Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the advantages disadvantages of both setups? Also coil over verses coil?
Plan on wheeling everyweekend and driving it on the road the rest of the time. T.I.A.

·
Commercial Member
2,299 Posts
What are the advantages disadvantages of both setups? Also coil over verses coil?
Plan on wheeling everyweekend and driving it on the road the rest of the time. T.I.A.
They both have advantages and disadvantages.

In my mind, the major differences (to me) are:

3 link gives you much more suspension travel, which equals both tires being on the ground at the same time (same axle), which equals more traction. 3 links usually are less prone to bump steer issues by design. Note that I say less prone, not eliminates.

4 links do a better job of keeping the axle located within most or all of the range of movement (during suspension cycling). But, even with most long arms, you still won't get the same articulation as a 3 link (that's NOT saying you won't get a lot from a long arms 4 link).

There are many other differences that aren't stated here and that I don't know. Others will fill in those blanks.

As far as coilovers, I know what they are but have never run them. Can't opine with zero personal experience there.

See if you can ride in the configurations you're wanting to know about.

Good luck!

Edit:
@Tweak is running a 3 link with coilovers, IIRC. He can tell you a lot more, I'm sure.

·
Registered
489 Posts
They both have advantages and disadvantages.

In my mind, the major differences (to me) are:

3 link gives you much more suspension travel, which equals both tires being on the ground at the same time (same axle), which equals more traction. 3 links usually are less prone to bump steer issues by design. Note that I say less prone, not eliminates.

4 links do a better job of keeping the axle located within most or all of the range of movement (during suspension cycling). But, even with most long arms, you still won't get the same articulation as a 3 link (that's NOT saying you won't get a lot from a long arms 4 link).

There are many other differences that aren't stated here and that I don't know. Others will fill in those blanks.

As far as coilovers, I know what they are but have never run them. Can't opine with zero personal experience there.

See if you can ride in the configurations you're wanting to know about.

Good luck!

Edit:
@Tweak is running a 3 link with coilovers, IIRC. He can tell you a lot more, I'm sure.
Well if we're talking double triangulated 4 link that's pretty much the best setup you can have. No track bar, no rear steer, no axle offset, full range of motion and articulation.

Doesn't work too well in the front though if you have drag link steering. You need a track bar and you need the axle to be able to move side to side to avoid bump steer.

Double triangulated 4 link front works if you have full hydro steering and enough room for the links though.

So for most people, the answer to "3 link vs. 4 link" is, both. 3 link with track bar up front, double triangulated 4 link out back.

·
Commercial Member
2,299 Posts
Well if we're talking double triangulated 4 link that's pretty much the best setup you can have. No track bar, no rear steer, no axle offset, full range of motion and articulation.

Doesn't work too well in the front though if you have drag link steering. You need a track bar and you need the axle to be able to move side to side to avoid bump steer.

Double triangulated 4 link front works if you have full hydro steering and enough room for the links though.

So for most people, the answer to "3 link vs. 4 link" is, both. 3 link with track bar up front, double triangulated 4 link out back.
Yes.

Everything I said was based on the assumption that by 4 link, OP meant parallel 4 link w/trackbar. He didn't say, so I should've asked

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
There really isn't a huge advantage to either a 3 or 4 link. 4 link shines when you triangulate allowing you to remove the trackbar, which isn't really simple to do in a jk. 3 link shines because it fits very well in the jk.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts