Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure that this has probably been asked before, but if I were to install a 3 inch body lift onto a STOCK TJ, would I need to do anything extra with the suspension? SYE, motor lift, etc

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm not sure but I think you would need other mods to make this run correctly but I have to say it is not advisable. Not only will a 3" body lift look bad but IMHO is not safe.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I test drove a 2000 TJ last week that had a 3 inch body lift. I didn't take it off road, but it handled pretty well on the street.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Only things you have to deal with for a body lift are anything mounted on both the frame and body. Think fuel filler hose, radiator, etc. They don't effect suspension in any way. As for safety according to physics and personal anecdotes they are safe, but personally I don't like the idea of the weight of the tub resting on 8 bolts during an accident, even if they are grade 8. Also the vast majority of jeepers hate them. Huge gap between the frame and the tub is fugly, plus they offer almost nothing to the offroading world outside of clearance and a PITA to install/uninstall. Prepare for tempers to flare and have the whole chorus scream no no no atcha

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
A 3" body lift will mean you have to take out the center console in order to shift gears if you have a manual, no matter what you have you will have to switch to a Novak shift cable for your transfer case or it wont shift and you'll be in 4-hi forever. Also you'll have to either make a drop bracket for your radiator or find a way to lift your engine at lest 2 1/2" to get your fan back in the shroud. Oh, and dont forget the steering linkage, you'll need to cut the firewall so the steering shaft can change angles enough so you can steer without immediately snapping it off (it will snap eventually though).

Now, it's unsafe, period, think about this, your adding a 3" balancing point to your tub, take a huge heavy slab of steel, place it on 4 1" thick washers and try to knock it over, probably you cant, or at least it will be difficult, now put it on 3" thick washers and push, takes nothing to knock that over. Imagine you slide on a wet street, or snow, or ice depending where you live and slide sideways up against a curb, the tub is going to come off the frame and your Jeep will be seriously messed up and highly expensive to fix, your much better off spending literally just a few dollars more and getting the Zone 4.25" combo lift or the RC 3.25" lift, they are both extremely affordable starting points for lifting your Jeep, you'll be happier and your Jeep (and maybe even you) will live longer.

·
Registered
600 Posts
what everyone else said.

my 2in BB w/new shocks around $200
im putting on a 1.25 BL today. $90

that's how I got my 3in. if I had the cash I would go with a 4in suspension lift but that's not in the cards right now. the spring spacers where very easy to put in.

·
Registered
153 Posts
dude, don't listen to these guys. 3" BL will look just fine. I've got a 21" BL and it's f*cking awesome. Was able to install custom woodwork shelving in that giant wasted space between the tub and frame.

·
Registered
600 Posts
dude, don't listen to these guys. 3" BL will look just fine. I've got a 21" BL and it's f*cking awesome. Was able to install custom woodwork shelving in that giant wasted space between the tub and frame.
did you buy 7 3in kits or custom make the 21? do you have some kind of cargo lock installed on the shelves to keep everything in place while driving?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I custom made the 21" kit. i used hockey pucks. I ordered the shelving from California Closets. It turned out great. i can now separate my dress shirts by color. All in all, the sqft between the tub and frame is about the size of the average NY apt.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
You should just lower your jeep... Make it a racer

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sure.

0 to 60 in three days.

·
Detail Oriented
3,172 Posts
Raising your tub three inches above your driveline gear? Say bye-bye to your shifter lever as it gets sucked down into the center console. Unless you came equipped with monkey-long arms to shift off the floor.

This will also lower your fan three inches below the shroud. This can be fixed, but the fix is not really adequate as the fan will be seriously tilted and the shroud will not be, so it is no longer really doing its job, the fan loosing suction power to pull cool air through the fins.

And wouldn't angling the motor to correct this just end up with the drive shaft out of alignment like with a 3" suspension lift and no SYE/CV shaft or TC drop?

The real issue is how do you raise your JEEP without altering the driveline stuff to the point of inducing vibrations? You can do the suspension only route, the suspension + BL route (more common for three inches, I think) or just the BL. All ways will require that your driveline be corrected in some way to avoid vibrations.

The cheapest way is a TC drop. Or you can raise the engine. Either accomplish the needed change by straightening the angles of the TC, pinion and shaft so that they are closer to being straight.

The TC drop is cheap but sort of negates the while purpose of lifting the jeep in that the skid (the "shovel") will still be just as low as it was. That is a lot of money for essentially cooler looking tires with no real lift off the ground. The MML changes the relationship with the fan shroud and maybe the steering gear. (I do not know this bit.)

The best would be a 3" lift with an SYE/CV shaft combo. This gets the while rig up off the ground (including the "shovel") and corrects the driveline angles so that they do not induce wicked, damaging vibrations.

I agree with an earlier poster: The supposed Golden Standard here for an inexpensive lift has always seemed to be a 2" BB with a 1" BL. That keeps the center of gravity a little bit lower in feel when you turn than a 3" BL, it keeps the driveline pretty happy if you also do a 1" MML.

But any lift really needs and SYE/CV shaft setup to work really well. And with that expensive combo done and out of the way, taller lifts will be much easier to plug in in the future, which is a good bet you will want to do. Also, having a modest lift like 3" with an SYE will make it more sellable. Mine did not come with this. It has a craptacular 2" TC drop that looks stupid as all get out and negates most of the benefit of my 33" tires.

I have learned from having not researched lifts better before buying my used TJ. I will correct the driveline first and only then will I mess with rest of my suspension.

Plus, I think my installing a good SYE and CV shaft first will allow me to later do a tummy tuck without any real problems. Though I think a MML will still be required. I do not know. I have more research to do, obviously.

Honestly, in the opinions of many here, such a tall body lift would not look good. It would not look bad, either. But it will look "odd". And I agree with others here that I would doubt that it would be all that safe. And to make it work would involve so much alteration that just getting a 2" BB and 1" BL would have ended up faster and less expensive.

Again, I am a novice with the suspension stuff. But that is what I seem to be getting from this and other sites where the users have a lot more experience with this.

I would hold off on this mod until you have more money for doing it a little better and more safely.

Good luck, and please post photos and a writeup of whatever you end up doing, along with comments on how you did it, how it went, and how you like the results.

Wade

1 - 20 of 25 Posts