Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered a 3-piece hard top from my dealer but having second thoughts now. Is it really worth the investment? At least noisewise?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Not if you ordered it from the parts department! Check Craigslist and save a grand or 2.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I'm a hardtop guy...don't even have a soft top...just me though...not fully part of the cult yet.

·
Registered
598 Posts
DJL2 said:
I'm a hardtop guy...don't even have a soft top...just me though...not fully part of the cult yet.
Me too, I mean mine had dual tops but taking the freedom tops off is so easy and hassle free..... I may never hook that software top up. Glad I got it though.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have to say I love the hard top too. The freedom panels are great. Popped them out twice last week when the temps got up to 64 degrees. With my $60 home made rig I can get the full hard top off by myself in a little more than 15 minutes.

The only problem is that if I want to take a longer trip camping and I want to have a top on for the highway and then want to take the top off when I get there, dealing with a hard top is much more of an issue.

I am hoping to buy some sort of a bikini option next summer.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I only have the hard top on right now because I don't really feel like dealing with the salt chemicals that will get sprayed on the soft top once winter really arrives and they start salting the roads. I prefer the soft top. As far as noise....i'd say it cuts it by 20-30%.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
I like the hard top when I'm driving to work and back and have to leave my car in a parking lot. Also like it in the winter.

I hate it when I'm wheeling though. It's a pain to take off, and you have to plan where you're going to leave it.

I'd eventually like to get a soft top. I'll probably buy a used one off Craig's list in the spring.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have both tops and I have to say its nice to have options. The hard top is on now and even though it is quieter, more secure, etc, the soft top will go back on as soon as spring gets here.....

·
Registered
190 Posts
This is my first jeep so my opinion is a little biased, but the noise on my JKU with the hard top on is pretty comparable to most other cars I've driven. My aunt's TJ with the soft top is MUCH louder.

I like the fact that I can take the freedom tops off and stuff them in the back, but the storage bag is a bit of a pain. Getting the tops off and into the bag is actually very easy, but storing the bag behind the seat is a problem. It won't lay flat with the infinity subwoofer, and when you strap it to the back of the seat you lose all vision out the rear window. Personally I'm willing to sacrifice the versatility of the soft top for the security and noise level of the hard top.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I don't even put mine in the bag, I lay the first one with the black side up, put a towel over it and put the second one black side down onto the towel. Rolling the back windows down with the panels off takes a LOT of wind noise out.

Love my hard top though, Bought a soft top on craigslist, used it a couple of days and put it back on craigslist and sold it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I bought a rampage bag since I bought the jk used. I could still return it if I wanted, but the way I see it it's a place to store them if I leave them off for extended periods of time, plus I don't have to worry about messing them up if I want more than just the tops in the back of the jeep. I can put them in the bag and toss whatever else I want back there since the bag is so well padded. It was a bit pricey, (bought it through Amazon), but it looks like it will hold up.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I had a soft top on my last JK so I went Hardtop on this one. I hated the way the windows scratched and the bar that blocks the rear cargo area. The hard top is quieter and I never worry about it in the cold, when snow piles up on it or if the windows will get scratched.

I also notice, I rarely take the freedom panels out. I have only taken the whole top off maybe 3 times in a year. With the soft top it was always down, or all windows out, etc.

If I really had a place to store my hard top, having done both, I think I would be soft top except in heavy snow weather. Or definitely soft top all year if I didnt let my wife use our 1 car garage.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've got the Freedom tops and have never had any panels off. It rains so much up here in Vancouver, I would never park it without tops.

I would have been fine with a full hardtop.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts