actually may eventually get Bushwhacker fender flares. The comment about increased stress on the axel? Really? Any other arguments for 17" vs 15"? I mean I have 17" stockers now. It seems that in general, you are just paying more for tires plus have less sidewall protecting your wheels. Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
MacCTD is technically correct about putting more stress on the axles, but unless someone can quantify the difference, I let that one pass right on by without a second thought. The amount of stress on a component with such a small amount of increased backspacing is likely miniscule on the axle as a whole.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts