Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Supercharged and towing are not a commonly associated with jeep but here we go....

I have a 2008 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara with the astounding 3.8L engine.
Jeep is lifted with 35" tires, 4.88 gears, eaton e-lockers and has 155k miles (pic attached)

I bought the jeep with 120k and it has been a great vehicle but it is evident that there is work done that I do not know about. I have some discretionary funds and I want to be able to tow my 3,550 lb boat up a hill and still be able to wheel poison spider.

I have searched some threads and read conversations about the ripp super charges, turbos and every bodies advice to just trade the jeep in for the much more powerful 3.6 penta's. (https://rippmods.com/products/2007-2011-jeep-wrangler-supercharger-system-black-ops-edition)

My problem is the net difference for my jeep I would pay (atleast $15k) so I have a few questions:

What is a fair price to pay for a ripp supercharger with cooler, tuner, all hardware, etc.?

Is the magnuson worth so much more then the ripp? Any other good options?

With 150k miles on my jeep, am I foolish to install the SC or should I get my engine rebuilt (and stroked out?) and then install the SC?

Is there enough room for a trans cooler AND sc air cooler?

Any other tid bits would be appreciated. Watching the ripp install video, I should be able to handle the install and would be willing to document it for your time on giving me advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
For what you already have done the 3.6 is not an upgrade for you. It's not that much more powerful. The biggest difference between the 2 has always been the transmissions.
A RIPP supercharger on the 3.8 will put you well beyond the power of a 3.6.
One of my Club meme era has had a RIPP on his 2010 since 2011 and regularly pulls an enclosed work trailer with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Does that 3550 lbs include the trailer? Even so, you're right at the load limit. Something to consider before making any investments.

·
Super Moderator
7,626 Posts
Does that 3550 lbs include the trailer? Even so, you're right at the load limit. Something to consider before making any investments.
That and the miles on the engine now are another factor. I'd probably rebuild the engine while I was at it. Or if money wasn't a factor, [wishful thinking for me] scrap the Ripp idea and go for a V8 and transmission upgrade.

·
Super Moderator
7,626 Posts
Here we go...

Pulling is one thing, STOPPING is a completely different animal! Just because I have the power/torque doesn't mean I can safely stop...especially in an emergency!
Exactly what I was thinking, only I failed to post it.

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
Here we go...

Pulling is one thing, STOPPING is a completely different animal! Just because I have the power/torque doesn't mean I can safely stop...especially in an emergency!
Unless you have trailer brakes. I pull a 20ft skiboat with an 360hp inboard V8 with surge brakes on the trailer and a 28ft center console offshore fishing boat with twin 250hp outboards with electric brakes. Not with my Jeep of course but with my Ram 1500. Both barely add to my stopping when set up correctly and I can set the electric brakes on my offshore boat to drag down the truck to a stop. Now an absolute lock them up emergency stop will be affected no matter what you are towing with.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This does not include the trailer. The trailer is probably around 500 lbs. The trailer does have surge breaks that work well. The braking feels adequate but I'll need to maintain the pads for sure.

Here we go...

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That was my first thought but by the time I rebuild the engine and supercharge it i am getting close to a entire engine upgrade. I am thinking about checking compression, taking an oil sample to check for wear metals, and checking oil pressure and going from there. Either way I will need more power...and a transmission cooler...and a gusset on my dana 30 front axle...

That and the miles on the engine now are another factor. I'd probably rebuild the engine while I was at it. Or if money wasn't a factor, [wishful thinking for me] scrap the Ripp idea and go for a V8 and transmission upgrade.

·
Super Moderator
7,626 Posts
That was my first thought but by the time I rebuild the engine and supercharge it i am getting close to a entire engine upgrade. I am thinking about checking compression, taking an oil sample to check for wear metals, and checking oil pressure and going from there. Either way I will need more power...and a transmission cooler...and a gusset on my dana 30 front axle...
Keep us posted, I'd be interested in your final decision.

·
Registered
280 Posts
this is highly prudent information; there's nothing inherently wrong with the 3.8l motor but mated to the arwful 42rle auto it's just barely able to do more than crawl along , literally.

The JKs are now getting long in tooth and we are seeing some exceed 200k but , higher mileage on them demands what you've run off here : send Blackstone labs a sample to diagnose, have full compression tests , I'd go ahead and swap head gaskets and maybe look at the cam and lifters , a great cleaning of the extremely high tolerances passages and certainly don't forget if it's an auto that torque converter and also your brakes will be beneficial to go over.
All that and the install is why I'm just saving for a bloody LS engine but many folks looove thier super chargers and run them reliably. Good luck and update with pix whatever you do ; )

·
Super Moderator
9,574 Posts
So the boat is 3550# and the trailer is ANOTHER 550#!? So 4100 pounds PLUS incidentals ?! Buy a REAL tow vehicle, then you have the option to tow your boat safely and trailer your Jeep to Moab. What elevation do you live at? What grade hills do you see?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Correct, I even have 6 life jackets so add in another pound.

I do have a real tow vehicle that puts out around 765 ft-lbs of torque. This vehicle tows my travel trailer and my Jeep tows my boat to the lake. We have been going there for 2 years so towing is not anything new to the jeep. Elevation is around 5,000 feet and there is only 1 hill to the lake that has any measurable grade, probably 4 degrees.

