Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. Why would I potentially be replacing my 2nd EGR valve in my 2010 sport at 84k miles. Besides rear wheel speed sensors, this is the only issue I've had on this rig since new.
My mechanic buddy says that these 3.8s are just crap, and the 3.6s are worse, but he hates Chrysler to begin with.- Everyone has a manufacturer that they hate.
I understand that the valve can be cleaned, but with it being such a pain in the ass to change, I'd just replace it.. $100 is $100 until you have to fix it 3x.
Anyone?? Anyone?? Bueller?? Bueller?? Why would I be doing my 3rd EGR valve?

·
Registered
548 Posts
I’m on my third too, with the same mileage as you. The OE one lasted about 75k. The aftermarket one lasted about 7k and now I’m on the second aftermarket one. I suspect the quality of those is not as good as OE. The auto parts store replaced it for free, but the job is such a PITA that id rather pay double for a MOPAR one if it would go another 75k.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I too have a 2010 sport. What causes the EGR to go bad and what are the signs? thankyou

·
Registered
85 Posts
Other then the light being on does the Jeep run bad? I have my EGR bypassed and the Jeep runs the same or better and my intake stays clean. The CEL for the EGR is always on but no big deal for me.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Other then the light being on does the Jeep run bad? I have my EGR bypassed and the Jeep runs the same or better and my intake stays clean. The CEL for the EGR is always on but no big deal for me.
I didn’t notice any performance issues. Just the light was annoying and, more consequentially, you can’t pass emissions which is necessary to renew the registration in California.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a 2008 and replaced my EGR around 50k with and after market. Lasted less than a year and light was on again. Replaced free under warranty, lasted about 6 months again. Ran ok, maybe effected milage a little. But the CEL light was on and REALLY annoyed me. Plus not remote start in winter. At 80k bit the bullet and put in a OE EGR from Rockauto for $160 I believe. Dealer over $250 same item! Like someone else said, they are a pain in the butt and I didn’t want to change another after market one in less than a year. Hope this one last years!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Looked up that code in service info and gets set when the position sensor in the egr is different than what is commanded. The causes can be wiring but generally the egr valve. Are you using Mopars?

·
Registered
951 Posts
EGR likes high rpms, its when the valve is open and EG are recirculated in higher volume.
At lower rpm the valve barely opens and collects carbon faster.
Depending on gas quality it may require cleaming after only 10-15K.
85K on 2 EGRs - not bad imo.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Wow. 3.8 & and an 07. 140k miles. Factory EGR.

Make sure the rest of your systems are in order - plugs, wires, PCV, throttle body, etc. Run some cleaner (like Techron) from time to time. How is your oil burn?

sent via cone of silence

1 - 12 of 12 Posts