Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to eliminate rub of my 31 tires. I am not looking to get a suspension lift because of the redicules price so i am wondering if getting a 3 inch zone body lift will do the job. And what are the pros and cons of body lifts?

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I am trying to eliminate rub of my 31 tires. I am not looking to get a suspension lift because of the redicules price so i am wondering if getting a 3 inch zone body lift will do the job. And what are the pros and cons of body lifts?
The biggest problem for me with large body lifts is the fact that you are lengthening the body mount bolts and makes them susceptible to shearing in an accident. You also have to adjust many linkages and extend breathers and hoses. In my mind 3" BL's look terrible on a Jeep because of the huge gaps between the Tub and the Frame.

If I were you I would save up for a 2" Suspension lift and a 1"-1.25" BL to clear the tires.

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
They are unsafe, harder to install than a suspension lift (more of a pain actually) and don't look good. Why don't you try a 2 inch budget boost and 1 inch body lift? should be around 350 for it all. I haven't looked at prices for BBs in a long time though. You can commonly find them used.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
my wife's yj has a 3 inch body lift with 31's and does great..most people on here seem to not like big body lifts but it doesn't effect the geometry of your driveline and also keeps the floorboards from getting hot

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
a 1" body lift will do the job- if the tires are rubbing on the steel of the fenders.

if the tires are rubbing the fender flares, thats normal. get wider flares, take the flares off or trim them.

if the tires are rubbing the control arms when turning, then you need to adjust your steering stops.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
3" body lift will make your Jeep look funny. A 1" Body Lift or a 2" Budget Boost would be better/simple options as they are only about $100.

Like this BB: http://www.4wheelcustoms.com/ProductDetail.asp?ID=158263

·
Knows a couple things...
49,135 Posts
31" tires won't normally rub except when turning the steering wheel all the way which positions the tire's inside sidewall against a control arm. Really, all you should need to do to cure that is to just add a washer under each of the two steering stop limit bolts screwed into the steering knuckles. Takes 2-3 minutes per side max.

After all, the Rubicon comes with 31" tires stock from the factory and it has the same suspension lift height as a standard TJ does. :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
2" coil spacers from Crown Automotive, 1.25" body lift w/upgraded grade 8 hardware. Running 33x12.50's on wheels with 3.75" backspacing. No rubbing from tires. Got such a good deal on the tires I couldn't pass it up. It's a temporary fix until I finish piecing together my 4" lift.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Yeah either way i just called a shop and they sais they want 1000 for installation
You can do a 1.25bl, a mml, and a 2"bb in less than a day with simple hand tools

·
Registered
99 Posts
BulldawgJeepin said:
2" coil spacers from Crown Automotive, 1.25" body lift w/upgraded grade 8 hardware. Running 33x12.50's on wheels with 3.75" backspacing. No rubbing from tires. Got such a good deal on the tires I couldn't pass it up. It's a temporary fix until I finish piecing together my 4" lift.

ForumRunner_20121113_153534.jpg

Sorry, forgot the photo...:banghead:

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
getalildirty said:
How are your 31"s rubbing?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When i crank the wheel all the way left or right u hear the tire scraping against something and it really sounds terrible. I am not sure exactly what there rubbing against.

I called 2 places one which specializes in 4x4s said they dont install body lifts anymore and the other one said itll cost me 800-1000 to install because they have the brake the bolts.

I am definitley not considering doing a body lift after this thread haha.

If the budget boost is the cheapest easiest way to stop the rub i will do that

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
getalildirty said:
When i crank the wheel all the way left or right u hear the tire scraping against something and it really sounds terrible. I am not sure exactly what there rubbing against.

I called 2 places one which specializes in 4x4s said they dont install body lifts anymore and the other one said itll cost me 800-1000 to install because they have the brake the bolts.

Add some washers to your steering stops. And an 1.25" body lift doesn't hurt anything. For the right person it actually does some good. But sounds like you need to add some washers to your steering stops. Easy fix for under $5

·
Registered
3,171 Posts

1. What wheels do you have...pic? Depending on what wheels you have you might have to install washers at the steering stops, get new rims, or wheel spacers and no amount of lift will fix that, its a backspacing issue.
2. breaking the bolts :nonono:
3. A mild bl is ok 1-1.25"

1 - 20 of 40 Posts