I know I am pushing the envelope on weight so I am working on modifying the jeep to accommodate as necessary. I am a mechanical engineer and I cannot settle on just buying something new. The lower gears helped out alot and I agree on the oil samples to ascertain the condition of the motor. For all I know it was rebuilt 30k ago...

The light side is I don't think I will trash the super charger if I fail the engine being belt drive so if its bound to happen...

So the boat is 3550# and the trailer is ANOTHER 550#!? So 4100 pounds PLUS incidentals ?! Buy a REAL tow vehicle, then you have the option to tow your boat safely and trailer your Jeep to Moab. What elevation do you live at? What grade hills do you see?

·
Super Moderator
9,574 Posts
Correct, I even have 6 life jackets so add in another pound. I do have a real tow vehicle that puts out around 765 ft-lbs of torque. This vehicle tows my travel trailer and my Jeep tows my boat to the lake. We have been going there for 2 years so towing is not anything new to the jeep. Elevation is around 5,000 feet and there is only 1 hill to the lake that has any measurable grade, probably 4 degrees. I know I am pushing the envelope on weight so I am working on modifying the jeep to accommodate as necessary. I am a mechanical engineer and I cannot settle on just buying something new. The lower gears helped out alot and I agree on the oil samples to ascertain the condition of the motor. For all I know it was rebuilt 30k ago... The light side is I don't think I will trash the super charger if I fail the engine being belt drive so if its bound to happen...
Well, The problem is obvious...you just have to many toys. ;) Is the travel trailer a 5th wheel? If it is you could pull the boat behind it. I think your Jeep transmission will be on borrowed time, if you pull that kinda weight more or less regularly.

I think the. LS and tranny swap would be the ideal solution. You'd have more power and a substantial transmission to wheel or pull with. You could rebuild the new (LS) tranny with a triple disc torque converter and that would make your transmission practically bullet proof.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Correct, I even have 6 life jackets so add in another pound. I do have a real tow vehicle that puts out around 765 ft-lbs of torque. This vehicle tows my travel trailer and my Jeep tows my boat to the lake. We have been going there for 2 years so towing is not anything new to the jeep. Elevation is around 5,000 feet and there is only 1 hill to the lake that has any measurable grade, probably 4 degrees. I know I am pushing the envelope on weight so I am working on modifying the jeep to accommodate as necessary. I am a mechanical engineer and I cannot settle on just buying something new. The lower gears helped out alot and I agree on the oil samples to ascertain the condition of the motor. For all I know it was rebuilt 30k ago... The light side is I don't think I will trash the super charger if I fail the engine being belt drive so if its bound to happen...
Well, The problem is obvious...you just have to many toys.
Is the travel trailer a 5th wheel? If it is you could pull the boat behind it. I think your Jeep transmission will be on borrowed time, if you pull that kinda weight more or less regularly.

I think the. LS and tranny swap would be the ideal solution. You'd have more power and a substantial transmission to wheel or pull with. You could rebuild the new (LS) tranny with a triple disc torque converter and that would make your transmission practically bullet proof.
Haha. Yeah, I thought about trading in my travel trailer for a 5th wheel and haul both and that would be ideal but that would be more money then this and I wouldn't mind some extra uumph on the jeep.

Is there a website or shop that specializes in the ls swaps? That is beyond my skill set without a doubt! It wouldn't hurt to get a price. I have always been told around $15k which would be too damn much $ for me.

·
Super Moderator
9,574 Posts
Haha. Yeah, I thought about trading in my travel trailer for a 5th wheel and haul both and that would be ideal but that would be more money then this and I wouldn't mind some extra uumph on the jeep. Is there a website or shop that specializes in the ls swaps? That is beyond my skill set without a doubt! It wouldn't hurt to get a price. I have always been told around $15k which would be too damn much $ for me.
Pm me with your number, I'll give you a call.
John

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just wanted to give an update on my project.

I talked to a local shop and they recommended the sprintex supercharger based off of the low rpm torque curves and the price they were able to offer me. I had the SC installed but ran into low compression issues with my engine. Not overly enthused but it is what it is and it was a risk when I started this project. Cylinder number 3 had really fouled up plugs and only 60 psi on a compression test.

They were able to quote a high output 3.8 engine and offered me a deal to upgrade my engine.
3.8 HO 240hp Performance Engine Kit

Performance wise I am estimating going from 202 hp to 306 hp and 237 ft-lb to 334 ft-lb all at the crank. Cost will be around $10.5k. Worth it? It better be.

So...I should be getting the jeep back with a new and upgraded heart but man I was reminded what "JEEP" really stands for.

·
Super Moderator
9,574 Posts
I just wanted to give an update on my project. I talked to a local shop and they recommended the sprintex supercharger based off of the low rpm torque curves and the price they were able to offer me. I had the SC installed but ran into low compression issues with my engine. Not overly enthused but it is what it is and it was a risk when I started this project. Cylinder number 3 had really fouled up plugs and only 60 psi on a compression test. They were able to quote a high output 3.8 engine and offered me a deal to upgrade my engine. 3.8 HO 240hp Performance Engine Kit Performance wise I am estimating going from 202 hp to 306 hp and 237 ft-lb to 334 ft-lb all at the crank. Cost will be around $10.5k. Worth it? It better be. So...I should be getting the jeep back with a new and upgraded heart but man I was reminded what "JEEP" really stands for.
I just realized you sent me a pm. I'll call you today. Hemi conversion around that....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts