Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading the threads here about the Oil Consumption in the 3.8L engines, I got to searching on line and what I find is several guys changing their PCV valves and finding that this didn't help....
So if this problem is attributed to Piston Rings being installed upside down...
I was wondering if anyone here that has this problem has installed a fresh set of rings, and if so, Did it Fix the problem ??
Did you find any Cylinder Bore Scoring ????
I have had the "Silver Box" for a couple months and in that time I haven't put too many miles on it....I have to look and see what was on it when I bought it.So far I have added 1 quart of 5W-20....Yes, I may change to 5X-30 Syn. but I hate to blow the Syn oil out the pipes.....
It's a D/D but I have taken it in the woods a few time and plan to do a lot this summer.
Looking for a set of piston rings I find em for around $80.00 and a gasket set for another $80.00... Shouldn;t be that big of a deal to just replace the rings and put it back together....(I have done lots of engines before and have a shop to work in )....
Strange that I don't see any Oil smoke and people following me don't notice it smoking either...I have to pass a DEQ exhaust check before I can get new tags next year, I'm sure the "sniffer" will find the oil.....
07- JKUX, build date of Oct 06....37K miles , 6spd.
Thanks ! "BH" :popcorn:

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Do a full out test of the current engine first. Compression test, leakdown test and possibly oil analysis, before you start doing repairs based on web diagnosis.

Bob K.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Given that the oil was on the full mark when you bought it, it's difficult to answer your concerns without knowing how many miles until you added a qt. It seems like you have a lot of experience with engines so you know that you're probably not going to see any blue smoke out of the tail pipe and most likely you will pass any type of motor vehicle inspection. It seems like the cat takes care of that. I would go to 5w30 before you do anything else.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Switch to 5W30. I see next to nothing for oil consumption since the switch from 5W20. I used to burn 2-2.5 quarts every 3000miles/5000km's between changes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts